Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The death of the double CD

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I couldn't stand Hendrix's Ladyland being amputated from one (or part of) of the better track on the album on side 3, though..
    As far as I'm aware, single-disc versions of Electric Ladyland are not abridged.

In the olden days of CDs, sometimes double sets had the discs in two separate jewel boxes, sold together in one longbox. I have a copy of Quadrophenia like that. Did CTA and/or Kinks Kronikles ever come out in that format? It would explain how someone could be sold just one disc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    As far as I'm aware, single-disc versions of Electric Ladyland are not abridged.

In the olden days of CDs, sometimes double sets had the discs in two separate jewel boxes, sold together in one longbox. I have a copy of Quadrophenia like that. Did CTA and/or Kinks Kronikles ever come out in that format? It would explain how someone could be sold just one disc.
    Yeah, I remember that two sigle jewel box for a double album, but it was the exception tather than the rule, which was those awful fatboy cases...

Yup, you're right that recent Ladyland reissues (I own one copy) are unabridgehd, but we were talking of the first late 80's reissue.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Not even just when they first came out. The remasters of the Kiss Alive and Kiss Alive II (which came out around 96-97, I think) were like that too. How much you wanna bet, Gene actually said "Make sure we keep them as double CD's, so that we can charge more"?
    All record company with this one. They finally corrected it when they released ALIVE and ALIVE II as single discs in the boxed set, "KISS ALIVE: 1975-2000". In this set, each release (ALIVE I, II, III, IV) is a single disc with no omissions. Sounds better as the concert(s) flow together on each disk with no audio dropout between "sides".

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat
    On The Kinks, it was missing one of my favorite Kink Songs "Apeman"...

Yeah, it was clearly only one half of the CD and NOT a combined cd (although that would be great!)
    "Apeman" is definitely on Disc 2 of Kink Kronikles. Each disc has 14 tracks. Had it been a combined CD, you would be missing some songs to fit it to one disc. Since none of the songs suck, you need both discs.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits
    In the olden days of CDs, sometimes double sets had the discs in two separate jewel boxes, sold together in one longbox. I have a copy of Quadrophenia like that. Did CTA and/or Kinks Kronikles ever come out in that format?
    My Kink Kronikles is original CD issue (from the olden days of CDs). It came in two separate jewel boxes. I don't know if it ever had a longbox. Certainly a possibility. I believe I bought it used.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

It isn't. And I never said it was. I just said that there was a double disc version, then a single disc version, and the tracks were indexed differently.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 12-25-2013 at 02:38 PM.

Yup, you're right that recent Ladyland reissues (I own one copy) are unabridgehd, but we were talking of the first late 80's reissue.
    None of the Electric Ladyland reissues are abridged. I have the first single disc version that Warners put out, and I had it on cassette for several years before that, and that was another one of those albums that I listened to religiously. So yeah, I can promise you nothing was ever missing from any single disc reissue (well, apart from mastering quirks...I know the Warners release trumpeted the use of NoNoise in the remastering process, so I imagine that might have taken some of the top end off).

My copy of Todd Rundgren’s Something/Anything? (1987 Rhino remaster series), though while it did come with a cardboard slipcase (missing from my copy), I don’t know if it came with a longbox. The others in the series (TR solo and Utopia alike) all came with the same “galaxy” longbox. I imagine, like all longboxes, they are highly collectible now.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

None of the Electric Ladyland reissues are abridged. I have the first single disc version that Warners put out, and I had it on cassette for several years before that, and that was another one of those albums that I listened to religiously. So yeah, I can promise you nothing was ever missing from any single disc reissue (well, apart from mastering quirks...I know the Warners release trumpeted the use of NoNoise in the remastering process, so I imagine that might have taken some of the top end off).
    I stand corrected then , but an urban legend (maybe misinformed) had it so back then .... Which is why I waited a long time and the new reissue to buy it

Just to verify:

here are the vinyl track lengths
    C1 Rainy Day, Dream Away 3:40
    C2 1983...(A Merman I Should Turn to Be) 13:09
    C3 Moon, Turn the Tides...Gently Gently Away 1:01

the first double disc CD had them as
    2.6 Rainy Day, Dream Away 3:45
    2.7 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be) 4:50
    2.8 Moon, Turn the Tides... Gently, Gently Away 9:46
    Note that these tracks come after the side 4 tracks

the next CD reissue has it as such: (these tracks return to their original sequence, before side 4)
    10 Rainy Day,Dream Away 3:41
    11 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn To Be ) 5:47
    12 Moon,Turn The Tides...gently, gently away 8:53

the Hendrix-Family remastered version of 96 (with that horrible purple artwork) returned to the vinyl track times,
    while the remastered with "normal" artwork had track times of the first double disc
    and the latest reissue (mini-Lp) has the vinyl time lengths
    Last edited by Trane; 12-26-2013 at 05:55 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I stand corrected then,; but an urban legend (maybe misinformed) had it so back then .... hich is whyI waited a long time and the new reissue to buy it

Just to verify:

here are the vinyl tracl lengths
    C1 Rainy Day, Dream Away 3:40
    C2 1983...(A Merman I Should Turn to Be) 13:09
    C3 Moon, Turn the Tides...Gently Gently Away 1:01

the first double disc CD had them as
    2.6 Rainy Day, Dream Away 3:45
    2.7 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn to Be) 4:50
    2.8 Moon, Turn the Tides... Gently, Gently Away 9:46
    Note that these tracks come after the side 4 tracks

the next CD reissue has it as suchthese tracks return to their original sequence, before side 4)
    10 Rainy Day,Dream Away 3:41
    11 1983... (A Merman I Should Turn To Be ) 5:47
    12 Moon,Turn The Tides...gently, gently away 8:53

the remastered version of 96 (with that horrible purple artwork) returned to the vinyl track times, while the remastered with "normal" artwork had track times of the first double disc and the latest reissue (mini-Lp) has the vinyl time lengths
    I'm pretty sure the double disc version had Moon Turn The Tides Gently Gently Away as 1:01 or whatever it was. I remember I had a friend in the 9th grade who was a Hendrix freak, and he had the double disc version (which at that point was the only way it had been released on CD), and I asked him to queue up that track, as I was curious to hear exactly what it was, and at least for the purposes of that edition, it's just the space ship noises that conclude the LP side.

But I am correct that the double disc version of Electric Ladyland wasn't on the market for very long, was it? I recall hearing that literally weeks after the double disc version of Electric Ladyland came out, whoever it is who decides these things up the max. possible CD length. Then I guess when it was time to do the second pressing of Electric Ladyland on CD, Warners swapped over to the single CD version. I think that double disc version was only available for a year or two, at the most.

I don't know the disc Trane mentions, but the time lengths to me suggest that someone made a mess of the track indexing on the disc, rather than cutting anything. Similar mistakes were made on the 1994 Genesis 'Definitive Edition Remasters', particularly the live albums.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I don't know the disc Trane mentions, but the time lengths to me suggest that someone made a mess of the track indexing on the disc, rather than cutting anything.
    It suggests to me that there were three (at least) different opinions as to where 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be) ended and Moon Turn The Tides Gently, Gently Away. For what it's worth, I have the Electric Ladyland songbook that came out in the early 90's has Moon Turn The Tides Gently, Gently Away beginning shortly after the verse that ends with the line "The killing noise is way out of style". There's about a page and 3/4's of music past that line, then Moon Turn The Tides... begins.

Similar mistakes were made on the 1994 Genesis 'Definitive Edition Remasters', particularly the live albums.
    What did they do on that one? I know there was a version of Three Sides Live where if you queued up Afterglow, it actually started with the Cinema Show and...I keep wanting to call it March Of The Slippermen, but I know that's the correct title. I'm not even sure where I got "March" from, but I've always had to keep correcting myself..."It's Colony Of The Slippermen...not March Of...". Anyhow, rather than indexing the instrumental bits in the medley as separate tracks (or even at the end of In The Cage), they're instead at the front end of Afterglow. But I thought that was the first US CD that was like that, the one that came in the fatboy case and had the studio tracks as side four.

I don't know the disc Trane mentions, but the time lengths to me suggest that someone made a mess of the track indexing on the disc, rather than cutting anything. Similar mistakes were made on the 1994 Genesis 'Definitive Edition Remasters', particularly the live albums.
    OK, yes, te story of track incrementation is a sad occurence, but more importantly, I'm kind of happy I was wrong (due to that urban legend I heard) that none of the music was abridged.... Because that side 3 of EL is probably his best in his career.

It suggests to me that there were three (at least) different opinions as to where 1983 (A Merman I Should Turn To Be) ended and Moon Turn The Tides Gently, Gently Away. For what it's worth, I have the Electric Ladyland songbook that came out in the early 90's has Moon Turn The Tides Gently, Gently Away beginning shortly after the verse that ends with the line "The killing noise is way out of style". There's about a page and 3/4's of music past that line, then Moon Turn The Tides... begins.
    In either case, it wasn't to hard to take the original vinyl times, which is the way Jimi wanted it so.

What did they do on that one? I know there was a version of Three Sides Live where if you queued up Afterglow, it actually started with the Cinema Show and...I keep wanting to call it March Of The Slippermen, but I know that's the correct title. I'm not even sure where I got "March" from, but I've always had to keep correcting myself..."It's Colony Of The Slippermen...not March Of...". Anyhow, rather than indexing the instrumental bits in the medley as separate tracks (or even at the end of In The Cage), they're instead at the front end of Afterglow. But I thought that was the first US CD that was like that, the one that came in the fatboy case and had the studio tracks as side four.
    3SL had some tracking errors on what was the last 'side' of the British version (of course, the title makes no sense at all over here). I recall 'One For The Vine' in particular having a new track slapped in the middle of it. I think 'Los Endos' was messed up on 'Seconds Out'. It's not a big issue for me because I play them right through, but still.

I have an Isaac Hayes CD 'Black Moses' where they followed that pattern of the 70s 'autochanger'...so you have sides 1 and 4 on the first disc and 2 and 3 on the second. Oh dear!

But am I correct that the double disc version of Electric Ladyland wasn't on the market for very long, was it?
    I still have mine. I kept it so I could slap the naked ladies cover on it.

The single disc version of Bursting Out cut Martin Barre's short instrumental piece Quatrain and the instrumental track Conundrum (which featured a typically brilliant drum solo from '78 by Barrie Barlow) to fit the rest on a single CD. Seems that Chrysalis didn't want to "give the drummer some" with the single CD issue...
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

I have an Isaac Hayes CD 'Black Moses' where they followed that pattern of the 70s 'autochanger'...so you have sides 1 and 4 on the first disc and 2 and 3 on the second. Oh dear!
    I always thought the “automatic disc changer” was more a 50s/60s thing. The most recent album I owned with the 1/4/2/3 configuration was my weird, ketchup-stained copy of Amon Düül II’s Dance of the Lemmings which was...what? 1971? Any other double LPs I have had have been regular 1/2/3/4 sequencing (apart from older albums like Freak Out! and Uncle Meat).

Echolyn's latest album s/t was released on 2 CD's, even though it would've easily fit on 1 CD. This was likely so it would match the vinyl pressing of the same album.

Another album on the other side of the coin is Focus 3. It was originally released as a double album, but all 4 sides fit on a single CD...which is the way it was re-released.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Another album on the other side of the coin is Focus 3. It was originally released as a double album, but all 4 sides fit on a single CD...which is the way it was re-released.
    Even shorter on CD, since there was about a minute's overlap where you flipped the side during "Anonymous 2".

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    And since we’re on the subject of tracking errors, the IRS CD screwed up the track indexes for “Carnival Fugue,” “Focus III” and “Answers? Questions! Questions? Answers!”

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    I always thought the “automatic disc changer” was more a 50s/60s thing. The most recent album I owned with the 1/4/2/3 configuration was my weird, ketchup-stained copy of Amon Düül II’s Dance of the Lemmings which was...what? 1971? Any other double LPs I have had have been regular 1/2/3/4 sequencing (apart from older albums like Freak Out! and Uncle Meat).
    My oldest brother's copy of Frampton Comes Alive (which I still own) was had the 1/4/2/3 configuration, as does my LP copy of Space Ritual.