Thread: Clive Nolan's "Alchemy"

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)

Clive Nolan's "Alchemy"

I say with neither shame nor compunction...I love me my big over-the-top cheesy rock operas. Clive Nolan, who last scratched my itch with the Caamora "She" offering, has returned with another two-disc opus which will delight those like me who need to satiate the craving for grand story lines, multiple vocalists, intertwining vocals, orchestral bombast and high-school drama club-level acting. I deferred on the DVD edition of "Alchemy" (though I'd purchased both the CD and DVD of "Caamora") so cannot comment on what must surely be a stage spectacle to rival....well, "Caamora". I do love this stuff, and there's been a bounty of not-at-all guilty pleasures in recent months with this and Ayreon's latest. Modern symph in general has been kind to schmaltz-seekers like me; I have Kayak's "Merlin" on both CD and DVD, and their later "Nostradamus" similarly satisfies my appetite for smoked Gouda. I suspect my inclinations, stemming from a childhood immersed in musical theater, are shared by some here. I'd love to know what other masterworks of modern rock-opera folks have been enjoying. I'm aware that the prog-metal folks have been making some contributions to the genre, and would love to learn what cheese-filled delights await me there. Therion? Avantasia? I'm all cheese-filled ears.

There was another thread about this not so long ago. The only reason why it is discussed on PE is because Clive is in a few progressive or progressive-like bands. These shows are in no way progressive.

The She DVD was done with 4 singers. The size of the stage meant that it was easy to make the DVD theatrical.

Alchemy has about a dozen, and frequently 6 singers on the stage at the same time. For the DVD, around 8 microphones were positioned across the stage, which restricted the way in which the singers could interact. What this means is that the DVD feels a little more like a concert than a musical. There is acting, and Andy Sears' performance was extremely good. The singers are excellent, but, of course, with the likes of Damian Wilson and Paul Mansi playing minor parts, you'd expect that.

In every other way, Alchemy is far superior to She. The theatre production of Alchemy was superb. There are plans to take it to London next year, and Clive has already started planning a sequel.

The whole thing costs a fortune to put on; there are costumes, headsets, props etc etc. I'm sure that Clive would be open to offers if someone wants to put the show on in the US. Or anywhere else come to that; after all, She went to Bolivia.

Just been made aware he's staging this at the Classic Rock Society's awards night!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Rickawakeman, see if you can find a copy of "Curley's Airships" by Judge Smith (former Van Der Graaf Generator). A 2CD concept album about the development of airships between the wars, featuring several VDGG members as guests, including Peter Hamill. Probably OOP, but worth seeking out.

... but avoid the follow-up, Orpheus, like the clap-infested monstrosity that it is.

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    ... but avoid the follow-up, Orpheus, like the clap-infested monstrosity that it is.
    Wow, never heard about that. Interested to hear it, but it doesn't sound up my alley at all.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cli...Smith_album%29