Thread: The Smashing Pumpkins

The Smashing Pumpkins

Fans here? I find I like *selections* of their stuff. Not a lot of it. But I do love a handful. Like this one, Cherub Rock & Rocket.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I love that album^. I also liked the last album, Oceana. But the rest of their catalogue is hit or miss with me.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

The only albums that I care for are the first three: Gish, Siamese Dream & Mellon Collie. I had everything else up to the first album when Billy reformed the band, but recently put them all into the sell pile. YMMV.

Gish and I like it. Not sure I want anything else.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I like select songs but do not reach for them (and have not) in years. Billy has a unique voice, but that's not necessarily a good thing in this case.

Gish, Siamese Dream, Collie, and the last one. The last one was pretty surprising because I thought they had run out of steam when Billy was experimenting with electronica but damn, that album was the true return to form. Not as urgent as the early stuff but self-assured, still passionate, and some really great songs.

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Do not like.

Corgan is OK but he's not the great genius the (past) media makes him out to be. The rest of the band was mediocre, but particularly Darcy (who looked good), was weak - weak enough that digital editing couldn't fix her in places. (Her female replacement wasn't much better, either)

Songwriting is mediocre with one or two strong moments.

"1979" is probably not their best song, but it is the one I like the most.

Was a big fan when I was a teenager. I can listen to Siamese Dream from start to finish but all their other albums are very hit-or-miss to me.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Have listened to almost all their discography as my wife is a big fan. I only like "Siamese Dream" as a whole. Some songs from other albums are OK and that's all...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I'm a big fan of the Mellon Collie album and the Oceania disc that Jerjo posted a song from. I totally agree that Oceania was a return to form. An unexpected surprise to be sure.

My two favorite Pumpkins songs are both from Mellon Collie -- "Tonight, Tonight" and "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans."

With lyrics that contain such lines as "what I choose is my choice" & "when I was young I was a boy", I have to say that whoever wrote those words should a sportscaster...

sorry Rick.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Reunion of sorts; 3/4 of original band to tour this summer. They're playing some mighty large venues that I will be extremely surprised if they fill.
    https://www.google.com/amp/variety.c...202700408/amp/
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
    I'm a big fan of the Mellon Collie album and the Oceania disc that Jerjo posted a song from. I totally agree that Oceania was a return to form. An unexpected surprise to be sure.

My two favorite Pumpkins songs are both from Mellon Collie -- "Tonight, Tonight" and "Porcelina of the Vast Oceans."

I saw them on both the Mellon Collie & Oceania tours. Both were quite good. Lots of prog sights and sounds keeping me happy. Not sure this reunion interests me, but a cheap ticket may change my mind.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Can a reunion of the surviving members of BLind MeLoN be far behind?

The first three SP LP's were awesome!!!
    The Prog Corner

Jimmy Chamberlin is a helluva drummer, he would have done quite well in a prog band.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Jimmy Chamberlin is a helluva drummer, he would have done quite well in a prog band.
    Jimmy is a great guy, also. He opened for Tears For Fears on a few dates (as The Jimmy Chamberlin Trio) in 2007, so I got to hang with him a bit. The trio was a bit jazzy and proggy, all instrumental. There's plenty of video on YouTube of his jazzy efforts.

Mellon Collie s the only one I have: like it and had some heavy rotation back in the day!.
    Last edited by TCC; 02-16-2018 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Agree!
    His Jimmy Chamberlain Complex project is more “jazzy/fusion” as his trio as Gruno wrote: it’s great IMO!

His new album is out now and is a good one too!.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rwLz7JZdBEE

Cheers!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.