Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sound of Music on NBC

The Sound of Music on NBC

So, you musical theater types out there, did any of you watch it? I can't stand Carrie Underwear so I avoided it like the plague but I understand some of the Broadway actors playing lesser roles (Mother Superior) knocked their parts out of the park. To me it seemed folly to do this but I understand the ratings were overwhelming. Does this mean live theater will return to TV?
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I can't stand Carrie Underwear
    It's Carrie Underwood, and.... what!? She looks great and sings great. I didn't watch all of it, because I like to watch the CBS Thursday night lineup. I caught some of it, and it was good. Carrie sang great.

I watched some of it on & off. It's always such a huge risk when you re-do something so iconic & engrained in our psyches. It wasn't terrible, IMO. But the shadow of Julie Andrews was tough to ignore. & it was a little tough getting around Underwood's "All-American" accent. Seemed outta place. (Yes, I know Julie Andrews didn't speak with an Austrian accent either, but it still worked for her)

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    It's Carrie Underwood, and.... what!? She looks great and sings great. I didn't watch all of it, because I like to watch the CBS Thursday night lineup. I caught some of it, and it was good. Carrie sang great.
    Humor JIF, it's called a sense of humor.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Humor JIF, it's called a sense of humor.
    How is saying that you can't stand Carrie Underwood humorous? I don't care if you don't like her. Just don't try to take it back.

I went to see Goblin last night, but I'm not sure i'd have watched this anyway, as I'm kinda attached to a certain Hollywood rendering of that story. It's kinda hard to top a film that has four (count 'em! FOUR!) geek culture icons, and Julie Andrews!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    I went to see Goblin last night, but I'm not sure i'd have watched this anyway, as I'm kinda attached to a certain Hollywood rendering of that story. It's kinda hard to top a film that has four (count 'em! FOUR!) geek culture icons, and Julie Andrews!
    That may be true, but Carrie is easier on the eyes.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'd rather look at a picture of Carrie Undewood and play...

The critic at the NYT wasn't hugely enamored with it. But it did draw 18.5 million, and if it helps bring a younger audience to musical theater then it was a success.

Banned

Judging by this performance, maybe Russell Mael should've played the Julie Andrews character instead of Carrie.

My friends who run in musical theater circles pretty much skewered it. My wife sat through it all despite declaring about 20 minutes through that Underwood couldn't act. What I caught was underwhelming from the acting standpoint, but really, if Kevin Costner could mumble his way through Robin Hood with a questionable accent, Carrie Underwood can twang her way through this. Not my cuppa, but it coulda been worse.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Wait a sec: Costner was trying for an English accent?? Oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Wait a sec: Costner was trying for an English accent?? Oh my!
    I didn't think he was trying at all. And what was Morgan Freeman doing in that movie?! Were there black people in England in the 15th century?!

I loved the line in Men In Tights, where Robin Hood explains that the people should trust him because "Unlike some Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent!".

But if we're gonna talk about movies where the accents don't jibe with the material, there's always The Boy In The Striped Pajamas, where the entire casts speaks with an English accent, even though the movie is set in and around a WWII concentration camp. Of course, the cast shouldn't have been speaking English at all, but hey, I guess you gotta make concessions so that Americans will watch your movie.

And don't get me started on accents on American television. On General Hospital, you've got an Australian police chief who speaks with an American accent, apparently because the actor who plays the role can't actually do a convincing one.

And then there's the glut of Australian, Kiwi, and British actors on American television who speak with American accents. Oddly, that once included a certain former General Hospital star who also sang with an American accent. Thank goodness Tim Roth kept his native accent when he was starring on Lie To Me a couple years back.

(and let's not forget that Hollywood in general got hijacked by the Canadians decades ago)

I wonder if there's American actors appearing on British, Australian and/or Kiwi television speaking with fake accents.

Yes, by questionable, I should've actually said non-existent.
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

But if we're gonna talk about movies where the accents don't jibe with the material
    Nah, I don't think we really will be...

Though I loved the film when I was a kid, on each subsequent re-visit I've found Dick Van Dyke's version of a Cockney accent in Mary Poppins very difficult to get past (to put it mildly). As a dancer, though, he certainly could "Schtepp in toime!"

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    Though I loved the film when I was a kid, on each subsequent re-visit I've found Dick Van Dyke's version of a Cockney accent in Mary Poppins very difficult to get past (to put it mildly). As a dancer, though, he certainly could "Schtepp in toime!"
    This is the benchmark that all other garbled accents are judged by.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

And what was Morgan Freeman doing in that movie?! Were there black people in England in the 15th century?!
    Ok, out comes my inner history geek... Don't remember the last time I seen the film, but I assume Freeman is playing a Moor - the half Arab/half black Muslims who ruled Spain at the time.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    This is the benchmark that all other garbled accents are judged by.
    Keanu Reeves worked hard to gain the #1 bad accent prize in "Bram Stoker's Dracula."

Quote Originally Posted by Koreabruce View Post
    If we're gonna talk about bad accents, the A Man For Emily serial from the 70's British sci-fi show The Tomorrow People takes the cake for me. The story features a group of extraterrestrials who arrive on Earth, having received TV broadcasts of TV westerns. So they assume that all of Earth plays out like episodes of High Chapparal, Bonanza, Gunsmoke, etc.

So the entire cast (including the show's regular) don cowboy duds and assume really bad accents. It's not even the right accent they seem to be trying to emulate. They sound more like rejects from The Beverly Hillbillies or Hee-Haw than anything you'd find in an actual western.

Carrie Underwood can sing fine, if you like her style, but she cannot act.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    How do foreign actors like Sharlto Copley, Alex O'Loughlin, Mel Gibson & Hugh Jackman manage to pull off a generic American accent so well when American actors like Costner, Sheen & Cage do such a crappy job just making a regional one convincing?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    How do foreign actors like Sharlto Copley, Alex O'Loughlin, Mel Gibson & Hugh Jackman manage to pull off a generic American accent so well when American actors like Costner, Sheen & Cage do such a crappy job just making a regional one convincing?
    When did Mel Gibson do an American accent? I've only heard him speak like an Aussie. Copley I've only seen in District 9, so I don't know how he does when he's not playing a South African bureaucrat.

Banned
    When did Mel Gibson do an American accent? I've only heard him speak like an Aussie. Copley I've only seen in District 9, so I don't know how he does when he's not playing a South African bureaucrat.
    Copley was in the movie version of The A Team, where he spoke with a Southern Accent.