Thread: Underground Railroad

Underground Railroad

I was playing Through and Through earlier and I realised I've not heard any news from them for quite a while. Does anyone know if they're still active? I wouldn't mind a third album!

I know that their guitarist, Bill Pohl, is now with Thinking Plague, and I believe will be contributing some composition to their next album. Since he moved to Colorado, I don't know that he's working with the other 3 members of Underground Railroad. I agree though, I'd welcome another album. I'd love to see how the next TP album sounds with Bill on it too.
    Last edited by bill g; 12-16-2013 at 02:55 PM.

The Underground Railroad is totally dormant at the moment. The most exciting related thing is that Bill Pohl is currently a member of Thinking Plague. Rumor has it that Mike Johnson is writing new music to incorporate the new double guitar configuration.

The Underground Railroad wrote a third album's worth of material and took a stab at recording some basic tracks before Bill Pohl's move out of state, but the results were somewhat uninspiring, at least to me. I wish I could be more uplifting, but there aren't any concrete plans for next steps.

Kurt Rongey

whatever you do next Kurt, there are fans like me out there who want to hear it.

cheers and Happy Holidays!

"Angels die, redemption rages
    The age of man on an empty page
    And chances are
    This will save your soul or break it forever "

Hi Kurt,

would die for a third Album!

Happy Holidays!

I wouldn't die, but I'd damn sure buy it.

Thanks for letting us know, Kurt. I'm sorry to hear about UR's dormancy, but I'll be looking out for some UR sounds in the next Thinking Plague album And what about your solo career? Is that dormant too or is there a possibility of a fourth album?

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    their guitarist and main writer, Bill Pohl
    Bill wasn't their main writer, though he was one of them. Statistically, I think Kurt wrote more of the material than anybody else in the band.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    The Underground Railroad is totally dormant at the moment. The most exciting related thing is that Bill Pohl is currently a member of Thinking Plague. Rumor has it that Mike Johnson is writing new music to incorporate the new double guitar configuration.

The Underground Railroad wrote a third album's worth of material and took a stab at recording some basic tracks before Bill Pohl's move out of state, but the results were somewhat uninspiring, at least to me. I wish I could be more uplifting, but there aren't any concrete plans for next steps.
    Sorry to hear that, Kurt. The Underground Railroad is high up on my short list of favorite modern prog bands and I love TAT and TOoC! But like a few others said, anything you put out will be very welcome!

I'd heard about Bill joining Thinking Plague, an excellent band. I just hope they open things up for more improvisational sections to accommodate Bill's amazing playing.

Funny, I just did a gig in the Dallas/Fort Worth area on Saturday and I thought of looking Bill up, but my down time was very limited. I didn't even know that he moved away, but then again, we haven't been in touch for a good while.

Anyway, best of luck with future endeavors, Kurt! No bullshit, you're one of my very favorite composers of this stuff we call "prog" in these parts! And btw, "Through and Through" is in my top 5 "prog epics" list. It took me a while to absorb it, but it was well worth the effort; great, great stuff!

Love the two UR albums. I was really disappointed when I first hear the 3rd album wouldn't be recorded. I have zero interest in Thinking Plague (though I wish Bill a lot of luck), but if a 3rd UR album ever surfaces, it will certainly be an auto-buy.

Kurt has three solo albums (at least that I know of) that are very good. About half of "That Was Propaganda" sounds like it could've been an UR album, no small thanks to the fact that Bill Pohl plays on it. There's some terrific writing on it; recommended to fans of the band!

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Love the two UR albums. I was really disappointed when I first hear the 3rd album wouldn't be recorded. I have zero interest in Thinking Plague (though I wish Bill a lot of luck)
    I have lots and lots of interest in both UR and Plague - and I wish Bill the best of luck as well. More UR sometime in the future? That'd be great. But the already existing two albums are great enough to last.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Bill wasn't their main writer, though he was one of them. Statistically, I think Kurt wrote more of the material than anybody else in the band
    Yes, I'm sorry it was late last night when I posted that.

And I didn't know about Kurt's solo albums, that's great to hear. I'm especially pumped about hearing 'That Was Propaganda'.

Kurt has three solo albums (at least that I know of) that are very good.
    All highly recommended. As is Bill Pohl's solo album Solid Earth.

Writing credits were pretty even between Bill and me on both UR albums. I love collaborative writing, and that's what distinguishes a band effort from a solo album. Some of the shorter songs were more one person than another ("The Canal at Sunset" mostly by Bill, "May-Fly" mostly by me for instance). But it's pretty hard for me to pick apart what was me and what was Bill in some of the longer tracks like "Through and Through," The Doorman," "Creeper," and "Julian II".

Thanks everybody for the encouraging words. One of these days things will loosen up to record some more music. It's nice to hear people are still listening.

I love the two UR albums, too, but I admit to being intrigued by Bill being in Thinking Plague. It really seems like a different kind of style for him to be playing in. I'm curious to see how a more guitar-dominated approach makes TP sound. One of TP's strengths is the voice given to a lot of non-traditional rock instruments. It also seems that most of the music is highly structured without much room for improvisation. I suspect that this will change for the next TP album and it's nice to see a band with the courage to change!

Since Underground Railroad is down a guitarist, I'd be interested in hearing what Kurt and Ernie (aka No Pride) could come up with together. You could call it Bad Dog UR... ?

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    I love the two UR albums, too, but I admit to being intrigued by Bill being in Thinking Plague. It really seems like a different kind of style for him to be playing in. I'm curious to see how a more guitar-dominated approach makes TP sound. One of TP's strengths is the voice given to a lot of non-traditional rock instruments. It also seems that most of the music is highly structured without much room for improvisation. I suspect that this will change for the next TP album and it's nice to see a band with the courage to change!
    The dual guitar sound was sure great live. Looking forward to what the new stuff will sound like

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Mike Johnson is arguably one of the most consistent composers working with actual charts in modern progressive rock music - meaning that much of his music takes on a near-scholarly approach to the actual writing process. Still, the latest studio Plague-release (Decline and Fall) was probably their most "rock" or even "guitar-focused" album since In This Life, and I personally found that one of the most compelling aspects of it. Even UR moved into meticulously dense waters with pieces like "Through and Through", so I'm not altogether sure about this being alien terrain for Bill P. at all.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post
    Since Underground Railroad is down a guitarist, I'd be interested in hearing what Kurt and Ernie (aka No Pride) could come up with together. You could call it Bad Dog UR... ?

Actually a great idea, but for the geographic issues. Count me as another fan of UR. I prefer the second album, but spun Through & Through quite recently and really enjoyed it.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhard View Post

That would be a major thrill for me, but first of all, the UR is based in Fort Worth, TX and I'm in Chicago, IL. Second, I'm not absolutely certain I could pull off some of those snakey, gymnastic lines that Kurt writes; at the very least, I'd have to practice my butt off! Bill Pohl has some BIG chops; me, not so much. But I like the band name.

That would be a major thrill for me, but first of all, the UR is based in Fort Worth, TX and I'm in Chicago, IL. Second, I'm not absolutely certain I could pull off some of those snakey, gymnastic lines that Kurt writes; at the very least, I'd have to practice my butt off! Bill Pohl has some BIG chops; me, not so much. But I like the band name.
    You're way too modest. Bill is a great guitarist and definitely has some chops. His style is different from yours, but I have every confidence you'd be awesome paired with Kurt. Plus, this would be "Bad Dog UR," totally different from either group. Nobody's shoes to fill.

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    You're way too modest. Bill is a great guitarist and definitely has some chops. His style is different from yours, but I have every confidence you'd be awesome paired with Kurt. Plus, this would be "Bad Dog UR," totally different from either group. Nobody's shoes to fill.
    Well, thanks for the vote of confidence. It's a nice fantasy (for me at least), but it's logistically unlikely.

Much respect for Ernie. It would be great to collaborate on something someday if the fates allow.

I'd be hard pressed to recall a more wonderful musical evening than the one spent in a basement in Louisville listening to the UR trio. Kurt on drums just killed it. Just one of those magic evenings that has stuck with me over the years (and gets re-lit every time I spin TOOC.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrailroad View Post
    Much respect for Ernie. It would be great to collaborate on something someday if the fates allow.
    Thanks, Kurt! I'm smiling like the Cheshire Cat.