Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Step Forward and Identify Yourself

Quote Originally Posted by IncogNeato View Post
    I'd have to say my favorite Prog band would be Kansas...I love them to bits and have everything they've ever released (many on CD and vinyl doubled).
    I don't know how I missed this! A belated welcome to a fellow Kansas enthusiast!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

I am gailany and I like sports
    Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

Quote Originally Posted by gailany222 View Post
    I am gailany and I like sports
    Welcome! Join us in one of the many sports threads we have here - I know we have them for baseball, NFL football, college football, and others.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    As long as you're not a Baltimore fan, we have the requisite amount of asshats for those teams.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    As long as you're not a Baltimore fan, we have the requisite amount of asshats for those teams.
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Welcome! Join us in one of the many sports threads we have here - I know we have them for baseball, NFL football, college football, and others.
    gailany222 is from Iraq, and probably has ZERO interest in sports that are almost 100% exclusive to the USA.

Now if there were threads about soccer, cricket, rugby, athletics, and others that are truly international, that might hold more interest.

(How many countries participate in Baseball's "World Series"? )

That said - this is a forum about music
    Regards,

Duncan

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    gailany222 is from Iraq, and probably has ZERO interest in sports that are almost 100% exclusive to the USA.

Now if there were threads about soccer, cricket, rugby, athletics, and others that are truly international, that might hold more interest.

(How many countries participate in Baseball's "World Series"? )

That said - this is a forum about music

don't be so sure. baseball is popular in a lot of countries
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rune Blackwings View Post
    don't be so sure. baseball is popular in a lot of countries
    I'd be more interested in hearing from gailany222 about music, and whether Iraq has any significant "progressive" scene, or is that just a Western concept?

My name is Yves. I play Yves on PE.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Suspended
    Mah name is Bob32. How do you do?

More formally knowm as Mr 116.

We do need more cricket fans here, welcome aboard, have fun.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Hi, just joined. I found this forum today while looking for ideas on how to construct Prog Rock bass lines. I believe it will be an informative site to visit and read. I play bass and keys/pedals in a Trio band, doing mostly Prog rock/metal from Rush, Yes, Genesis, Mastodon, Opeth, Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, etc. I'm always interested in learning more (for bass, and other instruments), and learning about old and new Prog bands.

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Welcome Nostromo ~ a fellow Canuck!

Enjoy your stay!

I am Mr. Toad. I have been and shall always remain Toad.

I am Dog Tail Man & I twerk

...so this thread is for the very occasional new member presentations? Anyway, for anyone who cares...

Hello PE from Stockholm, Sweden! I’ve been lurking for some months and just recently registered to the forum. I’ve been a prog fan, on and sometimes off, since I picked up Yessongs and Caress of Steel in my local record store some winters day in the mid 70’s. Since, my prog music collection has been quite mainstream, I’m afraid to say, though I’ve tried to stay open minded. I much appreciate PE to be a great resource to the “yet unheard”!

I started on guitar a few years before that, but never really played in any prog band or created any such music up until just recently. Instead I was playing everything from hard rock, classical, all kinds of jazz and fusion to funk and pop, all through the 80s. The 90s began with me almost retiring the guitar due to some problems with my fret hand. Instead I earned a BScEE and moved a lot more into music production, studio engineering and post production, as well as a doing some synthesizer-heavy ambient projects.

The last few years I’ve been lucky to regain most of my lost left hand ability so I decided to pick up the guitar again and try, for the first time, to DIY some progressive projects and see where they lead. In the process I found lots of music I’ve overlooked through the years (PT, SP, etc) and I got quite inspired by it - I tend to lean more against the “Neo Prog” and slightly-heavy-metallic (Light Alloy??)

With that in regard, I’m sad to see the Artist forum seemingly not being that active, as I’m interested in any discussions regarding prog music - writing, arranging, techniques and technology - from the creator’s standpoint, and maybe collabs eventually. I do know some great and well established musicians take part in the forum and I do very much respect they focus on other things, but maybe for the rest of us… :-)

Anyway, as for my own work, I’ve not yet come that far with my first project, still not sure where I want to take it. However, to give you a feel for what I’m up to, do check out and maybe even enjoy some of my recent prog-ish demos, in my “workshop” on SoundCloud.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Welcome aboard
    Ian

Welcome to the madness...

Welcome aboard
    Quote Originally Posted by 100423 View Post
    Welcome to the madness...
    Thank's!

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Welcome to the fringes hFx!

So, being from Sweden, how do you feel about some of the fine Prog bands hailing from your country, such as The Flower Kings, Kaipa, Pain of Salvation? Boy, there's been a lot of great bands from Sweden!

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    Welcome to the fringes hFx!

So, being from Sweden, how do you feel about some of the fine Prog bands hailing from your country, such as The Flower Kings, Kaipa, Pain of Salvation? Boy, there's been a lot of great bands from Sweden!
    Thank you! Lots of reading ahead!

As I wrote in my micro bio above I was a fan of more "mainstream" prog - the big international bands like Rush, Yes, Genesis, Hackett, Kansas... As a musician I was involved in many different genres except metal and prog. I was distantly aware what was happening while moving about the Stockholm music scene, i.e. being curious about the "Mellotronen" label and the bands around them (Änglagård, Landberk, Anekdoten etc). It's just in the last couple of years I've become more aware of newer prog in general, including the many nice Swedish acts.

In the late 70s i bought the Kaipa album Solo, which I liked much - a bit weird with Swedish vocals on prog music though Roine Stolt is a guitarist I really like, with his melodic approach and it's nice to see him "out there" on the international scene!. Flower Kings has made some nice albums, but I personally find them a bit too "generic". I also like Hans Lundin's new version of Kaipa - sounding very different from Stolt's projects. Too bad they don't seem to want revive "old" Kaipa together, as Roine chose to run his own Kaipa tribute band.

As for the more heavy prog metal, like PoS, I still have a lot of homework and listening to do. I'm not a great fan of the heaviest stuff emanating from death and thrash, but I've come to appreciate Meshuggah quite a bit, partly as I feel I can learn from them as musician, partly because Thomas Haake is such a nice guy

Welcome aboard from another 'musician' (only working with synths, other midi-driven instruments and a computer).

I am what I am and that's all what I am.
    To be or not to be? That is the point. - Harry Nilsson.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Welcome, hFx. Glad to have another neo-prog fan around!