Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Featured CD - Mike Oldfield : Tubular Bells 2003

Featured CD - Mike Oldfield : Tubular Bells 2003

Yeah, I know ... Tubular Bells, Tubular Bells II, Tubular Bells III, Millennium Bells, Tubular Bells 2003 ... next thing we know, he'll be franchising them out! Still, this one deserves consideration.

Per my all-time favorite reviewer :

You’re standing in line at the bookmaker’s office, hard-earned dollars clutched in your fist. It’s a two horse race and you’re sweating over the choice.

On the one hand we have a 19 year-old English prodigy. He creates a brilliant album in no time at all in 1973 using low cost, old fashioned techniques. He calls it Tubular Bells.

On the other hand we have an accomplished 50 year old musician living in the Spanish sunshine with a discography running into the dozens, and more platinum discs than he can count. He takes his time and creates a brilliant album in 2003, with the very best recording and mixing technologies. He calls it Tubular Bells 2003.

So – where does the smart money go?

Tubular Bells 2003 is not simply a remastered version of the original. It was re-recorded from scratch, so that Mike Oldfield could correct – in his own words – all the “…imperfections, notes out of tune, out of time, rushed playing, mistakes in performance, electronic noise etc…”. As we understand it, Oldfield’s contract with Virgin included a clause blocking the re-recording of Tubular Bells for 25 years after the original release. So now – 30 years after the original – he has finally managed to correct his earlier flaws.

All due credit to Mike for sticking to the script. There’s hardly any embellishment, it’s almost note-perfect, and the two albums run within 20 seconds of each other. The new album is impeccably produced, and the playing – on every instrument – is nothing short of outstanding. Tubular Bells 2003 is sharper than the original, with each instrument sounding crisper and more vivid, with considerably more dynamics than the original.

But you know what? The 19 year old kid played with more heart, more raw emotion and anger and flair. Those imperfections Oldfield speaks of made it the album more human, and consequently more approachable. The new album just may be too perfect.

The real differences between the kid’s LP and the old man’s CD are in the mood and the overall ambience of the music. Technically, the albums are so similar that you really have to look at the details to find the variances:

The original album had Viv Stanshall doing the roll call of instruments. Sadly, Stanshall died in a house fire in March, 1995. On the 2003 album his place is taken by former-Monty Python John Cleese. The first time I heard Cleese’s distinctive voice on the album, I started smiling in a Pavlovian response – I was waiting for the punchline. Isn’t that what you always get when Cleese starts up? You half expect him to declare that the two slightly distorted guitars are “pining for the fjords”! There’s no humor, of course, and frankly Cleese’s delivery is ridiculously overdone. He has a good voice and excellent diction, but Oldfield should have made him emulate Stanshall.

Remember the caveman bit on the second side of the LP? (Remember LPs?) That also gets a makeover, and the Piltdown Man now does a grunting duet with Piltdown Woman, played by the once golden voiced Sally Oldfield (Mike’s sister).

There’s another difference that may or may not be important, but I found it disappointing: The 19 year old had just 2 tracks on his album, named (very maturely) Part I and Part II. The 50 year old gave each piece a name, and there are now 17 separate tracks with poorly chosen names, many of which have little bearing on their content.

Other more subtle differences: A more distinct bass guitar. A better “bagpipe guitar” sound. A softer feel to the whole of what used to be called Part 2. Beautiful little touches added to many of the melodies, and subtle twists and variations in the instrumentation and in the mix.

All in all, though, these differences are minor because the music is essentially the same, and still as compelling as ever. The distinctive voice Oldfield wrung out of his guitar (we understand the original was a Fender Telecaster) is still there. The catchy tunes, the Irish ditty (now called a “Sailor’s Hornpipe”), the elegant mix of electric and acoustic guitars, and those Tubular bells ... all still there.

Tubular Bells 2003 is a must-buy for connoisseurs and ardent Oldfield fans. For the rest of us discerning listeners, you can’t go wrong with either album. But if you already own the original, you’d be hard-pressed to justify shelling out the full price for an album that you already own.

So who’d you pick? The 19 year old, or the 50 year old?

Me – my money’s on the kid.

Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 12-10-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've heard Tubular Bells II a couple of times, but I'm not even sure what Tubular Bells 2003 is. Is it that deluxe reissue of Tubular Bells which was also rerecorded? Or is it a different, intermediary rerecording? IMO, Oldfield is diluting his watershed album to the point where people are unsure what version of it they're buying or listening to. However, this album being featured has goaded me into going to Amazon to read up on the various versions out there. Here I go...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ...I'm not even sure what Tubular Bells 2003 is...
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Tubular Bells 2003 is not simply a remastered version of the original. It was re-recorded from scratch, so that Mike Oldfield could correct – in his own words – all the “…imperfections, notes out of tune, out of time, rushed playing, mistakes in performance, electronic noise etc…”

Regards,

Duncan

I, too, am a bit tired of the TB franchise. I just scanned my collection but didn't see this CD. I'm not sure I need it. Thank goodness for that youtube link.
    I've got a bike you can ride it if you like

I will keep this simple: Most insane 5.1 mix I have ever heard in my life on the DVD-A. If you are into 5.1 do whatever you have to to get this DVD-A because it is absolutely mind blowing.

Progstreaming-webmaster Sunhillow's Avatar
    I liked it when it first came out in 2003. Haven't played it since though.

I have two versions of this (the CD and the DVD-Audio; along with the surround mix, the DVD-A includes two live vids from TB2 and TB3 shows, plus Oldfield's original TB demos). It will never be as groundbreaking as the original, but it has a certain charm to it, and the sound quality is pretty astounding.

Plus, Cleese always makes me smile with his little bit near the end of the first half...."mandolin!!"
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Which one do you need? Well... both, really. They both have strengths and weaknesses. At least the 2003 version is in tune, and there's some lovely production things on it. Otoh, the original has vibe that could never be reproduced, the original voices, and just being what I grew up with it sits in my ears more comfortably overall. If you put a gun to my head I'd probably go for the original, but I might listen to either one on any given day depending on my mood.

I only know the first three Oldfield albums, but his insistence on constantly redoing this one is getting a little odd, considering how much better I found Hergst Ridge and Ommadawn to be!

I remember turning to PE to ask if this was worth getting. This is the one with the DVD of the live performance, no? That was the main reason I wanted it. Incredible to watch my favorite musical composition played live. As for the CDs, while it was cool that he felt a need to polish it up a bit, I, for one, thought it was just fine as is. But the improved sound on the original is fantastic.

I'm waiting for "5 Miles Out 2014".

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I remember turning to PE to ask if this was worth getting. This is the one with the DVD of the live performance, no? That was the main reason I wanted it. Incredible to watch my favorite musical composition played live. As for the CDs, while it was cool that he felt a need to polish it up a bit, I, for one, thought it was just fine as is. But the improved sound on the original is fantastic.
    I think you are actually thinking of the deluxe TB release from a year or so back, with an additional CD and a DVD with TB Part 1 performed live by Oldfield and a large group of players including some Henry Cow folks, etc., from the mid-70's.

This is TB 2003, a fully-new recording. The DVD-Audio edition does include two live tracks, but they are from the 90's (one track each from TB2 and TB3).
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I always thought this album was .... kinda like seeing your wife in a dress she hasn't worn before... pleasant surprise!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

this is an excellent re-recording....with I had sprung for the DVD-A when I had the chance...

Loved the original-normally I don't go for what sells the most, but there are some really intriguing chord changes and moods that make this just about my favorite Oldfield release.

Tubular Bells II I thought was excellent too. A nice idea and very well done.

Tubular Bells III did little for me. Not enough chords, melody or variation. Sold my copy.

Tubular Bells 2003 I thought was fantastic. Can't really pick between this and the original, they both have different strengths. Love John Cleese on it too, and there IS humor in his delivery, contrary to the opinion of the above review.

What about the "copy protection" stuff - I heard many people had problems with the disc playback on "normal" equipment.
    "The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

I can't speak for everyone else...never had problems with the copy protection myself. The CD plays on all my devices just fine, and I was able to put the disc in my PC and rip the songs as mp3s using plain old Windows Media Player.

Hope this helps!

so, he finally re-recorded Tubular Bells?

well, I thought that was what TBII was going to be before I bought it.
    I'm actually glad that TBII is a completely new work and I love it but I do not feel the same for TBIII which music was way too electronic sounding for my taste.

I may hafta pick this re-recording up if I see it in a cut-out bin at Wal Mart
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Sorry, Vivian Stanshall is dead. Without Viv shouting "Plus, tubular bells!" there is no Tubular Bells. I love John Cleese, I love Alan Rickman, I love John Gordon Sinclair, I love Tom Baker - but none of them is Viv Stanshall, and without Viv it just ain't TB.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I think you are actually thinking of the deluxe TB release from a year or so back, with an additional CD and a DVD with TB Part 1 performed live by Oldfield and a large group of players including some Henry Cow folks, etc., from the mid-70's.

This is TB 2003, a fully-new recording. The DVD-Audio edition does include two live tracks, but they are from the 90's (one track each from TB2 and TB3).
    You're right.

I like it it better than the original. I couldn't stand the production and all the out of tune badly recorded stuff. Pretty much the same things Mike Oldfield dislike about it. He has since remixed the original (and corrected the out of tune stuff) and to me it's now a draw between the 2003 remake and the original in it's new mix.
    And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love you make.

Quote Originally Posted by Azol View Post
    What about the "copy protection" stuff - I heard many people had problems with the disc playback on "normal" equipment.
    This stereo record cannot be played on old tin boxes no matter what they are fitted with. If you are in possession of such equipment please hand it into the nearest policestation.
    "Young man says you are what you eat, eat well."
    http://www.blissbomb.net/

Goint to have to give it another spin as have forgotten how this lives up to the original. Isnt Steve Hillage part of the band on the live version previously mentioned?

The most dissapointing album in the TB franschise was Millenium Bell!

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Isnt Steve Hillage part of the band on the live version previously mentioned?
    Mike Oldfield. Terry Oldfield. Fred Frith. John Greaves. Steve Hillage. Tim Hodgkinson. Karl Jenkins. Geoff Leigh. Pierre Moerlen. Mike Ratledge. Mick Taylor. John Field.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    I'm waiting for "5 Miles Out 2014".
    This has just been rereleased this year with Crises, they're both very good.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.