Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Stick Men

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It never would have occurred to me to not like The Letters. I didn't know that not liking it was a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It never would have occurred to me to not like The Letters. I didn't know that not liking it was a thing.

iconic stuff and the most representative of that period even . . .

The Letters > Sailor's Tale was (aside from Starless) the centerpiece of most of the first 2014 tour. just overwhelming to see performed
    2trevorsforlife

count me as a love of letters > Sailors tale. letters is jakkos best vocal of the night I think.

would love to see formentera lady > Sailors tale someday though.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    It never would have occurred to me to not like The Letters.
    It's never occurred to me to more than tolerate it. Fortunately that has nothing to do with Roppongi, which is simply excellent.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Order it as well. The sample tracks provided make me think I will like this album more than the other with Cross.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I saw both the early and late shows on the opening night of the tour at the Van Dyck Brewpub. The venture is cool about letting you stay for the additional show, just had to move from a table to the bar area. Here were the songs played, more or less, not in order. Both shows were about 85 minutes, time enough for several IPA's and a double IPA.

Prog Noir (both shows)
    Schattenhaft (both shows)
    Plutonium (1st show)
    Leonardo (1st show)
    Open (2nd show finale)
    Cusp (2nd show)
    Crack in the Sky (both shows)
    Horatio (1st show)
    Sepia (2nd show)
    Larks Tongues 2: Crimson (1st show)
    Level 5: Crimson (both shows)
    Sartori in Tangier: Crimson (2nd show)
    Mirage: Mike Oldfield (2nd show)
    Breathless: Robert Fripp (2nd show)
    Last edited by Wah3; 08-14-2017 at 09:45 AM.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I don't care for "The Letters." It's one of the few tracks by King Crimson I feel that way about. There's nothing poorly done about it. It just rubs me up the wrong way, as does "Ladies of the Road." That being said, it was cool to hear so much of Islands live, including "The Letters."
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Wah3 View Post
    I saw both the early and late shows on the opening night of the tour at the Van Dyck Brewpub. The venture is cool about letting you stay for the additional show, just had to move from a table to the bar area.
    this is good to know...probably would have stuck around for the second set...

btw, level 5 was also played during the first set

Going to the Iridium show in NYC this Thursday, there's something about this band that just speaks to me, I see them every chance I can...

Mike
    Tabletop Genesis - A Genesis and solo career focused podcast, featuring the opinions of Tom Roche, Stacy Godfrey, Simon Godfrey, Eli Noetinger, and Mike Lord - Listen on I-Tunes, or at http://tabletopgenesis.com/ Twitter: @genesistabletop Facebook: www.facebook.com/TabletopGenesis

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I don't care for "The Letters." It's one of the few tracks by King Crimson I feel that way about. There's nothing poorly done about it. It just rubs me up the wrong way, as does "Ladies of the Road." That being said, it was cool to hear so much of Islands live, including "The Letters."
    They should go back to the "Drop In" lyrics for "The Letters." Fripp's shining lyrical moment. Almost as good as . . . um, the "Cigarettes, ice cream, figurines of the Virgin Mary" and the random list of words that Byrne shouts on "Under Heavy Manners."

I'm pretty sure there's a rehearsal version of "Drop In" with Boz on vox (besides, of course, the versions from the '69 shows DGM has put out).
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

A Drop In -> Sailor's Tale would be great to hear.

I'd love to hear Drop In.

Actually, thinking about it, the original GG&F uptempo version with the three drum attack would be awesome.

(I've always preferred Drop In to The Letters. The lyrics may be trite, but I'd take them over the overwrought silliness of the The Letters any day)

Looks like I missed a great set.

Anyone else get an email from MoonJune about the new box of the StickMen/David Cross S. American shows?

Providing a link is proving a little tricky, but if you're on MoonJune's mailing list, you probably got it.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

The download has been made available to purchasers of the set:
    (Disc 1)- Improvs (Bolivia- Argentina- Brazil) (pre-order)
    (Disc 2)- Suites (Argentina- Peru- Uruguay- Chile) (pre-order)
    (Discs 3&4)- Full Show (Costa Rica) (pre-order)
    (Disc 5)- Soundscapes (Argentina- Mexico- Guatemala) (pre-order)

This is every bit as good as what KC has been putting out.

Having trouble downloading the second disc. "Invalid code" ? All the others were fine. Awaiting help now.

Quote Originally Posted by oddly normal View Post
    Having trouble downloading the second disc. "Invalid code" ? All the others were fine. Awaiting help now.
    Make sure there are no trailing spaces or tabs in the code you pasted in. I had that happen to me.

Just tried another browser and entered by paste and then manual and now rejections "code was used too many times" and that is why this old guy uses physical media!!

will try again tomorrow.