Thread: Neil Young busking in Glasgow

Neil Young busking in Glasgow

Never seen this very cool footage before. Here's Neil in '76 in a Glasgow train station. I'm not sure if the idea was to promote a new album or just to see if anyone would recognize him or what. But interesting experiment. Would love to see him try that today.

Also, the banjo- it's a 6-string! I understand they're tuned like guitars. Wonder if 4 & 5-string players consider those "cheating". Now I want one.

How cool is that? And clearly it didn't take people long to figure out who he was. You can just see them going, "Holy fuck, that's NEIL YOUNG!"
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Filmed in b&w in 1976, seems odd.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ten Thumbs View Post
    Why?

By about the two minute mark, it's clear that many people have sussed out who it is, because back in the 70s in the UK people did not stop and listen to buskers in that way and in those numbers.

I think this was the first thing I ever saw on YouTube shortly after it started up - about 7 or 8 years ago? Being a Glaswegian I found it fascinating...I like the guy at the end who thought it was a lot of rubbish and he should "get the jail"!

Quote Originally Posted by Ten Thumbs View Post
    You don't think it's odd that a film crew was filming Neil Young performing on the street? You're surprised that passers-by notice the film crew and realize the subject is somebody famous? It's like those supposed "reality" TV shows where the contestants are "all alone in the wilderness" -- well, yes; except for the camera crew, the lighting technicians, the make-up artists, the sound crew, the director, the producer and sixteen lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    You don't think it's odd that a film crew was filming Neil Young performing on the street? You're surprised that passers-by notice the film crew and realize the subject is somebody famous? It's like those supposed "reality" TV shows where the contestants are "all alone in the wilderness" -- well, yes; except for the camera crew, the lighting technicians, the make-up artists, the sound crew, the director, the producer and sixteen lawyers.
    I think he meant that by '76 it oughta be in color? But anyway, I thought the same thing; cameras would tip everyone off that this was no ordinary busker. That's why I wondered why they did this. Promotion of some kind?

For those interested, here's the story of how this footage came about, from the guy who shot it:

http://www.openculture.com/2012/02/n...e_footage.html

So whatever happen to that guy ...now when you want to see him you better be prepared to pay fortune (NYC tickets are $230 to $4500)
    Last edited by Progmatic; 12-12-2013 at 10:26 AM.

So it was shot in color afterall.

1976 was the first year that Neil played as a solo act/& with Crazy Horse in many European and Far East cities, so 1976 could have easily been his first ever solo appearance in Glasgow also...
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatico View Post
    1976 was the first year that Neil played as a solo act/& with Crazy Horse in many European and Far East cities, so 1976 could have easily been his first ever solo appearance in Glasgow also...
    No, he'd been before, a few years previously, with The Eagles supporting who notoriously blew him off the stage...

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    For those interested, here's the story of how this footage came about, from the guy who shot it:

http://www.openculture.com/2012/02/n...e_footage.html
    I saw the documentary about David Peat but sadly the Neil Young footage isn't mentioned.

I laughed at the story of the manageress giving the would-be arsonists a bollocking - you might be Neil Young and entourage, international rock stars, but ye'll no get away wi' any of yer nonsense in Glasgow!

Amazing! Never saw this footage before; thanks a lot for bringing it up on these forums!
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie B View Post
    No, he'd been before, a few years previously, with The Eagles supporting who notoriously blew him off the stage...
    Right you are, i see he played the Apollo with The Santa Monica Flyers for the first time in '73.
    (at least my comment about playing Glasgow first (as a wholly solo act and then later in the show) with Crazy Horse in '76 was correct: that was also at the Apollo, on 1976-04-02. )
    "Wouldn't it be odd, if there really was a God, and he looked down on Earth and saw what we've done to her?" -- Adrian Belew ('Men In Helicopters')

Quote Originally Posted by Progmatic View Post
    So whatever happen to that guy ...now when you want to see him you better be prepared to pay fortune (NYC tickets are $230 to $4500)
    Perhaps on stubhub, I payed $50 & $75 (face/balcony) for two shows at Carnegie Hall in a few weeks. Of course in hindsight I should have picked up tix for all the shows and made some loot.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973