Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Solo Chris Squire

Solo Chris Squire

So what might be his *next* best album after "Fish Out of Water"? (which I'm enjoying very much at the moment after not hearing it in well over a year) (yeah, I know it's 'Chris'. Can't fix subj. lines in this damn thing)

Banned
    technically there can't be a "next best" because he only has one true solo album. Having said, that I love Chris Squire's Swiss Choir album. It's listened to all year round, not just during the holidays.

It's a pity the Fish Out of Water lineup did not follow up the album, as it is better than some Yes and spin-off albums. Surely Chris Squire's Swiss Choir is a solo project (not Squire and White)? I did not care for the Conspiracy project.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    It's a pity the Fish Out of Water lineup did not follow up the album,
    That's what I was thinking.

Every Yes album since CTTE has started out as a Chris Squire solo album, from what I've heard. At least, that's why we haven't gotten FOOWII (pronounced "phooey").

Banned
    [QUOTE=Big It's a pity the Fish Out of Water lineup did not follow up the album, as it is better than some Yes and spin-off albums. Surely Chris Squire's Swiss Choir is a solo project QUOTE]

yes, but officially it's "Chris Squires Swiss Choir". I know it's splitting hairs but officially Squire only has the one solo album "Fish out of Water", which is in my TOP Five all time best albums by anyone. The best release is the recent reissue that came with a DVD. On it is a "Video commentary" where you SEE Chris listening to the entire album through headphones and he comments on it - it's freaking funny as hell. I love it.

Tales from Topographic Oceans (1973), Relayer (1974) and Going for the One (1977) were not Chris Squire solo albums.

Quote Originally Posted by 80s were ok View Post
    yes, but officially it's "Chris Squires Swiss Choir"..
    Had to be, else he'd blow the joke!

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    Had to be, else he'd blow the joke!
    He blew something alright.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Every Yes album since CTTE has started out as a Chris Squire solo album, from what I've heard. At least, that's why we haven't gotten FOOWII (pronounced "phooey").
    Squire does not appear to have made a major effort to do another solo album until the end of the 1980s. The project he began then, the project that he talked of as a next solo album for so many years, was eventually released as Conspiracy by Squire & Billy Sherwood. His next major attempt at a solo album was after the break-up of The Syn, with most of the material he'd written for that project ending up in Squackett. So, those two albums are probably the closest we've got to further Squire solo albums, apart from the Christmassy Swiss Choir, although you've also got some Yes albums were he's been more to the fore, like Drama.

Actually, I think Drama is the nearest we've ever got to a Fish Out of Water sequel.

What's his best from that? I'd probably go with Conspiracy, some great moments on that, but A Life Within a Day is good too.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    A Life Within a Day is good too.
    agreed. still enjoying that one
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    It's a pity the Fish Out of Water lineup did not follow up the album, as it is better than some Yes and most spin-off albums.
    fixed
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Fish out of water is my favorite YES solo next to Anderson's Olias of sunhillow......two great solos's that I consider equal or better than some of Yes's releases....

I liked the second Conspiracy album quite a bit when it came out. The first one had a few standouts (a killer track with Steve Stevens called "Violet Purple Rose"). If I was going to revisit now, I think a really good pop/prog album could be made from the two of them.

I heard Chris in interviews at many different points throughout the years say that he was 'about to begin work on another one' but that never seemed to transpire. I think he owed a lot to Andrew Jackman for his role in Fish Out Of Water.

One day I need to dig through my mountain of old bootleg cassettes and find the show from what was billed "The Chris Squire Experiment" - a relatively short-lived band that played one small tour but there was a couple of decent tracks - was that also with Sherwood? I can't remember now, been so long since I listened. I recall it had some early versions of "Open Your Eyes" and perhaps the fan favourite "Man In The Moon"
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I heard Chris in interviews at many different points throughout the years say that he was 'about to begin work on another one' but that never seemed to transpire. I think he owed a lot to Andrew Jackman for his role in Fish Out Of Water.

pretty sure he mentions it on the "Yesyears" video- funny as hell!

I was hoping on the reissue they would have added "Run with the Fox"...Anyway, a fucking "powerful" Album.....

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    I was hoping on the reissue they would have added "Run with the Fox"...Anyway, a fucking "powerful" Album.....
    i'm not sure why you would hope this...#1) "Run with the Fox" is from 1980 or '81 and has nothing to do with those sessions and #2) "Run with the Fox" is now pretty widely available on numerous releases including the Swiss Choir album where they took the original track and added the Choir...sounds REALLY nice.

Violet Purple Rose is certainly an interesting track, but the lead vocals are weak. Squire and Sherwood harmonise well, but perhaps Squire should have sung lead - although he seems to have a strong aversion, for some reason.

The original Run With the Fox is not that easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post

One day I need to dig through my mountain of old bootleg cassettes and find the show from what was billed "The Chris Squire Experiment" - a relatively short-lived band that played one small tour but there was a couple of decent tracks - was that also with Sherwood? I can't remember now, been so long since I listened. I recall it had some early versions of "Open Your Eyes" and perhaps the fan favourite "Man In The Moon"
    Squire is very open that FOoW owes a lot to Jackman.

Most of the Squire interview quotes where he talks about doing another solo album are either in the period from about 1990 onwards when he was working on what became Conspiracy or are more recent and refer to the post-Syn writing sessions that ended up in Squackett. At other times in between those periods, Squire answered questions about a solo album differently.

Indeed, Conspiracy began as The Chris Squire Experiment. Yes, that was always with Sherwood. They toured in 1992 with Squire, Sherwood, White, Jimmy Haun and Steve Porcaro, with a set list typically of "Open Your Eyes", "The Lonesome Trail", "You're the Reason", "One World Going Round", "Days of Wonder", "Follow Our Dreams". Most of that ended up on Conspiracy 8 years later. One show is currently on Dime

Henry

Violet Purple Rose is certainly an interesting track, but the lead vocals are weak. Squire and Sherwood harmonise well, but perhaps Squire should have sung lead - although he seems to have a strong aversion, for some reason.
    Most of Conspiracy was from the Squire/Sherwood collaboration, originally called The Chris Squire Experiment, but "Violet Purple Rose" stands out. This comes from early 1990s sessions by Squire, Steve Stevens and Michael Bland. Sherwood later added overdubs to the piece for its inclusion on the album.

The original Run With the Fox is not that easy to find.
    The original is on YesYears. A version with additional choral overdubs is on Swiss Choir. The instrumental b-side, "Return of the Fox", has never been re-released.

Henry

While we've got you here, Henry, do you know the line-up that recorded "Return Of The Fox"?
    I seem to remember Dave Lawson (Greenslade) being involved on keyboards.

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    While we've got you here, Henry, do you know the line-up that recorded "Return Of The Fox"?
    I seem to remember Dave Lawson (Greenslade) being involved on keyboards.
    Yes. AIUI, it was Squire, White, Lawson and Nikki Squire (backing vocals) + additional lyrics by Pete Sinfield.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post
    Most of Conspiracy was from the Squire/Sherwood collaboration, originally called The Chris Squire Experiment, but "Violet Purple Rose" stands out. This comes from early 1990s sessions by Squire, Steve Stevens and Michael Bland. Sherwood later added overdubs to the piece for its inclusion on the album.
    The first Conspiracy had a more demo-like production to my ears. Were some of the finals on there actually recorded in the early '90s as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Lo-Fi Resistance View Post
    The first Conspiracy had a more demo-like production to my ears. Were some of the finals on there actually recorded in the early '90s as well?
    The whole album was going to be released in about 1997 under the name Chemistry (and as by The Chris Squire Experiment) and I don't think much happened between then and the final version. Much of the album was recorded earlier than that, so, yes, I would have thought parts were recorded in the early '90s.

Henry