Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jan Hammer - The First Seven Days...

Jan Hammer - The First Seven Days...

Love Darkness(Earth in Search of the Sun) from the Live Beck Album....Is this worth getting????

There are videos on Youtube of most if not all the tracks, hear for yourself, I like the album a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...even+days&sm=3
    If I like it, it's good.

Better than the Live Beck Album IMO.
    btw the 2 albums he made with Neil Schon are now availbale on CD (but I prefer his earlier more jazzy stuff).

Definitely a keeper!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

It's a great album. "Darkness" isn't necessarily representative, because much of the album is mellower in character. Still a Class A work.

I also recommend Hammer's Like Children with Jerry Goodman if you don't already know it. Two songs from the live Beck/Hammer album were originally from this release: "Earth (Still Our Only Home)" & "Full Moon Boogie". I like this album even more than The First Seven Days. It has more of a full band feel, even though it's only the two of them playing all the instruments. And Hammer proves himself to be quite a capable drummer! Songwriting quality is also top notch.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Yeah, like children is a notch or two better.
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone

Quote Originally Posted by no.nine View Post
    I also recommend Hammer's Like Children with Jerry Goodman if you don't already know it. Two songs from the live Beck/Hammer album were originally from this release: "Earth (Still Our Only Home)" & "Full Moon Boogie".
    Don't forget "Country & Eastern Music"! Great track, worth the price of admission alone.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Don't forget "Country & Eastern Music"! Great track, worth the price of admission alone.
    Yep, I agree. The reason I mentioned those other two songs specifically is because the OP would know them from the live Beck/Hammer CD.
    "I tah dah nur!" - Ike

Got this on vinyl back in the day. Picked it up on CD a few years ago. Good stuff. Haven't listened to it in awhile though.

Love this album

Great album. Oh Yeah and Melodies are also really good. Live in NY is superb. Like Children is like people mentioned - awesome.

I always preferred what Hammer did with Beck, Mahavishnu or Jeremy Steig, rather than his solo albums...

But then again, it's too bad he waited for soo long to release his first solo, because it happened when those stinky second generation synths appeared... So his solo works is often filled with "iffy" synth intervention...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from heroin-addicts to crazy ones

i like it. My fave J Hammer album is Oh Yeah. Magical Dog is one of my fave tracks.

IMO Hammer was soundwise way ahead of most other synthplayers at the time - he merged the moog and oberheim got some fabulous unique sounds, and did solos in a style many others tried to copy:

Great albums:

The first seven days
    Live in New York
    OH Yeah?
    Melodies
    Black sheep
    Time is free (with Dave Earle Johnson)
    Hip Address (with Dave Earle Johnson)
    Like Children (With Jerry Goodman)
    On the Mountain (with Elvin Jones)
    Timeless (with John Abercrombie)
    Night (with John Abercrombie)
    Spectrum (with Billy Cobham)

I say don't hesitate. Get yourself a copy of The First Seven Days. A fantastic album of jazz/rock and synth music.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Yeah, like children is a notch or two better.
    I put 'the first 7' and 'like children' together on one CDR... quite enjoyable

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Love this album
    As do I; fantastic album! I was so glad when they finally released it on CD!

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Live in NY is superb.
    That album is SMOKING! Too bad there's no actual physical product; it's only available as a download (and I think only on iTunes). But damn, what a band! This may get me in trouble, but in some ways, I think they beat the Mahavishnu Orchestra at their own game. Obviously, ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I say don't hesitate. Get yourself a copy of The First Seven Days. A fantastic album of jazz/rock and synth music.
    Actually, I consider TFSD to be more of a symph prog album than a fusion album. "Oh, Yeah?" and "Like Children" (with Jerry Goodman) were more in the fusion vein. But hell, they're all pretty great! I love Jan's writing; wish he was allowed more input in The MO.

The early period of Jan Hammer was magical! The keyboard string settings he used on his early albums....would have been a plus with Mahavishnu Orchestra. He chose not to experiment with that sound until after Mahavishnu had departed, but I often imagine the atmosphere it would have added to pieces like "Sanctuary", "Dance Of Maya", and "Hope". One of his most outstanding pieces is "I Remember Me". There is nothing more timeless and beautiful than that. The First Seven Days displays some of the most melodic chord voicings I have ever heard and his writing was very influential to Kit Watkins and the music of Happy the Man. Not to mention many others of that genre. He had great original and timeless ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    he merged the moog and oberheim got some fabulous unique sounds, and did solos in a style many others tried to copy:
    *cough cough cough* Roger Powell *cough*

And me to some extent. In my earlier days.

Quote Originally Posted by Enid View Post
    The keyboard string settings he used on his early albums....would have been a plus with Mahavishnu Orchestra. He chose not to experiment with that sound until after Mahavishnu had departed,
    I wouldn't think he had access to anything like that in the Mahavishnu days.

I have a promo live album from around Melodies. How does that compare to Live in NY?

I wish I knew !
    Never heard about the promo live album. Title ? tunes? Personel?
    If you like Oh Yeah! Live in NY is for you !

The Jan Hammer Group LIVE on Nemperor AS 424 from 1975:

Honey, Just For Fun, Who Are They?, Earth, Blue Wind

Thanks to KZEW

thanks !
    http://www.discogs.com/artist/325164-Jan-Hammer-Group claims 78, but never mind.
    From the tunes listed, I would estimate that Live in NY is much more powerfusion.
    All the stuff recorded in the 70'ties and never relased... sigh...

btw here is some livestuff from 1962 ! http://www.ebay.com/itm/rare-live-19...item2586d0c6f4

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I wish I knew !
    Never heard about the promo live album. Title ? tunes? Personel?
    If you like Oh Yeah! Live in NY is for you !
    Live in NY is NEWS to me. I had no idea it was out there. I need to get me one and a.s.a.p. Only on iTunes huh?