Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transatlantic's cover of "And You And I" now available

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    It seems like Roine had to strain a bit to hit some of those notes, not really in his natural register. I wonder how many takes his vocals took (or how much tinkering was required). Still, I enjoyed it well enough.
    Did you say something about twerking?

This would have been such a beautiful song if Neal didn't botch it with his Christian lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    This would have been such a beautiful song if Neal didn't botch it with his Christian lyrics.

Why do most people feel threaten with Christian Lyrics in songs that talks about being positive and uplifting and yet songs like Awaken I don't see anybody complaining about it ?

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    And You and I is such an iconic piece from our beloved 70's that it would be difficult to add much to the original. That being said, I like it. Nicely done, faithful to the original, with that modern production touch.

Quote Originally Posted by logicmandoo View Post
    Why do most people feel threaten with Christian Lyrics in songs that talks about being positive and uplifting and yet songs like Awaken I don't see anybody complaining about it ?
    It's this crazy little thing called "subtlety."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Meh.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Relax. This was just an (obvious) joke. I'm a huge Neal Morse/Jon Anderson fan boy and have no problem with their lyrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    It's this crazy little thing called "subtlety."
    I do not see the variance flanked by articulating the objective when the implication still the same

I like this quite a bit. It's especially interesting to me in the way that they seem to be faithful to either the original or the Yessongs arrangement, except they've moved the key from D to Bb, which must have made it difficult to cop guitar parts that felt true to the original. It's cool to hear it with an accurate arrangement in a key that sounds fresh. This is kind of along the lines of the Stanley Snail rendition of Siberian Khatru, (without the Bruford outburst in the middle), where they really don't try to do something inventive or new with original. Loads of fun , I say.
    Last edited by Burble; 12-20-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Not for me. I don't like it at all.

I like this very very much!

I do not see the variance flanked by articulating the objective when the implication still the same
    Um....okay.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I see the total mass retain.

It's so close in spirit to the original that it's hard to find a lot of fault in it. It is a good and faithful rendition. To me, the only thing vastly different from the original is the vocals. Which is ultimately the thing that makes it interesting. I agree with the comment about Roine sounding like he is singing out of his range. I am glad that they gave him a section to cover, but ultimately I think Neal's vocals come off more successfully. That said, as far as covers go, this won't ever have me forgetting the original, but it is a nice homage.

What I posted on Soundcloud:

Excellent cover, and I'm not real crazy about Transatlantic or The Flower Kings. It's not easy to not only cover this YES classic, but also one of Prog-Rocks all time classics as well. And sooooooooooo glad the vocalists didn't try to imitate Jon Anderson. Well done!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Loved the cover. Love Transatlantic and The Flower Kings. I enjoyed Roine playing slide where Steve used a pedal steel. Roine is sorta forgotten when it comes to guitar polls but I think he's a monster.