Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Peter Gabriel's solo albums

I've really just been focused on the first 3 this time around, but So is a fantastic album, Sledgehammer aside.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    I prefer 'So' because I think 'Sledgehammer' aside, there's nothing overtly 'commercial' about the rest of it IMHO...and it's a much more energetic album.
    I don't get the general dislike on that album, mainly because it sold millions... To me, only that tear-jerking Don't Give Up is overtly commercial

Sledgehammer and Big Time are normal pieces that are in the musical continuity of Shock The Monkey and other typical Gabe sonics... The difference were the accompanying videoclips that made them huge on MTV
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

So is a wonderful album, just not my favorite. Rating a Peter Gabriel album is hard for me really, because I love them all so much. Just some really hit the spot, and the others are just amazing.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    So is a wonderful album, just not my favorite. Rating a Peter Gabriel album is hard for me really, because I love them all so much. Just some really hit the spot, and the others are just amazing.
    By saying So is wonderful but not your favourite, is that like rating it?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Definitely my favorite vocalist/frontman of all time during his tenure with Genesis but he started to lose me after PG III with the exception of San Jacinto on IV and Mercy street on So. My ranking would probably be I, II, III after that it doesn't matter. Love the Peter Plays Live SACD even tho it's only stereo. Would love a few more live releases of those early tours. Overall would recommend to check out his full catalogue with heavy emphasis on the earlier releases.

I don't like the sound of Plays Live. The drums don't sound good. Except for Levin, kind of a weak band.

II.

The rest I either found boring right off the bat, or have become bored by due to over-exposure. I don't think that PG has any great albums in his catalog, but II is the best of the bunch IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    I don't like the sound of Plays Live. The drums don't sound good. Except for Levin, kind of a weak band.
    A weak band with Larry Fast and Jerry Marrotta? I have no idea what kind of system your listening with but the SACD version of the Humdrum on Plays Live is incredible to my ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    A weak band with Larry Fast and Jerry Marrotta? I have no idea what kind of system your listening with but the SACD version of the Humdrum on Plays Live is incredible to my ears!
    Never liked Jerry Marrotta's drumming nor drum sound. Much preferred Phil Collins and Manu Katche.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    By saying So is wonderful but not your favourite, is that like rating it?
    Notice how I said "hard" and not impossible. Nice try though.

One thing to remember was this was when Morratta was touring pretty much without symbols. This make the drum sound very different. I thought it was cool, bit a lot of people did not like it.

Steve Sly

Songs that made the cut on my personal CDR of PG's first few

Car - Solsbury Hill, Waiting for the Big One, Down the Dolce Vita and Here Comes the Flood

Scratch - Exposure, White Shadow and Mother of Violence

Melt - the whole thing!

CDR time 80:23
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I must say that Plays live never managed to gain a spot that I expected it to have as the sole PG album, a compilation of his first four albums...

Quote Originally Posted by Gladiator1634 View Post
    Never heard the SACD, but I did own the vinyl for two years or so, than I borrowed the CD, but I wasn't convince either.

How's Secret World Live??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Yes, 'Plays Live' is a disappointment IMHO. Did this have a 2-cd release? I only have a scratchy, but still playable, copy of the abridged CD. I never listen to it enough to upgrade, really, anyway.

'Secret World Live' is more expansive but I don't listen to it that much. I have however played the SW-EP many times, with 'Red Rain', 'San Jacinto' and 'Mercy Street'. The former lacks the groove of the studio one IMHO (which had two drummers on it) but the latter two are very strong performances.

OXO hit the spot at the Dome and for a while I played the cd regularly until my partner said give it a rest...

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Yes, 'Plays Live' is a disappointment IMHO. Did this have a 2-cd release? I only have a scratchy, but still playable, copy of the abridged CD. I never listen to it enough to upgrade, really, anyway.

'Secret World Live' is more expansive but I don't listen to it that much. I have however played the SW-EP many times, with 'Red Rain', 'San Jacinto' and 'Mercy Street'. The former lacks the groove of the studio one IMHO (which had two drummers on it) but the latter two are very strong performances.
    Yes, “Plays Live” was released on 2 CD’s. I have it, and always thought the sound was ok given the year it was recorded. I also saw that tour and it remains one of my all time favorite concerts and the best I have seen Gabriel of the 3 times I have seen him. Much of the material I like better than the studio versions.

I also think “Secret World Live” is excellent as is the DVD. I did not see this tour, but the DVD always made me wish I had.

Steve Sly

I'm getting the Live in Athens DVD from the So tour

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    One thing to remember was this was when Morratta was touring pretty much without symbols. This make the drum sound very different. I thought it was cool, bit a lot of people did not like it.

Steve Sly
    Count me in as one who thought it was very cool. Not something I remember hearing much of but I'm sure someone will have some examples.

Never liked Jerry Marrotta's drumming nor drum sound. Much preferred Phil Collins and Manu Katche.
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post

Steve Sly
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Count me in as one who thought it was very cool. Not something I remember hearing much of but I'm sure someone will have some examples.
    According to Wikipedia the no cymbals sound origination was something Gabriel himself requested to Marotta and Phil Collins during the recording of PG III. It also seems to have lead to the " gated Drum" sound that Phil Collins used later on in his recordings.

Details[edit]

Gabriel's ex-Genesis band mate Phil Collins, who succeeded Gabriel as Genesis' lead vocalist, plays drums and provides backing vocals on several of the album's tracks. In particular, Collins played drums on "Intruder", which has been cited as the first use of Collins' "gated drum" sound. This effect, as created by Steve Lillywhite, Collins and Hugh Padgham,[7] was featured on Collins' and Genesis's recordings throughout the 1980s. The distinctive sound was identified via experiments by Lillywhite, Collins and Padgham, in response to Gabriel's request that Collins and Jerry Marotta not use cymbals on the album's sessions. The sound was significant enough and influential enough that it has been claimed by Gabriel, Padgham, Collins, and Lillywhite. The drum sound on this album has been noted by Public Image Ltd as influencing the sound on their album Flowers of Romance,[8] whose engineer, Nick Launay, was in turn employed by Collins to assist him with his first solo album, Face Value.[8] Paul Weller, who was recording with his band The Jam in a nearby studio, was asked to contribute guitar to "And Through The Wire". Gabriel believed Weller's intense guitar style was ideal for the track.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    It actually had nothing to do with the guy from the Brady Bunch, but was a take-off on Jerry Springer-type junk TV. Then they put the ex-Brady Bunch guy in a cameo for the video.
    Yeah, I was aware of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    Why not more love for Up? Very solid in my opinion.
    I love that record; it was the most prog-sounding album he'd done since Security, so yeah, I agree with you and don't understand why it's less regarded. That said, while I agree Barry Williams Show is the weakest track on the record, I understand why it was the video/single - it was the most accessible, with a hook-driven chorus. So it makes sense he chose that one, even if the rest of the record blew it away.