Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jan Hammer - The First Seven Days...

I have one of his later ones,Drive and the only reason I gave it a chance was because he coaxed Jeff Beck away from working on his Hot Rod to play on 1 track. I am so glad I did,Beck is as usual excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Live in NY is NEWS to me. I had no idea it was out there. I need to get me one and a.s.a.p. Only on iTunes huh?
    Amazon had it for $6.93 THANKS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    Live in NY is NEWS to me. I had no idea it was out there.
    Well it wasn't released until 5 years ago and let's face it, there's not going to be much of a press fanfare about a live fusion album that was recorded in 1975 (and is only available as a download). But better late than never, right, Rand?! I think it's pretty killer diller! I was fortunate enough to hear that band in a smallish club in Chicago, probably that year. I remember it as being one of the better concerts I've ever attended and after all these years, it was good to find they were just as great as I remembered them being. They pretty near matched the pure adrenalin of the original Mahavishnu Orchestra, but they were cleaner and tighter. That drummer Tony Smith was and is a very underrated player; he and Fernando Saunders just propelled that band! And Jan is in top form here; terrific Moog and Rhodes playing throughout!

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Well it wasn't released until 5 years ago and let's face it, there's not going to be much of a press fanfare about a live fusion album that was recorded in 1975 (and is only available as a download). But better late than never, right, Rand?! I think it's pretty killer diller! I was fortunate enough to hear that band in a smallish club in Chicago, probably that year. I remember it as being one of the better concerts I've ever attended and after all these years, it was good to find they were just as great as I remembered them being. They pretty near matched the pure adrenalin of the original Mahavishnu Orchestra, but they were cleaner and tighter. That drummer Tony Smith was and is a very underrated player; he and Fernando Saunders just propelled that band! And Jan is in top form here; terrific Moog and Rhodes playing throughout!
    Agree about Tony Smith... dude was badass. Whole band was on it. I play this one a lot more than I realize... but I'm a huge Hammer fan.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    I wouldn't think he had access to anything like that in the Mahavishnu days.
    Very good point and thanks for refreshing my memory. You're probably right! When did the original Mahavishnu fold? 73? And I may have first heard that string setting on "I Remember Me".....which is 74'. Very unique music

Speaking of Jan, How do you rate his works with Jieremy Steig???
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Speaking of Jan, How do you rate his works with Jieremy Steig???
    Haven't heard that stuff in ages, but I doubt that it was the pinnacle of his career. It would be interesting to hear though. Jan's career as a jazz pianist was blossoming in those earlier days; he had already worked with Elvin Jones and Sarah Vaughan, to name a few. I think The Mahavishnu Orchestra brought about a rebirth in his whole concept and approach.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Haven't heard that stuff in ages, but I doubt that it was the pinnacle of his career. It would be interesting to hear though. Jan's career as a jazz pianist was blossoming in those earlier days; he had already worked with Elvin Jones and Sarah Vaughan, to name a few. I think The Mahavishnu Orchestra brought about a rebirth in his whole concept and approach.
    Did you mean pinnacle in Hammer or in Steig's regards..

To be honest, Steig's best album (his fusion period from This Is until Monium) were those with Hammer ... My faves being Something Else and vWayfaring Stranger
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Thanks for the links, but A: It was a little too "boogaloo" for me, at least until that second tune went into an uptempo swing (with a nice short Rhodes solo from Jan) and B: Jeremy still reminds me of Ian Anderson doing his Rahsaan Roland Kirk impression. I guess I've been spoiled by the nice fat flute sounds from the likes of Joe Farrell and Hubert Laws. As always, ymmv.