Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: THe black hole of Cygnus x1 - was this its source Rush Hemeshperes?

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Enlighten me, what is your broader point?
    I'd be happy to enlighten you. The broader point is not that any particular artist would feel insulted by you dismissing the importance of their lyrics. Quite the opposite, they likely couldn't care less. The broader point is that your dismissal of lyrics in general as overrated, while certainly your choice, reeks of willful ignorance. In many cases, the lyrics are half of the song, and, in most cases, all of the context for the music. How one cannot appreciate the lyrics that the music is illustrating, is beyond me. By just listening to the instrumentation without even caring about what it's expressing seems a bit narrow-minded to me. It reduces the musicianship to just a bunch of notes with nothing behind them.

Once again, it's your choice to ignore all of that. Maybe it's just too much work for you. But, to go out and make a broad statement that lyrics are overrated is silly.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    Many of us listen the vocals as just another instrument. I love the way certain words sound when sung, but the meaning just isn't important to me. It's not that I can't appreciate good lyrics, but it's really the last thing I look for. Most of the time I donm't even hear the words, they vocals just float over the muisc and I couldn't tell you what they were singing about unless I read a lyric sheet. And I only read the sheet if I want to be able to sing along to the song.
    Why early Yes kicks ass, in a nutshell