Thread: Jon Anderson - Olias (on Audio Fidelity SACD in 2014)

So does this mean the master tapes exist?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

SACD obviously has to be played on a SACD player

I assume you mean that the SACD layer has to be played on a SACD player. Pretty much all SACDs these days also include a standard CD layer playable on all CD players. In the case of Audio Fidelity, the mastering (which is that company's main focus) will the the same on both layers--the only difference will be in the resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    So does this mean the master tapes exist?
    Not necessarily. If the mastering were being done by Steve Hoffman, it probably would, but it is being done by Kevin Gray, who appears to have been more flexible in the past about working on projects where the master tapes do not exist. I have yet to hear something mastered by Kevin Gray that didn't sound better to me than the other available alternatives, though. He does not reduce the dynamic range, add noise reduction, or use "smiley faced" EQ. I expect this to sound as good as it gets for whatever tape he is using.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthNY Mark View Post
    Not necessarily. If the mastering were being done by Steve Hoffman, it probably would, but it is being done by Kevin Gray, who appears to have been more flexible in the past about working on projects where the master tapes do not exist. I have yet to hear something mastered by Kevin Gray that didn't sound better to me than the other available alternatives, though. He does not reduce the dynamic range, add noise reduction, or use "smiley faced" EQ. I expect this to sound as good as it gets for whatever tape he is using.

This is good news. The original Japanese Atlantic CD mastering (also used by German Atlantic) was boosted in the top end quite significantly.

I suspect people used to hearing the album in this manner might find the new version a bit "dull" if it is more faithful to how this album originally sounded on vinyl. I, for one, would welcome a less bright mastering on CD.

As far as the master tapes, I only remember this problem as regards Animation.

^^^ I was just gonna say I hope they tackle Animation next!

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I look forward to hearing a better copy of this album. I still maintain that it's way too busy an album, but admittedly, I haven't heard a good copy. I suspect my CD copy is one of those Eastern Block boots. I bought it used off Amazon.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

I assume you mean that the SACD layer has to be played on a SACD player. Pretty much all SACDs these days also include a standard CD layer playable on all CD players. In the case of Audio Fidelity, the mastering (which is that company's main focus) will the the same on both layers--the only difference will be in the resolution.
    I bought Hemispheres on SACD and could not tell a diff listening to on my cd player in the car....Seems like a scam to me....

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember some controversy surrounding Kevin Gray's version of Rod Stewart's "Never A Dull Moment". I recall reading-over at the Hoffman forum-something about clipped peaks. FWIW, I think the disc sounds fine but I haven't really compared it to anything. I'm usually pretty happy with Gray's work.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    I bought Hemispheres on SACD and could not tell a diff listening to on my cd player in the car....Seems like a scam to me....
    Did you compare the SACD layer with the redbook layer? SACD isn't a scam; it's a high resolution format. Sometimes they sound great, sometimes not so great.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    This is good news. The original Japanese Atlantic CD mastering (also used by German Atlantic) was boosted in the top end quite significantly.

I suspect people used to hearing the album in this manner might find the new version a bit "dull" if it is more faithful to how this album originally sounded on vinyl. I, for one, would welcome a less bright mastering on CD.
    I hear ya. That thing is nigh on unlistenable in my car.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    As far as the master tapes, I only remember this problem as regards Animation.
    The master tapes for Animation exist and are readily available (to anyone who negotiates with the record company, that is). Voiceprint and Jon Anderson didn't use them for the album's CD release a few years ago because they wanted to rush a release out, and cheapness was generally favoured over quality with Voiceprint releases.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/