Thread: a new band from Montreal: Huis

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar

a new band from Montreal: Huis

Hi kids!

I don't do album reviews very often (not as often as i'd like to) but I felt compelled to share this review I made in late November. I got an advance copy of the CD that will be released in early January and it's a damn good record.

This is a musical project that began a while ago but really got going when Michel St-Père (the Mystery guy) joined in. it's straightforward symphonic prog so if you're not a fan of this genre, you may want to pass.

Despite Guardian Angels is the first album by prog rock band Huis. The band is composed of an excellent gathering of seasoned veterans of the Montreal music scene including Michel Joncas on bass, Pascal Lapierre on keyboards, Sylvain Descoteaux on vocals, William Régnier on drums and Michel St-Père on guitars. Formed in late 2009 by Michel and Pascal, with Sylvain, William and Michel joining the band more recently, the quintet hit the studios early in the summer of 2013 to record their sensational debut album.

Despite Guardian Angels incorporates all of the staples of a great prog rock album, including lush instrumentation, odd time signatures, sharp tempo changes, well balanced, omnipresent keyboards with hammond, moog and mellotron tones, mesmerizinc compositions impeccably interpreted, highly cohesive, never going overboard on the symphonic side, and with Michel St-Père's elegant and tasteful guitar work throughout. The album as a whole flows incredibly well between the vocal and instrumental components.

The musical themes explored on this album range from medieval sounds inspired by Alan Parsons, to snappy and energetic rock compositions, all the way to soaring melodic symphonic prog rock, and features a well-balanced mix of ballads and rhythmic compositions, with strong classic progressive rock roots, but sill remakably original and refreshing.

Highlights are the excellent instrumental compositions Oude Kerk I & II featuring fantastic guitar solos and a great rhythm section, and the stunning Little Anne showcasing Sylvain's melodious vocals, with a serene intro that builds into a lofty crescendo. There are no long epics on Despite Guardian Angels, with track lengths ranging between 3 and 9 minutes, a total of 11 tracks clocking at 73 minutes.

What a wonderful new musical discovery! Fans of highly melodic symphonic progressive music will enjoy this new album thoroughly. Highly recommended! And the cool part is that the band is planning to tour this coming summer!

I give it 4.5 out of 5

The album will be released on Michel St-Père's label, Unicorn Digital, and will be available in single CD digipak format. You will be able to order it directly from Mike's online store, on the HUIS website too, and it will of course be available through your favorite prog dealers like Synphonic or Kinesis.

You will find camples on http://www.huisband.com/

here's the track list:
    1- Beyond the Amstel
    2- Haunted Nights (Instrumental)
    3- The Last Journey
    4- Oude Kerk I (instrumental)
    5- Lights and Bridges
    6- Little Anne
    7- If By Morning
    8- Oude Kerk II (Instrumental)
    9- Write Your Name
    10- Salvation
    11- Garden of Dust

Total time: 73:00

Lineup:
    Michel Joncas: bass
    Pascal Lapierre: keyboards
    Sylvain Descoteaux: vocals
    William Régnier: drums
    Michel St-Père: guitars.

Release info:
    Unicorn Digital - release date early January 2014

Robert Dansereau - www.progmontreal.com

Listening now, good stuff - thanks for sharing. It goes on my wish list

Bob, I had no idea Sylvain was a vocalist... Do you think Mike might have an affordable digital download for sale on the site? Not my usual cuppa, but I'd like to encourage the band. Let me know if/when they plan a disc launch concert.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

multicellular organism roddenberry's Avatar
    Yves, yes I'll check with him on the details of the release and if there's a digital version. And you can count on the guys to have a big album launch release party, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I see some Dutch in it.
    Correct. Apparently the band name was inspired by a visit of some band members to the Netherlands and their interaction with Knight Area hence the appearance (as a guest soloist) of former KA guitarist Mark Vermeule.