Thread: AAJ Review: John Kelman's Best Releases of 2013

AAJ Review: John Kelman's Best Releases of 2013

2013 was a challenging year: more travel than usual, and some family health issues at home slowing things down when it came to reviewing the seemingly endless flow of music coming in each and every day. With hopes that 2014 will be better on that front, here are just a few of the top recorded events in jazz and beyond—and this is by no means all-inclusive; there were plenty of terrific albums for which there simply was insufficient time to cover and, as a result, cannot be included.

See list here

John- I just listed Prism as one of my faves of the year as well. Met Dave millions of years ago- typical British reserve and a gentleman.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Ah, more exploring to do, I have the Steve Wilson, Jaga Jazzist & Pat Metheney and like them all, will check out the others. No room for Pixel, Sao Paolo Underground or Blue Cranes on your list, they are probably my top 3 jazz related albums this year? I'm pretty much a Jazz noobie and I'm enjoying the journey.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Ah, more exploring to do, I have the Steve Wilson, Jaga Jazzist & Pat Metheney and like them all, will check out the others. No room for Pixel, Sao Paolo Underground or Blue Cranes on your list, they are probably my top 3 jazz related albums this year? I'm pretty much a Jazz noobie and I'm enjoying the journey.
    WRT Pixel/Sao Paolo/Blue Cranes? All great records, but as it says at the top of the piece, I limit my best of list to albums I've reviewed, and sadly I didn't get to those this year. But they are all absolutely top notch. Cuneiform is absolutely on my list of favorite labels, and I think Steve and Joyce have done a tremendous job reinventing the label over the years.

Glad to hear from a noobie who's already enjoying the journey. All I can say is what is true for me: every time I think I'm getting a handle on what's going on, something comes out that changes my mind (sometimes my life) and tells me that this truly is a trip whose destination is both impossible to see and to which I'll never arrive. And that's a very, very good thing. The day I think I've actually made it is the day it's time for the pine box...

Keep on exploring...there's so much great music out there!

Best!
    John