Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Step Forward and Identify Yourself

The eons are closing
    Welcome home Wease.

- Thomas

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

How am I?
    Ugh I mean I dont want to drag everyone down...
    ...but 2020 has been peek 2020 for me. My husband I bought a house up in Sacramento and we moved here back in may. Then in august without any real warning at all he passed away. Thankfully I'm still close enough to my friends/family back in the bay area so I'm able to get help and support and stuff.
    I'm on facebook too if some folks want to follow. also on twitter if you want spicier takes, heh.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

You've also got us here , IMWeasel.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I can't imagine, for the life of me, have devasting that loss must be for your Weas. It makes me quite sad. I'm very happy you have a support network, and, as Gruna said, you have everyone here. Please take good care of yourself. I'm also happy you found a house, I hope this brings solace.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I can't imagine, for the life of me, have devasting that loss must be for your Weas. It makes me quite sad. I'm very happy you have a support network, and, as Gruna said, you have everyone here. Please take good care of yourself. I'm also happy you found a house, I hope this brings solace.
    Why ya gotta bring my sister into this???

What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    How am I?
    ...but 2020 has been peek 2020 for me. My husband I bought a house up in Sacramento and we moved here back in may. Then in august without any real warning at all he passed away. Thankfully I'm still close enough to my friends/family back in the bay area so I'm able to get help and support and stuff.
    I'm on facebook too if some folks want to follow. also on twitter if you want spicier takes, heh.
    I'm very sorry to hear this. Please hang in there, and don't be a stranger around this place. Friends and family are so important.

Quote Originally Posted by IMWeasel View Post
    How am I?
    That really is sad news. Hope you find support with friends and family and of sourse the people around here.

Should I revive the introductions thread? I think I should

Hiya, I'm Aaron, I'm 22, I'm from Devon, and I listen to far too much music. I've also been playing bass for about 3 years now.

I got into Rush and Cardiacs hard, and my brain's still recovering fro the sheer musical complexity I've been exposed to. Seriously those bands freaking slap.

Welcome aboard.

Torbay is a great part of the UK - I spent 2 weeks there many years ago, always promised myself I'd go back but haven't made it yet.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by antlermagick View Post

Hiya, I'm Aaron, I'm 22, I'm from Devon, and I listen to far too much music. I've also been playing bass for about 3 years now.

I got into Rush and Cardiacs hard, and my brain's still recovering fro the sheer musical complexity I've been exposed to. Seriously those bands freaking slap.
    Yes, welcome aboard. It's good to have you here!

Rush and Cardiacs are two of my favorite bands, so you have good taste IMO.

Keep up the bass playing too, it's always nice to have more musicians around these parts.

Hi Aaron, I'll just echo the above comments. Welcome here!!

Welcome in!

Welcome, Aaron. It's great to see some young, new blood 'round here. Most of us are geezers, but this is a fun bunch. Prepare to spend a ton of money on music.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Welcome
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Always good to get some younger perspectives around here. Any good younger bands you have come across that you would recommend?

online from time to time Czyszy's Avatar
    Hey! I'd have to apologize for not properly introducing myself here. I think some of you even thought I was a sockpuppet or something. But actually, no.

I'm Czyszy. I'm from Poland. My English may sometimes feel a bit dodgy because I don't speak it every day.

Since 2013 ish I've been listening to a lot of progressive rock music. I love 70s classics and also new stuff with a retro vibe. Bands such as: Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Caravan, Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Kaipa, Anyone's Daughter, IQ, The Flower Kings, Echolyn, Transatlantic, The Tangent, Simon Says, Wobbler, Needlepoint and so on. I find the textures and sonic qualities found in 70s music so satisfying. I have a soft spot for 20+ minute songs. I don't like metal all that much. It just doesn't tug my heart the way less heavy kind of music does. I'm also an indie music producer. You can find me on YouTube, Bandcamp and Progarchives.com (as hrychu).

Welcome in!!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Hey! I'd have to apologize for not properly introducing myself here. I think some of you even thought I was a sockpuppet or something. But actually, no.

I'm Czyszy. I'm from Poland. My English may sometimes feel a bit dodgy because I don't speak it every day.

Since 2013 ish I've been listening to a lot of progressive rock music. I love 70s classics and also new stuff with a retro vibe. Bands such as: Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, Caravan, Todd Rundgren's Utopia, Kaipa, Anyone's Daughter, IQ, The Flower Kings, Echolyn, Transatlantic, The Tangent, Simon Says, Wobbler, Needlepoint and so on. I find the textures and sonic qualities found in 70s music so satisfying. I have a soft spot for 20+ minute songs. I don't like metal all that much. It just doesn't tug my heart the way less heavy kind of music does. I'm also an indie music producer. You can find me on YouTube, Bandcamp and Progarchives.com (as hrychu).
    Welcome! That's a nice selection of bands you've mentioned there!

Your mention of Simon Says made me think of their great (debut?) album, Ceinwen, so that's my next listen! I'd sort of forgotten about the band, but I only have Ceinwen and Tardigrade, neither of which I've listened to in a long time, and I see there are a few other albums. Ceinwen has a very unusual mix of elements (for the time it came out, anyway).

Welcome aboard! You have quite a few interests in common with some folks here (myself included).

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Your mention of Simon Says made me think of their great (debut?) album, Ceinwen, so that's my next listen! I'd sort of forgotten about the band, but I only have Ceinwen and Tardigrade, neither of which I've listened to in a long time, and I see there are a few other albums. Ceinwen has a very unusual mix of elements (for the time it came out, anyway).
    Oh man, I loved Tardigrade when it came out in late 2008. I had just started a new job, and I remember listening to it a lot at work and in the car that October. Good times.

I should dust that one off and listen again. I used to have Ceinwen on CD too, but I think I sold it a few years back.

Welcome, Czyszy. Nice selection of bands you mention. Pretty much the same style of stuff I like in prog, too. You'll have fun here.
    Last edited by Lopez; 08-19-2021 at 12:44 PM.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Today is World Orangutan Day! Consider donating to a wildlife advocacy group. According to the Wold Conservation Society, orangutans are charismatic and intelligent! So true.

Very cool! Welcome aboard, don't be a stranger!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Today is World Orangutan Day! Consider donating to a wildlife advocacy group. According to the Wold Conservation Society, orangutans are charismatic and intelligent! So true.
    It's the orange face. Everyone with an orange face is way cool.

Peace N Prog I’m Tanglewood Grey

Please allow me to introduce myself, I’m a man of wealth and taste.
    Or something. Maybe not the wealth part. But I’m new here......
    I’m Tanglewood Grey, my friends and family call me Scott.
    Tanglewood Grey was going to be the name of a band I was thinking about forming before the Covid bomb dropped. Someday I may get it together.
    So I’m 53 years old, live somewhere in North Carolina, and I’m pretty much obsessed with all things progressive rock. Music in general.
    My main bands that I love are (in no particular order)
    Yes, ELP, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Rush, Dream Theater, Kansas, Allman Brothers, Grateful Dead, and many, many others. I have been totally obsessed by every one of the bands I listed at some point or another, and remain so to some degree.
    Other bands I like include Neal Morse Band, Transatlantic, Wobbler, Evership, Spock’s Beard, Haken, Flower Kings, Karfagen , (I kind of met a few of you when I posted about Karfagen on a thread about Ukraine, thanks for the welcomes, guys) , Glass Hammer, Anglagard, Moon Safari, After the Fall, Brighteye Brison, Presto Ballet, Syzygy, Willowglass, Robert Svilpa, Ring Van Mobius, Advent, Shamblemaths, Fragile, Sunchild, Kaipa, Motorpsycho, Symphony X, Steve Hackett, Opeth, Spirit Adrift, Prospekt, the Hourglass, Big Big Train, Samurai of Prog, Phideaux, Jordsjo, Pyramid Theorem, Maschine, In Continuum , Pinnacle, Kinetic Element, Cryptic Vision, Cairo, Mystery , Thieves Kitchen , Arena, I.Q. , Pendragon, Pallas , Salem Hill, Ske, Quaterna Requiem, Magic Pie , Vitral, La Maschera Di Cera, Unreal City, La Bocca Della Verita, Tiger Moth Tales, Nad Sylvan, Aeon Zen, Yuka & Chronoship, Rome Prog(J)ect, Tim Morse.
    Other older classic Prog bands include King Crimson, PFM, Banco, Le Orme, Gentle Giant, Starcastle, Druid, Cathedral,Yezda Urfa, Mirthrandir, Kaipa, Fruupp, UK, Focus, Gryphon, LZ, Man, BeBop Deluxe, Happy the Man, Hands, Anthony Phillips, Flash, Funkadelic, Dixie Dregs, Steve Howe, The Who, Moody Blues, Mahavishnu Orch. , Return to Forever, Miles Davis, Traffic, Spirit, Steely Dan, Chicago, Zappa, and and and and and a thousand more I’m forgetting.
    In addition, I play guitar, obsessively!! Electric, acoustic, (strumming & fingerpicking), some classical (not very well, but I try, it’s difficult) some jazz (not much but when I’m in the mood ), electric riffing, chords, scales and soloing.
    And some bass, but I’m not very good at it.
    I have nine guitars (!!) and a bass. And two keyboards. I’m ok on keys, sometimes.
    I try to write sometimes, can’t always come up w good keeper riffs or chord progressions. Or words, lyrics. But I try. I need to get a better recording setup, and learn to do it on a laptop.
    Lot of the timeI just practice and play and jam obsessively. Inspiration doesn’t always come, but I always keep my chops as sharp as I can. Need to make a practice schedule, routine.
    Also I have a pet rabbit, he’s a Netherland Dwarf bunny, about one year old. He’s fully litter box trained , he’s fun and playful, he’s a real trip. He likes blueberries for a treat. And he seems to like music too.
    So, hey there’s some stuff about me. I said before, I don’t like war, I’m disgusted about what’s going on in Ukraine.
    I work in a retail place that sells things, sometimes it’s cool, sometimes it’s a soul sucking beat down. I deal w cool people, families, kids, jerks, assholes, and a few thieves. I try not to let it get to me. I come home, play w my bun, and play guitar. What else is there, music is life as far as I’m concerned. I gotta have music everyday. Preferably Prog. Look forward to having more lively discussions w people here. Peace n Prog!!
    Last edited by Tanglewood Grey; 03-08-2022 at 09:31 AM.