Thread: Brad Paisley vs. Roy Clark

Brad Paisley vs. Roy Clark

Who has the edge here? Why? Because. (I was Very tempted to use the footage of Roy on the Odd Couple. THAT was a stellar performance. But to be fair, I used both on electrics)

It a small way, they are kind of "apples and oranges"

Roy Clark has some be-bop in his playing (think Herb Ellis or Tal Farlow) and, in your examples, it shows up more prevalent in this partcular vid's tone

Paisley goes for the traditional twang - always has - BUT has more modern influences in his playing, including rock

I have to go with Brad here. Agree they are a bit different. Brad has a much more robust sound and more precise style. A better comparison with Brad would be Steve Morse.

Roy Clark does has much more "Jazz" stylings in his playing than Brad. Both are VERY good and I agree with Jubal about the Brad SM comparision.

I'll have to troll Youtube for some more Roy vids...

I'd go with Roy because he never recorded a song called I'd Like To Check You For Ticks.

Without Roy would there be a Brad Paisley?

Yeah comparisons are kinda foolish actually. I am a Steve Howe fan, but how can I compare him to Jerry Reed or Steve Vai or Larry Carlton and why would I bother really. "Great Guitarists All"
    Of course, not being of the daily persuasion in this opinion laden public prog bathhouse, my diatribe of recent lucubration is perhaps as welcome as a rats teat. One often is forced to weigh the desire to flash judgment within against the effort required as well as the value this knowledge will be to the greater good of all mankind or whatever inhabits the current spa. At best, its a slippery slope.

Admittedly, I'm not intimately familiar with either guitar player, though I've heard Brad's live album and I used to watch Roy on the tv show, "Hee Haw" when I was a little kid. I'd say the video chosen for Brad was more representative of what he does. Roy's playing a very old Brazilian samba (Tico, Tico was actually written in 1917) and he kind of fudged some parts of it, but to be fair, he's not known for playing Brazilian music. And the only improvising he did was kind of a percussion solo on guitar. I have that Dixie Dregs concert video and Steve Morse is really tearing it up! I always thought he was among the best of the "chicken pickers," but of course, it's just a part of what he does.

Chicken pickin' is basically the country version of "shred" and just as the rock shredders can tend to sound similar to one another, it's the same for the chicken pickers; there's an inherent lexicon in those respective styles. There's a bunch of amazing country pickers; Brent Mason, Scotty Anderson, Johnny Hiland, the three guys from The Hellecasters... and the list goes on and on.

Here's a cute and impressive "four hands, one guitar" version of "Tico, Tico:"

Quote Originally Posted by Classic Progressive View Post
    and why would I bother really.

For the fun of it? For discussion's sake?

I'd still take Roy over Brad any day. I remember being impressed by Roy's chicken pickin' years ago. Of course then there was Mr. guitar himself Chet Atkins.