Thread: Strawberry Bricks Guide to Progressive Rock

Strawberry Bricks Guide to Progressive Rock

My book is on sale this month, 30% off. Over 3,000 copies sold! Thank you all!

sbbook.jpg
    http://www.lulu.com/commerce/index.p...Content=604953
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

A very fine book, indeed! I bought my copy a few years back. What an excellent read too! If you are looking for a definitive edition on Progressive Rock, I can say that this book is well worth it!
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndsout View Post
    A very fine book, indeed! I bought my copy a few years back. What an excellent read too! If you are looking for a definitive edition on Progressive Rock, I can say that this book is well worth it!
    What he said. I've had a copy for years and still refer to it.
    Lou

Looking forward to my day in court.

Very good, informative book!

Love the book, great resource for info. I wonder if there is the possibillity of a strawberry bricks Pt 2 - neo/third wave/post
    it could start right at 1980 where the original left off and trace the rise, fall and rise again of prog and all the splinter categories it has spawned as well as the internet's influence on it.

Great book (and an OK guy too!)
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

...and it makes a great holiday gift!

470368_10200228058966947_1140486298_o.jpg

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Thanks guys for the kind words, always appreciated.

There's a couple of things going on right now with the site and book; first and foremost I'm updating the timeline through 1983 or so, which should round out the "classic" era a little more succinctly. I'm also filing in the gaps, adding artists which I missed the first time around (like Patto, Argent, High Tide, etc...). It should be no secret that that is the focus of my work.

Secondly, I am interviewing artists from that era which will make up the thesis that the progressive era is really the work of a generation of men, and only later did it become a musical style. I've conducted interviews with just a about every major German progressive band, including Eroc, Hans Biereichel, Michael Rother, Gunter Schickert, Christian Grumbkow, Lutz Ulbrich and Heinz Fröhling, and they're really fantastic. I'd like to move on to the Italians next, so if you have any contacts, please send them my way!

As for bringing the timeline to the present, there's two periods to consider: the so-called "lost" era of progressive music, which includes the Neo-progressives and lasted from the early 80s until the resurgence of the "new progressive era" in the early 90s, which of course continues to today. They also represent two further generations of musicians, marginally so for the Neo's, but absolutely so for the "new era" that began in the very late 80s and early 90s.

Here's the thing though - I'm not really the guy to write about that. So if you are that person, or collectively those persons, contact me. I'd love to collaborate and do some serious just to progressvierock.com.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's the ultimate "throne room" reading.

Excellent compliment, thank you!

I'll just add my 2 cents to say that I thoroughly enjoy this book, and shared many of the tastes and likes of the author. Its a wonderful overview, and a really great listener's guide to an archetypal prog record collection. Great job, Strawberry Bricks.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Excellent compliment, thank you!
    I did mean it as a compliment, just to be clear. It's right up there with Julian Cope's "Krautrocksampler."

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post