Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Featured CD - Tool : 10,000 Days

Featured CD - Tool : 10,000 Days

Time for something a bit heavier: A Grammy Award-winning concept album. Many will prefer their earlier albums (Lateralus, Aenima, et al), but I think this is the best they've done...

Per Allmusic:
    In an age where major labels dictate that new releases from bands appear on record store shelves every 18 months or so, rare is the artist given freedom and ability to reflect and stretch out to explore creative evolution and release music as an artist, rather than the prepackaged predictability of an entertainer. Thankfully, Tool has somehow managed to circumvent these rituals, releasing a record every four to five years as they so feel the need. This ability to patiently craft their musical direction has paid off for not only the band, but for listeners, as they've been able to expand their musical vocabulary from album to album with great precision, all the while remaining true to the foundations that built such a loyal, if not cult-like, following. But with this absence comes changes to the popular music landscape, as new bands and sounds (as well as a new generation of heavy metal fans to entertain) replace and stimulate the charts. Namely: a lot can happen in five years, especially with a fickle rock audience that is overinundated with constant new bands' songs. The group defied expectations (and even got radio airplay) with Lateralus, but would fans stick with them during the hiatus? There were moments when Maynard James Keenan would emerge courtesy of A Perfect Circle, and there were also several stunning video DVDs to pacify while 10,000 Days was being written, along with cryptic messages via their website, but that was about it.

Thankfully, 10,000 Days was worth the labor pains and wait to deliver. It's not only a step forward for the band, but a re-embracing of the epic-length rock songs found at the roots of early heavy metal. The album starts out with "Vicarious," which features some of Maynard's most straightforward lyrics since Ænema's "Hooker with a Penis." Essentially a biting commentary on reality television, information stimulus overload, and living through others' experiences, it's only a brief glimpse of what's to come, as 10,000 Days also offers some of Keenan's most confessional lyrics. The 17-minute epic "Wings for Marie/10,000 Days" is an ode to his mother, who passed away during the band's hiatus after dealing with paralysis from a stroke for 27 years. In a way, it's voyeuristic to listen to someone working out family issues on disc, but Keenan does it in a way that's sensitive and honest without ever treading the careful line between melodrama and sincerity. Most of the songs are a bit long in the tooth when compared to most metal songs these days, but then again, Tool isn't exactly just another band, either. With most songs clocking in over six minutes, the exercises in songwriting wouldn't work as well with any other band. But when you have such high-caliber musicianship as Danny Carey and Adam Jones anchoring drums and guitar, respectively, it's hard to make a wrong turn. The anger that served as fuel for some of their greatest works has been replaced with calmer and more introspective moments as they patiently work out rhythm and melodic passages from one theme to the next. That's not to say the anger isn't still there; it does check in from song to song, but like most of Tool's fan base that has stuck with them through their first recordings, the group has evolved beyond that stage and has moved on to new concepts to explore. So depending upon which Tool you are looking for, you're either going to love or hate 10,000 Days. If it's the hard-driving band with an intellectually driven existential anger and fits of Hot Topic-laden angst, they've fled for other pastures (probably to Arizona Bay). But if you're looking for the Tool whose passion and introspection is complemented by intense emotion, brutal honesty, and musical maturity, you'll be hard-pressed to find a better metal album in 2006.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/10000-days-mw0000389803

Regards,

Duncan

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I like it, but don't love it. But then again, I didn't love the other albums. Every album has those one or two songs that make my MP3 rotation, but the albums as a whole tend to get a little long in the tooth for me. I think I'd rather hear another Aperfect Circle project (of original material that is).
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    For me, this is their most consistent album, although I think Lateralus has the better highs. That said, this one is the one I play the most out of the Tool discs.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Crap music. Metal has stunk post 1982. Poooo

Good music. Metal has evolved since 1982. Yaaaaay
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Jon Neudorf
    Quote Originally Posted by PROGMONSTER View Post
    Crap music. Metal has stunk post 1982. Poooo
    Really? That's absolutely ridiculous.

Jon

I played this again tonight. Not as good as the prior album Lateralus, but they had a high bar with that one. Wings for Marie/10,000 days was powerful live

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I like it, but don't love it. But then again, I didn't love the other albums. Every album has those one or two songs that make my MP3 rotation, but the albums as a whole tend to get a little long in the tooth for me. I think I'd rather hear another Aperfect Circle project (of original material that is).

That's exactly my take on TOOL. I like them but never could love any of their albums. In contrary to a band like The Ocean (Collective), where I constantly crave for more...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I too will take Lateralus over this, but I'm very glad I picked this one up recently. Hoping for a new disc and this time I won't wait so long to pick it up.
    "I want to be someone, who someone would want to be." Marillion

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Same as many I'll take Laterus over this but I like all Tool well enough to be reached for when I want something heavy.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by jlneudorf View Post
    Really? That's absolutely ridiculous.

Jon
    Yes metal is ridiculous

I also like Lareralus a bit better, but like this one a lot too.

Steve Sly

Initially, I felt like it was a step down from Lateralus, but I've since grown to love it.

I put this one pretty even with Lateralus. Great band.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

PE Member Since 4/9/2002 NeonKnight's Avatar
    Comes with friggin awesome 3D glasses to examine the mind blowing album artwork.

Music, though good, does not live up to the artwork or any of the first 3 albums. Much better live however.
    “Where words fail, music speaks.” - Hans Christian Anderson

Lateralus is my favorite of theirs, but I love this album. I think I'll play it now.

Great album, great band. This one is at least as good as Lateralus, to me. Aenema is still their classic, in my book though. By a fair margin.

neil

Not quite as stellar as the ones that preceded it but I have no doubt about its power live, especially Maynard's tribute to his mum.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

While not the masterpiece that Lateralus is, this album is pretty terrific. Lots of great tunes throughout. Really excellent packaging too!!!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Has anyone tried creating the "hidden" song from the album? See #7 on this list:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18896...us-albums.html
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I like both of the two previous albums more, but I still like this one, too. It was kind of "more of the same," though, so I don't mind that they took a long hiatus after it.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    Good music. Metal has evolved since 1982. Yaaaaay
    QFT
    flute juice

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Has anyone tried creating the "hidden" song from the album? See #7 on this list:

http://www.cracked.com/article_18896...us-albums.html
    First i'm hearing this...huh...i'm wondering if this is more the power of suggestion (listening now and i guess sure, but i mean you can do the same with a lot of songs)...this is something that Blair (their webmaster and one of Danny Carey's best friends) would have cooked up as something to have Tool fans on a wild goose chase for quite some time for, as per usual, absolute shit bullshitters-slapping-their-knees payoff.
    Last edited by Haruspex Carnage; 12-09-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Not a big fan of Tool as it sounds like gritty elevator music to me. I do like Maynard's Puscifer material.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Not a big fan of Tool as it sounds like gritty elevator music to me. I do like Maynard's Puscifer material.
    Just wondering, what elevators do you ride in?