Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: YES not in RRHOF but Peter Gabriel made it

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    When I was a teenager a friend was 'born again' and decided to get rid of all his Black Sabbath etc records. I got 7 or 8 albums for nothing as he didn't want to profit from 'the devils music'.
    Hey, it's YOUR decision.

(EDIT: Originally this was the entire film, but I decided to cut to the meaty and hilarious part.)
    Last edited by ThomasKDye; 12-28-2013 at 06:08 PM.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Hey, it's YOUR decision.

Oh good heavens, I already lived through that era once. I knew people who were convinced that rock music was "evil" and that there were backwards messages on records, etc. Same bunch of assholes who were convinced that Dungeons And Dragons caused kids to commit suicide! Thanks a lot, Tom Hanks! Oy!

I will admit, though, that for a long time I really was spooked by Ozzy and Black Sabbath. I remember seeing the cover of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath in a record store when I was like 9 or 10 and it scared the shit out of me. Of course, when you're 9 or 10, it's easy to be manipulated by the media into believing there was something seriously "evil" going on.

Nowadays, I realize Black Sabbath wasn't "evil" (which becomes obvious if you've ever read their lyric sheets), there were no backwards messages, that damn Mazes And Monsters book and movie were total bullshit, and the "church approved" music belongs in the same bin as Kenny G, Walter Murphy and Deodato.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That's hilarious. You're talking about an organization chieftaned by people who associate Mike Oldfield with a certain movie that starred Rick James' future girlfriend and the guy who later played Ming The Merciless and Brewmeister Smith. Likewise, I doubt Jan Wenner even knowsthat Kate had a career before Running Up That Hill.
    Mike Oldfield was known for Tubular Bells from The Exorcist, which starred Linda Blair

Linda Blair was NOT in Flash Gordon, even though Max Von Sydow was in both The Exorcist and Flash Gordon. I think you may be confusing Linda Blair with Melody Anderson...but as far as I know, neither of them were involved with Rick James.

Just throwing that in the conversation for what it's worth.
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

I will admit, though, that for a long time I really was spooked by Ozzy and Black Sabbath. I remember seeing the cover of Sabbath Bloody Sabbath in a record store when I was like 9 or 10 and it scared the shit out of me.
    I had a similar experience. I was a teen by then and I didn't get the shit scared out of me but I was offended. I had a very strict, evangelical upbringing. I went through my Rock & Roll rebellion in the early 70s and I had, up to that point the first 4 Led Zeppelin albums. I was completely under their spell. Then somehow I became convinced that it was some "evil force" that was embedded in the grooves of those albums. Well, I ended up destroying the albums. Of course decades later I repurchased all those albums again (plus all the other Led Zeppelin albums after IV). Now, one group that really offended me was Kiss. Never heard of 'em but there they were on "In Concert" or might've been Don Kirshner or something. They just came out of nowhere. I couldn't help thinking, my God where is Rock & Roll going?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    Nirvana were a huge selling act and have had an obvious long-term influence and impact- what's to argue about?
    Although they weren't a one-hit wonder, I tend to think of Nirvana's contribution to be limited to their debut album and theit MTV Unplugged set. I know there were a couple of other albums that big Nirvana fans like, but I only know that one Nirvana song, and saw a few minutes of their Unplugged set, and that's it for me and Nirvana. They SEEMED like a one-hit wonder (followed by a lot of people wearing flannel shirts) to me. And I was already wearing flannel shirts all through college, so...

^ I assume you mean Nevermind which was their 2nd album (I think, never liked 'em myself!).

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsout View Post
    Mike Oldfield was known for Tubular Bells from The Exorcist, which starred Linda Blair

Linda Blair was NOT in Flash Gordon, even though Max Von Sydow was in both The Exorcist and Flash Gordon. I think you may be confusing Linda Blair with Melody Anderson...but as far as I know, neither of them were involved with Rick James.

No, I'm not confusing Linda Blair with Melody Anderson. When did I say that Linda Blair who was in Flash Gordon? I've seen the movie about a million times, and quote dialog from it ("We intend to empty your mind, as we would empty your pockets!", "What a damn nuisance!", "This place is a lunatic asylum"...you want me to keep going?). I know who was the movie.

You obviously didn't read my post very carefully. I said "the guy who later played Ming The Merciless", meaning of course Max Von Sydow. Please try to keep up.

And yes, Linda Blair did date Rick James in the early 80's. That's why I called her "Rick James' future girlfriend".

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    And yes, Linda Blair did date Rick James in the early 80's. That's why I called her "Rick James' future girlfriend".
    That must have been when she did that Roller Disco movie.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    That must have been when she did that Roller Disco movie.
    I bet she blew his mind 69 times.

If we used the names of the people we are talking about when posting, then perhaps there wouldn't be any confusi...
    oh, never mind.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravedigger View Post
    If we used the names of the people we are talking about when posting, then perhaps there wouldn't be any confusi...
    oh, never mind.
    C'mon, everyone knows that Linda Blair dated Rick James and was in The Exorcist, which featured Tubular Bells by Mike Oldfield.

It's time to pick the list of 2013 RRHOF nominees. Someone go find a microcephalic gorilla that hates prog!