Thread: Popol Vuh on Quad

Popol Vuh on Quad

Apparently a few of their prak era albums were released back in the day in quad
    Seligpreisung In Den Gärten Pharaos Aguirre Einsjäger & Siebenjäger
    anyone here ever got to hear this ?
    If there was ever music that would have been well served by some spatial presentation it has to be stuff like Popol Vuh
    Anyone ?

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    anyone here ever got to hear this ?
    If there was ever music that would have been well served by some spatial presentation it has to be stuff like Popol Vuh
    Anyone ?
    I haven't heard any of this but it did get me thinking about other music that would be well served. Especially Wendy Carlos. I'd love to hear some of her music in quad such as Timesteps, Geodesic Dome, Sonic Seasonings, hell, anything by her. (Not to derail the thread, sorry)

I think "switched on Bach" by WC was out in quad, I wasnt blown away if memory serves.
    From the genre I really liked Klaus Schultze - Body Love in quad.
    Regarding Popol Vuh - I had no idea about this! gotta find it.
    There are actually quite a few german prog / karut in quad format, like Dzyan, ash ra temple, nektar, I think it had something to do with Ohr / Belaphone label.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    From the genre I really liked Klaus Schultze - Body Love in quad.
    Regarding Popol Vuh - I had no idea about this! gotta find it.
    There are actually quite a few german prog / karut in quad format, like Dzyan, ash ra temple, nektar, I think it had something to do with Ohr / Belaphone label.
    which kraut do you have in quad ?

Ha! turns out I have Popol Vuh - Aguire on my computer, had it before my HD crashed and then forgot about it when successfully restoring the drive...
    So didnt have a chance to listen to it yet, will do tomorrow.
    Trying to remember what krauts quads I have:
    Dzyan - time machine (nice!)
    Krokodil - sweat and swim (though I cant find it now)
    Mythos - dreamlab (didnt hear it for a long time, dont remember it)
    Ash Ra Temple - Starring Rossi
    Tangerine dream - Atem (I think Zeit is also available somewhere), also a live show from 1980.
    Klaus Shultze - Body Love

There might be some more but this is what I currently remember...
    Also found the label responsible for most of them:
    http://www.discogs.com/label/Kosmische%20Musik

Edit:
    Hmmm, now I am a bit skeptical regarding all these quads-
    Some of them (Tangerine for example) were recorded before the studio had quad capabilities, and here is a quote from a thread regarding Ohr quads:

"Rolf-Ulrich Kaiser (Manager of OHR/Kosmische Musik) sold many Stereo Recordings to PDU/Italy and OHR/France as Quad-recordings. These Companies released every record with these printings, if quad or not.
    Kaiser was well known for his strange behaviour in music business."

Bummers.
    Last edited by flytomars; 12-11-2013 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Hmmm, now I am a bit skeptical regarding all these quads-
    well how do the ones that you have sound ?

I used to have a quad LP of a Tangerine Dream double LP of Alpha Centauri and Atem. A lot of the Bacillus label stuff was released in quad, my copy of Nine Days Wonder’s We Never Lost Control for example. I had some Nektar quad LPs too (definitely Journey and possibly Recycled). I don’t think my copy of Omega’s Hall of Floaters in the Sky is quad, but it may be, so don’t quote me on that. I also believe everything released on the highly collectible Delta-Akustik label was released quad. Since I have never owned a quad decoder, it’s all a bit beside the point.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

‘“What blow, Goblin?” said Corinius.’ --E. R. Eddison

N.P.:“Il respiro del pianeta”-Museo Rosenbach/Barbarica

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    well how do the ones that you have sound ?
    Hmmm, these quads are all taken from SQ so the seperation is so-so.
    I heard today Popol Vuh, Mythos, ash ra, and PV was the least discrete surround -
    I think it is just a regular recording going thru a decoder.
    Ash ra sounds like a real surround and is really nice, and Mythos also sounds as though it was meant to be in surround.
    Bear in mind that originally the SQ offered a seperation of about 3db which already isnt much...
    However the Klaus Schultze one is taken from a new DVD taken from the real discrete masters.
    The only SQ albums that I heard that were discrete enough were Santana - Lotus Live and surprisingly enough Sun Ra - Space is the place