Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIO announces first 7 bands

THE YOUNG GODS (SWI) are the latest addition - just off the phone with Michel.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Canterbury & prog interviews - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdf...IUPxUMA/videos

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    Ok, another band I know nothing about, interesting instrument line-up, vocals, drums and samples.Post-Industrial whatever that means
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Ok, another band I know nothing about, interesting instrument line-up, vocals, drums and samples.Post-Industrial whatever that means
    Definitely not the type of band that will draw me to Carmaux, but amateurs of hardcore music could apprciate it....

I absolutely hated them when I saw them at the Dour festival (no pun - can't invent that ) in the early to mid 90's... thankfully they were second last to play (Les Négresses Verts , which I'd seen before, were last) so I left after 15 minutes... a 20 minute walk to my car and I could still hear them all too clearly as they were so bloody loud (almost ear-spillting). I don't know if they are still that loud but from Ian's post, I can believe that they haven't changed much (and the descroption is fairly fitting)... I saw then TYG as a precursor to techno music really.

I was there (in Dour) for Litfiba and Heroes Del Silencio, and a few other of lesser interest... in other years, I saw (or went to see) Noir Désir, FFF (French Funk Federation) , dEUS, Ozric, Burma Shave and Mirande sex Garden, a.o.... I must've seen dozens of bands I didn't come to see or care to remember at that festival, but TYG left alazsting impression.... but not the good way
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

! I saw them here in the late 80's doing L'eau Rouge one hell of a show ! and an album I still like a lot

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    ! I saw them here in the late 80's doing L'eau Rouge one hell of a show ! and an album I still like a lot
    If we're speaking of The Young Gods, they are definitely veterans of hardcore industrial metal and noise "with a brain". I first saw them back in '92 and they were two guys and scorching. Far better than more well known colleagues like Ministry or Scorn, IMHO. And if the RIO festival can have We Insist! or Ulan Bator or Faust or Kafka, then The Young Gods certainly fit right in.

I guess they could even harbour a band like Swans if the budget would allow for it - which it probably doesn't.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I used to like TYG years ago (L'eau Rouge era) but kind of lost track.
    Guapo played with them at Roadburn a few years ago and I thought they were most enjoyable, put on a really good show but very little like the more full-on Play It Again Sam type industrial sound of before.
    My impression was that they sounded how U2 would if they were any good. I mean that in a positive way. Kind of how Bono probably imagines U2 sounds.
    Ironically, I didn't think they were nearly loud enough.
    They sat down and had breakfast in the hotel with us the following day and told us how much they'd enjoyed our set which was rather nice and a little unexpected!
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 01-27-2014 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    If we're speaking of The Young Gods, they are definitely veterans of hardcore industrial metal and noise "with a brain". I first saw them back in '92 and they were two guys and scorching. Far better than more well known colleagues like Ministry or Scorn, IMHO. And if the RIO festival can have We Insist! or Ulan Bator or Faust or Kafka, then The Young Gods certainly fit right in..
    interesting point... In some ways, you're right....

But one of the main gripes against Zaboitzeff's performance (which I absolutely loved) a few years back at Carmaux was that it was too synthetic... and TYG's sound is definitely synthetic. Actually, you couldn't really get more synthetic than them in the 90's.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    And also , two free concerts on
    tuesday and thursday for students and the public.
    Both concerts will be given by POIL (Lyon France) and VLADIMIR BOZAR ‘N’ ZE SHERAF ORCHESTÄR (South East France).
    They will run at PM 2:30 in the afternoon

2 greats bands and a good way in my opinion to help these musics to be more known , when I was a student , I would have loved to see this kind of bands playing instead of staying at school

Daily line-ups announced:-

Friday - Doctor Nerve, October Equus, Artůs
    Saturday - Magma, The Young Gods, Caillou, Stabat Akish, Ni
    Sunday - Offering, Fred Frith, Artaud Beats, Chromb, Le Silo
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    But one of the main gripes against Zaboitzeff's performance (which I absolutely loved) a few years back at Carmaux was that it was too synthetic... and TYG's sound is definitely synthetic. Actually, you couldn't really get more synthetic than them in the 90's.
    Zaboitzeff's (as well as much of Zoyd's) music has been pretty synthetic since the early 90s at least, but I still like his stuff very much; it's a sort of "composed darktronica" thing going on in his music. As for TYG, there was another very interesting but strange Swiss band called Alboth whose idea was to fuse the TYG-concept with more composed structures, and it always puzzled me if there might be direct links between them (I know there were between Alboth and Stephan Wittwer, again between Wittwer and the semi-legendary Steamboat Switzerland).
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

His solo at RIO was awesome
    I admit I came with zero expectation
    Extremely impressive display of technology being utilized by a master
    I have seen dozens of attempts to do the same sort of solo performance and none were impressive in such a way

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post

Friday - Doctor Nerve, October Equus, Artůs
    Saturday - Magma, The Young Gods, Caillou, Stabat Akish, Ni
    Sunday - Offering, Fred Frith, Artaud Beats, Chromb, Le Silo
    Wonderful lineup, but I for one would love to see one or two more "song-based" projects appear here; speaking of Redfearn or Make A Rising or Beat Circus whatever.

His solo at RIO was awesome
    I admit I came with zero expectation
    Extremely impressive display of technology being utilized by a master
    I have seen dozens of attempts to do the same sort of solo performance and none were impressive in such a way
    It seems like only Daniel Denis, you and I appreciated that performance to its just valor. Everybody else seemed to be too critical, disliking the pre-recorded parts.

It seems like only Daniel Denis, you and I appreciated that performance to its just valor. Everybody else seemed to be too critical, disliking the pre-recorded parts.
    Frank Fromy sat next to me and was digging Zab big time

Frank Fromy sat next to me and was digging Zab big time
    yeah, but we were defintely a small minority in that crowd... Daniel was sitting behind with his wife, and we kept exanching looks during his set, loving every minite of the show (Zab's slow moves, barefooted , playing cello one-footed and reaching with his bow to press buttons far away was also quite interesting)

Thing is that I wasn't expecting much before going in... Of the four RIO fests I've done, his set might have been the biggest gap between initial expectation and final impressions.

BTW, the line-up doesn't look enough to send me down to Carmaux this year.

BTW, the line-up doesn't look enough to send me down to Carmaux this year.
    Oh, but they haven't announced avant-Transatlant (oops...) yet!

I really regret missing that 2010 RIO, killer line-up for me and I was trying to make it my first one. Just watch Zaboitzeff's RIO performance on youtube. Really good stuff. I'd have love it, oh well.

Ian

Oooohhh!!!!... Thanks for that Ian!!!

New teaser, pretty exciting

Ian

I guess I hadn't focussed / hadn't realized that Artus were playing. That's the Vielle a roue player and bassist from Zaar. They are quite good and the vielle player is amazing.

+
    Chomb! (never forget the exclamation mark!)
    Stabat Akish
    Ni
    Calliou

All of whom demonstrate that the French scene remains - imo - the scene that almost every other scene is measured against and has been so for 45 years.

What a bunch of fine, young bands!

salut!

(I don't know Les Oranges Bleus)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.