Thread: Symphonic-virtuoso-guitar speed metal

Symphonic-virtuoso-guitar speed metal

Rhapsody is awesome. Cheesy as all get-out, but great at what they do.

Cheez is the word indeed. Luca Turelli too.

Rhapsody of Fire they've been called for several years now, I believe.
    I used to listen to Symphony X until I decided Russell Allen's voice was too irritating to continue listening. But Mike Romeo...

And here of course is the master of the genre, some might even say its creator, Paganini would be proud of him.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    And here of course is the master of the genre, some might even say its creator, Paganini would be proud of him.
    Paganini invented "Symphonic-virtuoso-guitar speed metal?" Gosh, he was ahead of his time!

This is arguably the most vulgar "rock" group I know of. I didn't laugh even on first hearing them many years ago. Well, well. I'll just bet they're Shub-Niggurath fans.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Paganini invented "Symphonic-virtuoso-guitar speed metal?" Gosh, he was ahead of his time!
    Hey, you know it!

And of course, who could forget Stratovarius and Avantasia?

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Yeah, pretty much

Whenever I hear this genre, I'm torn between wanting to turn it off immediately & inexplicable curiousity. On the one hand, the cheezy D&D imagery draws me in. But on the other, the over-the-top soloing pushes me away. Maybe, for my taste, it's not heavy, meaty or ballsy enough. Not enough *weight*. (bass)
    (& after a few minutes, it all sounds the same to me)

I must admit i have almost zero tolerance for this genre.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

When I saw the thread title I was thinking of guitar-oriented acts that started out in the 80's and 90's, not necessarily prog-related, like Jason Becker, Racer X, Yngwie... because title said "guitar."

Some of the more recent bands mentioned here are more prog and have just as much symphonic speed keyboard going on as they do guitar - Time Requiem, Rhapsody, Symphony X for example, all of whom I like a lot. It's the guitar-oriented bands mentioned above that don't do anything for me.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

True, a lot of these Neo-classical or Symphonic metal or Prog-metal bands (these bands are referred to by all 3 tags) have as much keyboard wizzardy going on as they have vituoso guitar playing. Time Requiem is up there in my top 10 metal bands of all time.

Are there any albums in YM's catalog that are without vocals? just instrumental?

Yes, his 84 debut "Rising Force" is all instrumental. And of course, as linked above Yngwie Johann Malmsteen: Concerto Suite for Electric Guitar and Orchestra in E flat Minor, Op. 1
    Also his two Young Persons Guides to the Classics albums.
    There may be others, I'm not sure, he's released so much.

This is the epic track from his debut.

And this is the epic track off the Trilogy album

One of my favs from the Attack album

This stuff does occasionally tend to remind me a bit of the rock interpretations of classical pieces on ALW's Variations. In fact some of the music played is the same pieces by, for example, Paganini.
    Last edited by PeterG; 12-12-2013 at 03:37 PM.

Can anyone really top this?

;-)

Last edited by Steve F.; 12-12-2013 at 07:41 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

This is a quote from a YM DVD review @netflix: "Pure neo-classical genuis. Say what you want about the guy and his hair or clothes but the music is what matters and this is nothing short of fantastic. "

I take it some people don't like his hair and/or stage attire. So he's flamboyant. what's the big deal?