Thread: Steve Thorne

Steve Thorne

Know very little about this guy but he always has an impressive guest list on his albums and his next one due in April is no different. I've heard maybe one or two tracks on Prog Magazine's promo CD's in the past but nothing made me 'pull the trigger'.

Music Premiere: Steve Thorne – English Christmas
    Comments 2 Martin Kielty at 03:00pm December 20 2013

Prog is proud to premiere Steve Thorne’s seasonal track – hear English Christmas below.

It’s taken from his upcoming album Island Of The Imbeciles. And, as the title suggests, he’s pulling no punches with his message.

Thorne tells Prog: “This is probably the darkest, bitterest and most truthful Christmas song ever written. Ebenezer Scrooge would have bought ten copies! But the irony is, I really like Christmas.”

He says of Island Of The Imbeciles, which features guests including Tony Levin and Nick D’Virgilio: “It’s been terrific fun to make. I’m really, really pleased with the songwriting and playing. I can’t wait for people to hear it, which is usually a good sign.”

The record is due for launch in early April. Thorne has said it’ll be his last solo release, because he wants to stop on a high rather than continue and record music for its own sake. He’ll continue working with other musicians.

More info is at www.steve-thorne.co.uk.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    I only have "Into the Ether", which is an enjoyable outing with elements of neo and pop, but didn't compel me to delve deeper into his catalog.

He obviously well-connected and isn't a bad songwriter. I'd put him in the same category as Big Big Train. YMMV.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    He obviously well-connected and isn't a bad songwriter. I'd put him in the same category as Big Big Train. YMMV.
    I have enjoyed Steve's albums. He is a talented singer songwriter. I don't think his music is quite as proggy or long form as Big Big Train, though I do see some similarities. Personally, I would put him more in the category of It Bites. Disappointing that this is going to be his last album.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    I only have "Into the Ether", which is an enjoyable outing with elements of neo and pop, but didn't compel me to delve deeper into his catalog.
    Do check out his Emotional Creatures album which I find are his best albums. In fact, Into The Ether might be his weakest album.

I have Emotional Creatures I and II, Into The Ether, and Crimes And Reasons. I like most of the latter two, but EC II is by far my favorite album. Could not get into EC I for some reason.

April is now 4 months past and his website is not updated... Does anybody have information about the state of this album?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Tony Levin and Nick DiVirgilio are on everything!

sitting on "AOR" shelf in my library. maybe it's just the fact that I'm not that well connected with meaning of AOR... Liked how Levin bass sounded on one of his earlier Creatures. not much technical stuff going on there anyway. And I like agressive quitars.

Has that new album been released?

Another fan here. Excellent songwriter. Contemporary folk/singer-songwriter blended with neo-progressive with touches of psychedelia. Thought-provoking/outspoken lyrics, often quite dark in theme. Increasingly more angry/sardonic in tone, as if coming down from the beautiful trip, and realizing where one is (stuck). Notable sound-clips used, from Bill Hicks, e.g., and the words of Oscar Wilde, etc. Great all-star supporting cast.
    Last edited by Reach; 08-13-2014 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gibberish View Post
    I have Emotional Creatures I and II, Into The Ether, and Crimes And Reasons. I like most of the latter two, but EC II is by far my favorite album. Could not get into EC I for some reason.
    That's funny, ECI is my fav

April 1st, 2016 is now the release date of the new album. I've preordered it a few minutes ago.

It arrived yesterday. Whoever likes the 4 previous albums will also have fun while listening to this. This is for fans of IQ, Jadis, maybe also Fish (the vocals sometimes remind me to Fish when he was much younger), and generally melodic rock. It's nothing ground-breaking "new", but a pleasant listen nonetheless. I will give it more spins definitely.

Interesting thing: The CD doesn't have a label nor a number or a barcode. It doesn't seem to be on GEP like his previous records. This is what is stated on Thorne's website: This release will be a very limited edition so don't hang about if you'd like one, should be a collectors item by 2017.

Steve released a new album recently: Levelled - Emotional Creatures: Part 3
    This time no long guest-list, just Kyle Fenton (Cosmograph) on drums and Geoff Lea on guitars (who put the youtube below on the net) plus Gina Briant who plays some flute.