Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stick Men

They were decent both sets at The Iridium too...was especially impressed they threw in Big Dog...even an Oldfield tune (which i wasn't too thrilled with)...Sartori, while it was awesome to hear, i didn't think Reuter/Mastelotto did a particularly amazing job or interpretation (here's hoping it's developmental for Crimson's next go around)...the improvs ripped though even if they were one chord based.

_________________________ Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Sartori, while it was awesome to hear, i didn't think Reuter/Mastelotto did a particularly amazing job or interpretation
    PM was really heavy-handed throughout than BB or BB/AB seemed in the 80s, though maybe that was his interpretation. I really liked his playing last night.

I think "heavy-handed" is a pretty good description of Mastelotto's style (and this is not a bad thing--in fact, he's probably my favorite drummer going).

Really wish I could check them out on this tour.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Well, I thought "Sartori" killed last night. The guys were heavy-handed all right, and in the best way possible for that piece. What a great surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    even an Oldfield tune (which i wasn't too thrilled with)...
    There was one piece I didn't know--it started with a straight 4 beat by Pat, then grew around a circular guitar figure in a sort of steady march-like rhythm. Was that the one you mean? I liked it ok, although it wouldn't be shocking to hear it was somebody else's.

It was a damn good show overall. Loud, powerful, adventurous, a good connection with the crowd (small but very appreciative). It does still feel like it's past time to retire "Firebird." Otherwise, not a thing to complain about from where I was sitting.

Buffalo tonight! Very excited!! They play what's usually a great sounding venue (The Tralf) and I have a second row center table. Hoping to grab Supercollider at the show as well as another Reuter CD. This will be the 3rd time I've seen them and I know it's going to be a great night
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Well, I thought "Sartori" killed last night. The guys were heavy-handed all right, and in the best way possible for that piece. What a great surprise.

There was one piece I didn't know--it started with a straight 4 beat by Pat, then grew around a circular guitar figure in a sort of steady march-like rhythm. Was that the one you mean? I liked it ok, although it wouldn't be shocking to hear it was somebody else's.

It was a damn good show overall. Loud, powerful, adventurous, a good connection with the crowd (small but very appreciative). It does still feel like it's past time to retire "Firebird." Otherwise, not a thing to complain about from where I was sitting.
    Yep, that's the one. Tony queried the audience to see if anyone recognized it and my friend did as Mike Oldfield's Taurus.

Markus Reuter is a huge Mike Oldfield fan so including one of his songs is not a suprise.

I saw them last night at Sellersville Pa. Very enjoyable show. I think it was the fourth time I saw them there. The improv was very powerful. I found out, by way of Marcus, that their just released live album ("Power Play")was recorded at Sellersville. I remember the PBS cameras being there the last time I saw them, so it isn't a stretch that they would release the audio.

Quote Originally Posted by Polska View Post
    Hoping to grab Supercollider at the show as well as another Reuter CD.
    The only one available for us was the orchestral Todmorden 513 (although it also came with a free Kopfmensch sampler).

I picked up "Power Play", and 'Supercollider' last night. The woman then handed me a free Marcus Reuter cd "Kopfmensch" (seems to be a compilation and is not listed on RYM).

http://markusreuter.com/kopfmensch

Stick Men posted on Facebook that they're almost out of their supply of Supercollider to be sold at the shows.

Great show in Buffalo last night! Even "Firebird", though not my favorite to listen to always on CD is something different to watch and hear live. They also did 3 Crimson tunes and were in really good form, obviously enjoying themselves too.

Got to meet them all individually afterwards, chatting for just a moment with both Pat and Markus. Very generous with their time, especially after playing an hour and a half.

Grabbed "Supercollider" at the show and also got a copy of Markus' "Kopfmensch". Just a great evening all round.

Grabbed "Supercollider" at the show
    Could very easily pass for a ProjeKct 3 or 4 CD.

Saw them live a few days ago in Arlington, MA (that New England Art Rock society again!).
    They are all excellent musicians, and they were impressive when they played their own music.
    I wasn't cray, though, about their versions of KC tracks. IMHO they sounded a bit thin in comparison to the original, particularly in guitar department. Maybe I'm just not a huge fan of "disciplined" era of KC? Or just compared them to the recent KC gig in Boston?

Just got home from the show. Great, great performance, lots of cool tunes (won't give any spoilers), and I got to talk to Pat and Tony both about the King Crimson show I saw last month too. And all three of them did an ID for my radio show, which was really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Booba Kastorsky View Post
    I wasn't cray, though, about their versions of KC tracks. IMHO they sounded a bit thin in comparison to the original, particularly in guitar department. Maybe I'm just not a huge fan of "disciplined" era of KC? Or just compared them to the recent KC gig in Boston?
    From a comment or two Tony's made, I get the impression this is their equivalent of a famous act feeling obligated to play certain hits. Not always the same songs in Stick Men's case (or hits for that matter), but there's a rotating bunch they choose two or three of for each show. I love these songs well enough and generally enjoy the job these guys do, but I wouldn't complain either if they dropped the Crimson to focus all on their own stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Mountain View Post
    I saw them last night at Sellersville Pa. Very enjoyable show. I think it was the fourth time I saw them there. The improv was very powerful. I found out, by way of Marcus, that their just released live album ("Power Play")was recorded at Sellersville. I remember the PBS cameras being there the last time I saw them, so it isn't a stretch that they would release the audio.
    Awesome! Something to look forward to.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Forgive me if this was asked already but...

What do people here think of Power Play? Is it essential if you have the studio albums?
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    Forgive me if this was asked already but...

What do people here think of Power Play? Is it essential if you have the studio albums?
    I like Power Play, but IMHO it isn't essential if you have studio versions. Especially if you already have "Deep", which I think has a better vocal performance of "Crack the Sky". Power Play is recorded very well, but there is no audience interaction and you barely hear the crowd between songs. For me, I like a live album to sound live - warts and all.

I like Power Play, but IMHO it isn't essential if you have studio versions. ... there is no audience interaction and you barely hear the crowd between songs.
    Agreed. More important for me, the live tracks are played basically the same as on the studio recordings. PP has one improv (and a solid one) and they do a little jamming with "Open" fittingly enough, but that's about it. The other initial appeal was the first good-sounding release of "Breathless," but that's also on Collider now.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ I suspected that might be the case, so thanks for confirming!
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

KONNEKTED (Free Download)
    by Stick Men
    https://stickmen.bandcamp.com/album/...-free-download

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    KONNEKTED (Free Download)
    by Stick Men
    https://stickmen.bandcamp.com/album/...-free-download
    I think I'll pick up a physical copy when I catch Crimson later this month.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    I think I'll pick up a physical copy when I catch Crimson later this month.
    This is a DL companion to the physical album. Download and enjoy!

The Stick Men are releasing a free digital download companion album to the limited edition promotional CD "KOLLEKTED" (Blue), which is currently available exclusively at King Crimson concerts. For this download version we've assembled some other favorites under the name "KONNEKTED" (Red), and included are also some rather odd tracks from the catalogue. Enter "0" (zero) to download for free. And please tell your friends!

Damn. I was hoping they had a new live set or something. I suppose this looks like a good sampler for newbies (and I'm sure they'll have a lot of possible new ears in the Crimson audiences).