Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will Peter Gabriel ever have a boxed set ?

Will Peter Gabriel ever have a boxed set ?

I'm thinking along the lines of the Genesis boxed set, lots of un-released tracks, b-sides, live, etc. I've collected a lot of his cd singles and know there is a lot of material out there for him to choose from. Will there be a boxed set one day, and any idea what it might have on it ?

That duet he did with Kate Bush on her xmas special would be welcome!

Personally I would like to see some live material from his first and second tours.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    They could certainly put together a nice one.

I'm interested in the stuff that we don't know about, like that bonus track that came with the So boxed set.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rael View Post
    Personally I would like to see some live material from his first and second tours.
    The Rokpalast show would defo be a great visual addition in HD 5:1.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    It's gonna happen...in 2078.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It's gonna happen...in 2078.
    that soon ?

I'm unsure there is an artist that has had poorer back catalog and reissue instincts than Gabriel.

A guy I went to high school with(David Bottrill) worked with Gabriel a fair bit(as well as many others like K.Crimson, Tool etc) and he once mentioned that Gabriel is a crazy perfectionist and that he has a TON of unreleased stuff and alternate versions etc. For one of his albums, he mentioned that there were over 70 musicians that took part in recordings but only about ten were actually on the album.

I sure would love that long version of Perspective!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I recall many extra tracks on 12" bonus discs way back. Have many of those even made it to CD?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I liked the German versions of III and IV. Not sure if those are readily available on cd?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    Gabriel is a crazy perfectionist and that he has a TON of unreleased stuff and alternate versions etc.
    Well, at least when he dies we'll have something to look forward to. Unless his heirs are just like him: "We're going to release all this old, unheard material, but first we have to spend some time redoing it."

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    I sure would love that long version of Perspective!
    It's just the standard version with a much longer instrumental outro (think of Tull's "17"). A nice curio but not too essential.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    It's just the standard version with a much longer instrumental outro (think of Tull's "17"). A nice curio but not too essential.
    Oh, I've heard it many times. I'd just like to have it all nice & neat on CD.
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

I remember way back in the early internet days when the Paperlate digest produced a series of Peter Gabriel "Rarities" cassettes and arranged for a tape-trading circle to distribute them. There was a ton of material!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

I somehow remember that someone from PGs inner circle was already compiling all that stuff for a box set release.

But never heared of that again.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    I liked the German versions of III and IV. Not sure if those are readily available on cd?
    Do they have more of a Krautrock vibe?

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Do they have more of a Krautrock vibe?
    Well it's a long time since I heard them, but I think it's the same backing tracks, but somehow the German singing really worked well, especially on III.

I also had a German version of Here Comes the Flood, which I think was a b-side of the 12" version of Biko...

The German releases are different in other ways. Some fade-outs go longer, the mixes are a little different and even a few overdubs not heard on the English counterparts. All pretty subtle, but very interesting just the same.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    The German releases are different in other ways. Some fade-outs go longer, the mixes are a little different and even a few overdubs not heard on the English counterparts. All pretty subtle, but very interesting just the same.
    Thanks - as I say it's a loooong time since I heard them...

YEah, those 12" discs had some interesting items. Not sure what has made it to CD. One of the more unusual ones is Shosholoza.

If anyone recognizes this, it's originally from the hilarious movie "The Gods Must Be Crazy." I would guess that PG was struck by what he heard on the movie and wanted to do something with it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I have two of the German releases. In addition to the lyrics, very subtle musical changes. I also have many of those 12" singles. Also, very subtle changes from the versions released on the LPs.

Back in the day they were very important to me. I still have them, but haven't listened to them in ~25 years.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

I played those for a friend of mine from Germany. He said you can tell Peter does not know German and is singing phonetically . Said it sounded weird and funny.