Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has there been a band that has headlined Shea Stadium (or any huge-scale US arena)...

So the dude was part of a 100,000K + sellout two summers in a row?

Wow

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    According to Wikipedia, Frampton did, indeed play JFK twice.

He also played Shea! (Because Humble Pie opened the Grand Funk show).

At least, when I saw Yes at Dodger Stadium, Peter Frampton was second bill. Gentle Giant opened.

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    At least, when I saw Yes at Dodger Stadium, Peter Frampton was second bill.
    I understand that position, but I have no problem to copping to being a Frampton fan, for two reasons:

1) He was/is a damn good guitar player, with tons of melody in his song writing.

2) That album helped make the magic happen with the ladies back in my heyday studly days.

Frampton was music that worked like a charm on a number of G/F's during that period.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    Who played last as top-billed headliner at Shea? Tull!
    Minor point here, because I am so not a fan of this guy, but I believe the last top billed headliner at Shea is actually HOFer Billy Joel, in the stadium's last year.

McCartney's bands also played there several times in more recent years as well.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

No shame in liking Frampton,

Well, apart from that I Have Been In You thing.

I loved Frampton in Humble Pie. I saw them around the time of the Fillmore and Rock On. Loved Shine On. THey weren't the same without him. Frampton's Camel wasn't bad either.

At least, when I saw Yes at Dodger Stadium, Peter Frampton was second bill. Gentle Giant opened.
    You must have been on some strong drugs! Yes NEVER played Dodger Stadium! The Cure headlined Dodger Stadium. The Yes show with Frampton Gentle Giant and Gary Wright was at Anaheim Stadium!

[QUOTE=jcleary;199233]You must have been on some strong drugs!

Always (plus I'm freakin' old). But I remember the music!

I loved Frampton in Humble Pie. I saw them around the time of the Fillmore and Rock On. Loved Shine On. THey weren't the same without him. Frampton's Camel wasn't bad either.
    Still think Peter's vocals, guitar playing, and arrangements on FC were the best of his career. His playing on Stevie Wonder's "I Believe When I Fall in Love with You it Will Be Forever" still takes my breath away, and I also enjoyed his playing on John Entwistle's second solo album Whistle Rhymes. After that he became too saccharine for me.

Ah but none of these bands have played the Shay Stadium, Halifax ... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    Minor point here, because I am so not a fan of this guy, but I believe the last top billed headliner at Shea is actually HOFer Billy Joel, in the stadium's last year.

McCartney's bands also played there several times in more recent years as well.
    You took my quote out of context. I was referring--of course!--to the 1976 concert at Shea where Tull had top-billing and was supported by other groups, not to who last played Shea. I think it's common knowledge that others (McCartney, Joel) have played Shea much more recently than '76! Didn't Joel play the last ever concert there with Sir Paul as a guest to bring it all 'full circle'--sounds right.

(doesn't anybody take the time to read these things properly--guess not! )
    Last edited by syncopatico; 12-28-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')