Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who do you rate that remain unsigned

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    Now I know how Gabriel feels - releasing an album every 8 years! It's hard work.
    You're probably at the point now where Gabriel would need to "redo" the songs. So go ahead, redo them!

Ha! Actually, three of the songs are in fact "re-dos" from demos, the others are new. Whenever I write something I like better than the demo songs, the demo songs get pushed down the list of potential album tracks. In fact, the three songs were going to be released by Kinesis, but then I started writing new material, which ended up being Ad Infinitum.

So, there is truth in humor!

Vicky, I don't know how you feel about reissues of defunct bands (as opposed to great current unsigned bands) but Mandrake Memorial deserve somebody's attention. Their three LPs on Poppy Records (1969, 1970 & 1972) have only been issued on limited edition CDs by Collector's Choice in truly crappy LP dubs (skips encoded into the master, no noise reduction!) that are now fetching absurd prices.

Mandrake also recorded an all-acoustic album in 1971 (twenty years before the "unplugged" phenomenon became commonplace) which has never been released by anybody anywhere. Three of the original quartet are still living, and deserve more acclaim for what they accomplished.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 12-26-2013 at 03:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    Yeah, I would say that is pretty harsh and shows you have no idea what time, effort, sweat, time, money, time, oh yeah, did I mention Time that goes into committing to produce an albums worth of material you feel worthy to put your name on and is not utter crap, filler or rehashing sufficient to withstand the unbelievable harsh criticism that I would receive on this forum?

Also, at age 48 and trying to support a family, an ex-wife, a child, two step,children and maintain a career as a trademark attorney sort of gets in the way. So, as much as I would love doing an album, having a contractual commitment would put a fire under my butt. How many times have you heard a signed musician being forced to do an album because they were contractual obligated to? The Beatles had to produce two albums a year plus two singles. A contract, i.e. a legal obligation, forces you to focus.

As a chronic procrastinator, as opposed to a prognosticator, I need that little bit of force.
    Me too! It kind of brings your head into focusing on why the heck you're doing any music at all. I'm a truck driver and I think I might take some unscheduled vacation time if I OWED a label a CD. Of course, it would also help if I believed the label would promote the hell out of it.
    A spirit with a vision is a dream with a mission!

Quote Originally Posted by Esoteric View Post
    I'm interested in bands you really like that are not signed by another label ....
    Ok, As an example of a band working at home, doing their own way to be finally be famous, is about Porcupine Tree, their biography is quite interesting.... no labels conditions...

iamthemorning has one of the top rated albums of 2012, and is currently working on their second album. I believe they are looking for a label. They have an EP on Bandcamp right now.

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=7504

Gate6 from Holland is another band I'm big on. Their singer, Erik Masselink, has pipes of steel. http://gate6.bandcamp.com/album/god-machines
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Interesting thread - subscribed.

And it's fun to read those real-life comments from bands (ie. adinfinitum's) - always a good reminder to us fans that many, if not most of the prog musicians we enjoy music from have jobs to pay the bills, families....lives!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Interesting thread - subscribed.

And it's fun to read those real-life comments from bands (ie. adinfinitum's) - always a good reminder to us fans that many, if not most of the prog musicians we enjoy music from have jobs to pay the bills, families....lives!
    Virtually all of the prog bands I know have another income even Haken/Chrome Hoof/The Tangent etc It's just the reality. If you make "funny music" you have to earn a living with something else, as well. But that's OK, cause you do it because you love it

PS Esoteric are a top label to work with if anyone is considering working with them.