Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Genesis reunion still possible says Gabriel!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Didn't the whole idea of presenting the story of the Lamb on screen come from Gabriel himself?
    It's funny to think that this was being talked about as a viable idea in Armando Gallo's 'I Know What I Like'...30-odd years ago. And yes, I think it did.

There's no doubt it's a very visual album but I'd rather leave it in my imagination. I personally strongly dislike the films of 'The Wall' and 'Tommy'.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Probably but that doesn't mean it would work in anyone's mind but his *lol* Now as a surreal animated feature that might be a whole different thing.
    I had opined in a similar vein way back in PE-Ver. Mesozoic Era that the Lamb would be excellent fodder for Hayao Miyazaki in the spirit of "Howl's Moving Castle" or "Spirited Away"...
    Last edited by -=RTFR666=-; 12-12-2013 at 11:58 PM.
    -=Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Anyone else think that Tim Burton doing The Lamb would be a hoot? Johnny Depp as Rael? Why the hell not?
    As someone who thinks Burton blows whale dick, I say "no."
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

That was always my thought- what on earth is there in the Lamb "story" that makes anyone think it would be watchable as a linear narrative on-screen?
    You know, anyone who doesn't want to see a psychotic doctor slice off a young Puerto Rican boy's wang is officially dead to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    You know, anyone who doesn't want to see a psychotic doctor slice off a young Puerto Rican boy's wang is officially dead to me.
    Jodorowsky must have that covered already in one of his movies, somewhere...

Banned
    Sorry to burst the bubble of the thread starter, but I think that it's just Peter yanking our willies again. He said many years ago that he wanted to do a Lamb tour. Then, he backed out at the last minute. When Genesis does a press conference akin to the one that Black Sabbath did before the release of 13, then I'll believe a Genesis reunion. Having said that, they should record an album before someone from the classic lineup dies. Make it a double album with Phil and Peter splitting lead vocal duties down the middle. Maybe do a duet? Have Chester do the drumming, and Phil bang on some percussion. Or, have Simon drum. Then, close the book once and for all.

As long as they do whatever the hell they want and get along personally, I'm fine with that. I would certainly love to see a tour, since I've never seen them. But, if it's an embarrassment, I'd rather they not look like buffoons.

Maybe they should get a Gabriel clone. The prog world is full of them.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    As long as they do whatever the hell they want and get along personally, I'm fine with that. I would certainly love to see a tour, since I've never seen them. But, if it's an embarrassment, I'd rather they not look like buffoons.

Maybe they should get a Gabriel clone. The prog world is full of them.
    Maybe they can get the singer from The Musical Box? Then, a movie can be made from the whole ordeal.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Maybe they can get the singer from The Musical Box? Then, a movie can be made from the whole ordeal.
    They can call it, "After the Ordeal."
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I love the lamb but the story is stupid. It makes no sense. Even the guys in the band say they don't get it. It would suck ass as a movie.

A movie about nothing? Maybe get Jerry Seinfeld to play rael.

Quote Originally Posted by firth5th View Post
    I love the lamb but the story is stupid. It makes no sense. Even the guys in the band say they don't get it. It would suck ass as a movie.

Correct!

For anyone who doesn't "get" the lamb- read up on this. Maybe it will help put some things in perspective:

http://www.bloovis.com/music/lamb.html

This is The Annotated Lamb Lies Down on Broadway which gives some interpretation about the music and lyrics. To simply say that "the story is stupid and that it makes no sense" is not giving the lyrical part of the story a chance.

One of the greatest efforts in any form of art is the ability for the artist to make the audience question WHY in regards to the content. If you can't ask WHY and try to find and discover the Answer, you are only defeating yourself by not giving your mind and imagination the opportunity to discover something new that you would have never found out.
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsout View Post
    For anyone who doesn't "get" the lamb- read up on this. Maybe it will help put some things in perspective:

http://www.bloovis.com/music/lamb.html

This is The Annotated Lamb Lies Down on Broadway which gives some interpretation about the music and lyrics. To simply say that "the story is stupid and that it makes no sense" is not giving the lyrical part of the story a chance.

One of the greatest efforts in any form of art is the ability for the artist to make the audience question WHY in regards to the content. If you can't ask WHY and try to find and discover the Answer, you are only defeating yourself by not giving your mind and imagination the opportunity to discover something new that you would have never found out.
    Hear, hear!

Banned
    I've always gotten the Lamb.

Or it could be that some people think they have better literary talents than they actually have and write overly ambitious drivel that even the other guys in the band don't get and when people question if it has any true significant meaning they call it "art."

But believe it of not, I like the Lamb! One of my top albums. I even like a lot of the lyrics because they sound good and poetic ( eg Lamia). But the story? Bah humbug!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Anyone else think that Tim Burton doing The Lamb would be a hoot? Johnny Depp as Rael? Why the hell not?
    Well, in the first place, Mr 21 Jump Street is at least 20 years too old to play a street punk. Second of all, I believe he's the wrong ethnicity. Isn't Rael supposed to be Puerto Rican? Or is this going to be like that Lone Ranger movie, and we're just looking for a big star, and who cares if he's ancestors are from the wrong part of the world?!

I love the lamb but the story is stupid. It makes no sense. Even the guys in the band say they don't get it. .
    Uh, it's about a dead juvenile delinquent's journey through afterlife, in an attempt to find redemption. It's real simple: Rael dies during the first 10 minutes of side one, the rest of the album takes place in "the other side of life" (to quote Justin Hayward). After various strange experiences, Rael finally finds redemption when he saves his brother from drowning.

Or...Rael is schizophrenic, the whole story is taking place inside his head. Nevertheless, he's still seeking redemption for whatever state of disgrace he believes himself to live in.

Or...it's just a dream, and it's time to wake up now.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, in the first place, Mr 21 Jump Street is at least 20 years too old to play a street punk.
    Oh, well, Robert Downey Jr. then.

Uh, it's about a dead juvenile delinquent's journey through afterlife, in an attempt to find redemption. It's real simple: Rael dies during the first 10 minutes of side one, the rest of the album takes place in "the other side of life" (to quote Justin Hayward). After various strange experiences, Rael finally finds redemption when he saves his brother from drowning.

Or...Rael is schizophrenic, the whole story is taking place inside his head. Nevertheless, he's still seeking redemption for whatever state of disgrace he believes himself to live in.

Or...it's just a dream, and it's time to wake up now.
    Or sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

This. On top of that, every time I listen to the album, I always find myself moved by the Light/Riding/Rapids/It redemption section. Rael essentially gives up any hope of returning to the sane, normal life he loved in order to save his "brother John". In doing so he discovers what he's really saving is himself. In turn, he grows to understand that everything ("It") has always been a part of himself.

… Yeah, I know how pretentious that sounds, but it still convinces me it could be a decent "visual" story, if you play up the "Brother John" part.

It's real simple: it's about a dead juvenile delinquent's journey through afterlife
    Or...Rael is schizophrenic
    Or...it's just a dream
    Yep! Real simple!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Rael simple.

Oh, well, Robert Downey Jr. then.
    Really?! You want Iron Man to play Rael?! Why don't we try to get someone who's actually the right age?! Say someone in their early 20's, at the oldest?!

Really?! You want Iron Man to play Rael?! Why don't we try to get someone who's actually the right age?! Say someone in their early 20's, at the oldest?!
    Justin Beiber?

Justin Beiber?
    I have enough time buying Justin Beiber as a Canadian pop singer, never mind a Puerto Rican street punk.