Thread: It's The End

It's The End

An original poster from the old PE site started a thread on these guys that died quickly in the ass, but i have to say they're my discovery of the year (along with...complete opposite end of the spectrum, but Esperanza Spalding)...check them out!

For fans of if you partially like but think the first two border on cheesy at times (Chick Corea Elektrik Band, Planet X ), Jazz From Hell-era Zappa, Thinking Plague, and/or metal-electro-acid-chamber-ambient-free jazz...really interesting just alllmost bordering on distasteful not-playing-for-the-song and heady stuff.

Plus the album released is three years old to boot!

Yeah, pretty good album. I got this as a review disc, one of a small handful I wound up keeping. Looks like the band is still active, but I don't see any new CDs on their site. http://www.itstheend.com/

Bill

I saw them last night on Austin City Limits, and I'd agree they reminded me of a bit of a throw back to fusion like Weather Report (in fact they played a Wayne Shorter tune), and maybe something like the early version of Return to Forever with the Flora Purim-like vocals. All the band member were really talented players, and she was really talented with her vocals and playing the bass. I was pretty impressed, and it was a great live performance.

Odd for you to resurrect this thread...but i think you're talking of Esperanza though, yes?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    ^ Wait, didn't YOU resurrect this thread? I is confused.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I just put this CD in my car. I have no idea how I heard of it, but I did buy it a couple of months ago. Once I'll play it I'll come back, but that's a lovely description at the top.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    ^ Wait, didn't YOU resurrect this thread? I is confused.
    Referring to hippypants.

Yep yep, I was referring to Esperanza Spalding, jazzy bass player and singer.

I see that the original posting, however, is about a band called It's The End. Sort of misread that part, but anyway, Spalding is a pretty interesting band. I haven't heard, It's The End--have to check them out.
    Last edited by hippypants; 03-03-2013 at 02:21 AM.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Finally listened to it. Quite exellent indeed. Not as out as I was expecting, but very fluid with ideas churning away through out. Zappa influence is very high indeed, but since I love Zappa this isn't a problem. My one complaint is that some of the synthetic wind/brass sounds give it a 'cheap' feel (could of definitely done with real stuff), but that stuff is used sparingly enough that it really isn't an issue.

Does anyone know if they are still active?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.