Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Christmas Films?

Favourite Christmas Films?

What Christmas films do you watch every year without fail?

I watch:
    The Santa Clause
    Home Alone 1 and 2
    Love Actually
    The Holiday
    Jack Frost
    Elf

<Spam Removed by SpamBot 2112>
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 12-19-2013 at 09:53 AM.

Banned
    Anyone ever heard of an '80s slasher flick called Silent Night, Deadly Night? I recently got that used on DVD.

Dinner At Fred's
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Have seen every film adaption of a Christmas Carol. Moves me everytime I watch it!
    Oscar Wild's 'The Happy Prince' & 'The Selfish Giant' are great animated stories that I watch every year. Both Xmas related!

Charlie Brown.. and of course A Christmas Story.. have always gotten air time, particularly when the children were growing up..

ARGH...I smell a pirate here matey....

Sorry, banal as it is, I have to see A Christmas Story every year. I love that film.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Call me old school, but for me there are 2 classic Christmas films:
    A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim
    Miracle on 34th Street (the original with Edmund Gwenn and Maureen O"Hara)

Miracle on 34th street
    A Christmas Story
    The Polar Express, and..
    ...even though it's getting long-in-the-tooth, It's a Wonderful Life. The scene where the cabby puts his hand out for a tip and Jimmy Stewart tips he head down to let the rain-water (that has been collecting on the brim of his hat) pour into the hand of the cabby is pure physical-comedy genious. I wait for that scene every time.

The Woman in Black, BBC-production from 1989. Not a Christmas film per se (i.e. in terms of narrative), but it was screened during Christmas as part of the traditional ghost story series which had earlier included the classic versions of tales by M. R. James etc.

I'll be spending Christmas eve alone again this year, and I'll be watching it along with the single malt, Alban Berg and lambribs with potatoes. I'm contemplating having Berg fill the room after the film is over, tho.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Anyone ever heard of an '80s slasher flick called Silent Night, Deadly Night? I recently got that used on DVD.
    I saw that in the theaters. Pretty bad, IMO.

I would say "A Christmas Story" tops my list. There are just too many memorable lines from that great flick. That and some of the cartoons, like "A Charlie Brown Christmas," and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas."

I think the movie versions of the Grinch are utterly awful.

TCM tends to show a bunch of holiday silent shorts around this time, which is pretty fun to watch.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I usually watch "The Life Of Brian" on Christmas Day..You know, the guy born in the manger next to the one where Christ was born?
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The finest Christmas film ever made imo, and the only one I have to watch yearly is the 1951 Alastair Sim Christmas Carol.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    The finest Christmas film ever made imo, and the only one I have to watch yearly is the 1951 Alastair Sim Christmas Carol.
    definitely +1

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    I usually watch "The Life Of Brian" on Christmas Day..You know, the guy born in the manger next to the one where Christ was born?
    Homage? That's DISGUSTING!!

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    A great film! I still really love watching the Charlie Brown Christmas. Must say also I think Elf is pretty funny for a "new-ish" Christmas film. I also really like
    the Polar Express and the new version of A Christmas Carol with Jim Carey but almost as much for the visuals as for the film. Christmas Vacation with Chevy
    Chase is always good for a laugh.

National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - only watch it but once a year - one of the first DVD's I ever purchased
    "Normal is just the average of extremes" - Gary Lessor

I never cease to laugh my ass off at Clark Griswold's machine-gun profanity barrage about his boss every time I see it.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

yas christmas vacation is hilarious. i like them all it has to be pretty bad for me to turn away from achristmas flick

Brazil.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Brazil.
    Excellent choice. I was gonna say 'Blade Runner' or 'Primer' but 'Brazil' is a much better choice.

Anything -- and I mean ANYTHING -- but the same old tired xmas pap.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Brazil.
    Excellent and unfathomably underrated. Considering that it was released just a short year after Radford's impossibly bleak version of Nineteen Eighty-Four, it always amazes me that Gilliam came up with a work of dystopian black humour that actually challenges the power of a movie completely devoid of anythin resembling humour whatsoever.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    We watch some of the ones mentioned above, and our one quirk is that we always watch Ingmar Bergman's "Fannie and Alexander," which may seem a strange choice but the first couple of hours has a great Christmastime in Russia quality.