Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Sound of Music on NBC

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    When did Mel Gibson do an American accent? I've only heard him speak like an Aussie. Copley I've only seen in District 9, so I don't know how he does when he's not playing a South African bureaucrat.
    Aside from the Mad Max movies, I don't think I've ever heard him with an Australian accent. He certainly had an American accent in the Lethal Weapon movies.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Aside from the Mad Max movies, I don't think I've ever heard him with an Australian accent. He certainly had an American accent in the Lethal Weapon movies.
    Mel's Aussie is detectable is some scenes in the first two LW movies. On IMBD, the explanation given for why he does this is in the second one(if I remember correct) is that he was working on Hamlet(where he was doing an English accent) and his accent one just came shooting LW 2. Listen to when he says "Roger" in the first two Lethal Weapon movies.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I thought Underwood's hills were alive with the sound of berrumskies.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Mel's Aussie is detectable is some scenes in the first two LW movies. On IMBD, the explanation given for why he does this is in the second one(if I remember correct) is that he was working on Hamlet(where he was doing an English accent) and his accent one just came shooting LW 2. Listen to when he says "Roger" in the first two Lethal Weapon movies.
    Yeah, I was thinking he spoke with an Aussie accent in those pictures too. Though now that I think about it, I haven't seen many of Mel's Hollywood pictures. I've seen the first two Mad Max movies (ages ago), the first two Lethal Weapons (I don't think I ever saw the third or fourth ones), and a movie he did around the time of the first Mad Max, called Tim, where he played a mentally challenged man who falls in love with a middle aged woman. I don't remember seeing any of the other movies I see listed on his IMDB profile.

Copley was in the movie version of The A Team, where he spoke with a Southern Accent.
    I'm not sitting through a crappy movie just so I can hear a South African actor do a convincing American accent. Here's hoping he siphoned his money from that job into more worthy projects.

When did Mel Gibson do an American accent? I've only heard him speak like an Aussie. Copley I've only seen in District 9, so I don't know how he does when he's not playing a South African bureaucrat.
    Wasn't he doing an American accent in Braveheart? it sure as shit wasn't a Scottish accent.

Quote Originally Posted by jake View Post
    Wasn't he doing an American accent in Braveheart? it sure as shit wasn't a Scottish accent.
    I remember on some forum about 10 years ago or more, some American was saying all Brits sound the same - they all sound like Ozzy. He also stated that Ozzy sounds just like the guy from Braveheart. Another poster (I assume a Brit) replied: "So let me get this straight: Ozzy sounds just like an Australian playing a Scotsman?"
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I went to see Goblin last night, but I'm not sure i'd have watched this anyway, as I'm kinda attached to a certain Hollywood rendering of that story. It's kinda hard to top a film that has four (count 'em! FOUR!) geek culture icons, and Julie Andrews!
    Who (what) are the four geek icons? Maybe what's her name from Lost in Space is one?

I watched about 2/3 of it. I thought it was ok - I'd never heard of Carrie Underwood, and casting her seemed aimed at attracting viewers who knew who she was and cared about her. I thought she was ok - I didn't NEED it to have Julie Andrews like some people did. It was a show before it was a movie, so I'm not sure why some people think it has to be so similar to the movie. IMO the worst casting was actually the youngest girl - she was just weird, not cute.

I thought it was nice to have a musical on TV. Growing up in the 70s there was always music on TV, and while a lot of it was crappy Donny and Marie type shows, it was still enjoyable to zone out too. And it would be nice if some more things like this could help chip away at all the reality show crap. I've never had any interest in any of the reality shows including the "got talent" ones, and in fact have never watched any of them, so I'm hoping they'll all go away at some point.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Copley was in the movie version of The A Team, where he spoke with a Southern Accent.
    I recently saw him in Europa Report, which I guess is why he came to mind.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I'm not sitting through a crappy movie just so I can hear a South African actor do a convincing American accent.
    Oh, the Kiss guy has standards all of a sudden?

You watch it on demand. Unsure if you have to have comcast/xfinity cable.

http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/T...82508709799112

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    He sounded pretty Australian in 'The Beaver'

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Who (what) are the four geek icons? Maybe what's her name from Lost in Space is one?
    That would be Angela Cartwright, and yes you've got one of them there.
    There's also

Nicholas Hammond, who played Peter Parker in the late 70's TV version of Super Man and one of the astronauts in the TV version of The Martian Chronicles.
    Heather Menzies, who was in the TV series version of Logan's Run, as well as perennial late night movie favorites Ssssss and Piranha (the original one, from 1978).
    Christopher Plummer, who was in Dreamscape and also did the voice of Metamorphis in the English language version of Light Years, along with the notorious Star Wars knock off Starcrash.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Oh, the Kiss guy has standards all of a sudden?
    I've always had standards. One thing I don't do is watch movies based on TV shows from 30 or more years ago. Well, ok, I did sit through that Dragnet movie with Dan Aykroyd, Tom Hanks, Alexandra Paul and (surprise!) Christopher Plummer, and of course there's the Star Trek movies. But the vast majority of those sort of movies just aren't worth the time and effort.

Hell, I'm not sure I'd watch the original A-Team series now, never mind a crummy attempt to reboot the franchise 30 years later.

That would be Angela Cartwright, and yes you've got one of them there.
    There's also

Nicholas Hammond, who played Peter Parker in the late 70's TV version of Super Man and one of the astronauts in the TV version of The Martian Chronicles.
    Heather Menzies, who was in the TV series version of Logan's Run, as well as perennial late night movie favorites Ssssss and Piranha (the original one, from 1978).
    Christopher Plummer, who was in Dreamscape and also did the voice of Metamorphis in the English language version of Light Years, along with the notorious Star Wars knock off Starcrash.
    LOL. I'm not even sure what Dreamscape is! Or Light Years! I do remember Starcrash, but didn't remember Christopher Plummer was in it. And I remember Sssss! BUT... I didn't know about The Tender Trapp! That's the best! LOL

LOL. I'm not even sure what Dreamscape is! Or Light Years! I do remember Starcrash, but didn't remember Christopher Plummer was in it. And I remember Sssss! BUT... I didn't know about The Tender Trapp! That's the best! LOL
    Dreamscape was a movie from circa 83-84, starring Dennis Quaid as a psychic who becomes involved in a top secret research program that allows people to enter the dreams of sleeping people, theoretically for therapeutic purposes. Early in the picture, Quaid's character helps a little boy destroy the monster chasing him in his nightmares, for instance. He eventually discovers a plot to assassinate the President by implanting an assassin in his dreams, apparently playing off the theory that if you die in your dream, you die in real life. Good picture, I thought.

Light Years is the English version of Gandahar, a late 80's animated film directed by René Laloux, who was responsible for the classic early 70's film La Plančte Sauvage (known in the English speaking world as Fantastic Planet).

As for Starcrash, I probably saw that movie about 30 years ago, so I had forgotten who most of the people in that picture were. I didn't realize until I saw it again recently, for instance, that David Hasselhoff was in it (Hasselhoff back when he really was just a Gino Vannelli look alike).

Oh, and I forgot that Plummer also played a Klingon, General Chang, in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country! He was in 12 Monkeys too!
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 12-09-2013 at 09:28 PM.

Oh, loved Fantastic Planet! My mom dragged us to see it back in the '70s and I was surprised to like it.

I saw most of it. Underwood is a terrific singer (C & W notwithstanding), but she can't act her way out of a paper bag and I'd be surprised if we see her acting again.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Plain and simple: Mean people need Jesus. They will be in my prayers tonight… 1 Peter 2:1-25

— Carrie Underwood (@carrieunderwood) December 7, 2013

Maybe they just need to watch Transatlantic's "Shine" video.

Oh, loved Fantastic Planet! My mom dragged us to see it back in the '70s and I was surprised to like it.
    That's a favorite of mine too. About 15 years ago, a cleaned up, English language print played at the Cleveland Cinemateque, which was the one and only time I've ever been there for a movie. I've got the soundtrack album too, which is unfortunately rather short, but it's pretty good. I've played a few tracks from it on Journey Of The Sorcerer's Apprentice.

Banned

Speaking of Lethal Weapon.