Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Getting into the holiday spirit!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Someone at work today played a Christmas medley by a power metal band called Theocracy and I have to admit, I enjoyed it! Cheesy as hell, but that's the genre. Good fun stuff.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I'm not religious at all but I enjoy the holidays as a nice end to the year with family and friends. I have a 10-year old son so it's still exciting for him (in that 'what presents will I get' way) and it's nice to decorate the house with sparkly things for a few weeks and watch dreadful movies. I still get a nostalgic twinge from those '70s festive records I grew up with and 3 Ships, Neal's Proggy Christmas, Swiss Choir and the like get the heavy rotation. Talk usually gets around to how it was when you were a kid so it's also nice to remember friends and family who are now gone. Just avoid the (physical) shops like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    ...Nat King Cole....[/I]
    Fascinating information, Scott. seriously. Thanks for posting it. IMO, Cole's voice is one of the best ever recorded. That said...

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Have we mentioned Steve Lukather's Santamental yet?
    Now we have! I turned you on to that one, didn't I, Rick? It's a good day when somebody actually likes one of my recommendations!

If I have have to listen to "Carol of the Bells," make mine in 5/4, please.

For guitarist in our midst:

"The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Now we have! I turned you on to that one, didn't I, Rick? It's a good day when somebody actually likes one of my recommendations!

If I have have to listen to "Carol of the Bells," make mine in 5/4, please.

yes you did Ernie and it's not the only CD you've turned me on to, but I bought this the next day after hearing some of it on the way home from work.

The Tom Waits video is classic.

A holiday classic
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

And now for something completely different
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    For you fellow Star Trek fans....

http://www.wimp.com/singssnow/

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I havent caught the "Christmas spirit" in many years. Too much commerce, too contrived. I used to love the Holidays, now I just feel a sense of relief when its over. I look forward to spring.

Christmas music has been playing in stores since October. Crazy tired of the songs that make up the Christmas Catalog. Why spend one twelfth of a year or more listening to the same songs? - And then there are the total stupid modern versions or worse yet, some howling pop tart screaming about how badly she needs me this year.. And dont even get me started on "Simply having a wonderful Christmas time"(McCartney - you jackwad!)

Maybe if it came once every 5 years I'd feel more inclined to enjoy it. It seems we just take it down and we're dragging it all back out again. I do enjoy the food (which I happen to enjoy all year long, no big deal) and the company of my family (Likewise), but the music in particluar is something I simply have to tolerate.

If its all about misletoe, charlie brown and ho ho ho, I could find better ways to spend my time. If its about deeper things, why only 1-twelfth of the year? I'm sure there are some good comebacks for my attitude, but for some people it just isnt something to get all jazzed about.
    I can't believe how exactly the same I feel about just about everything in this post!

https://josienneclarke.bandcamp.com/album/midwinter

Great seasonal album by one of the best young British folk duos around at the moment.

Done shopping! Now it's time to put up the tree with some Xmas tunes and a cocktail.

This may have been mentioned earlier in this thread, or in another thread, but Izz are offering their arrangements of two traditional carols, by download, for $5.00, all of which goes towards relief efforts in the Philippines. Pretty cool gesture I say!

Link below. Anyone hear these and care to offer a comment?

http://www.izznet.com/album-philippines.php

My in-laws have been here for three days and will be here another two nights. My wife wanted to murder her sister in her sleep last night. We've got about as much Christmas spirit right now as a couple of Islamic fundamentalists.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My wife and I (childless snobs that we are) always do Xmas by ourselves and only make the journey to family-land post-holiday buzzed bliss.

So the tree is up. The presents are wrapped. The Chinese food delivery guy is on speed dial. The growler is snug in the fridge. Hurray Xmas!
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Okay, time for this to make an appearance in the 2013 PE edition of the holiday spirit! (with apologies if it's shown up earlier or elsewhere)....

(ps I think it's actually quite well done, and good fun to boot)

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    My wife and I (childless snobs that we are) always do Xmas by ourselves and only make the journey to family-land post-holiday buzzed bliss.

So the tree is up. The presents are wrapped. The Chinese food delivery guy is on speed dial. The growler is snug in the fridge. Hurray Xmas!
    This sounds very similar to us! We love Christmas, just the two of us with a big spread of fancy, rich foods and wine and beer on Christmas Eve, with more good stuff to come in the morning!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer
    X-Mas-Death-Jazz - performed by Jan Zehrfeld (Panzerballet)

^^^^^^^^^
    I've always wondered if the person who made up Rudolph got the idea for the red nose from other end of the animal.

I've noticed that now that its over, I dont feel like I have to try so hard. It really ought to come naturally. I apreciate some of you just allowing yourselves to enjoy the moment - I had a few moments that were memorable, but the overall experience I could have done without. I'm sure that a couple years with a shrink would probably help me understand why this is my least favorite time of the year. The kids, my wife and my parents (who are divorced but both were here anyway for the past week) really seemed to enjoy themselves. I'd call it an overall success. I just cant think about tearing it all down, putting it away, and then how quickly we will be pulling it back down again.

The one thing I really enjoy about Christmas eve is that we have a traditional Lutefisk dinner, and it is such a unique thing that I really enjoyed those few hours involved in baking and eating it. Most people cant handle Lutefisk - but I have aquired a taste for it. At least its fun to think that I eat something that even Andrew Zimmerman (food channel, Bizzare foods show) wont touch.

Bring on March! (we have early springs here in Tejas - thank goodness!) I hope everyones Christmas was at least as good as mine.
    Last edited by Yodelgoat; 12-26-2013 at 12:11 PM.

Robert Fripp - "Silent Night" a' la Frippertronics