Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Grobschnitt remasters

2014 Grobschnitt remasters

I found this info on the Steve Hoffman music forum site. Eroc reveals details about many Grobshcnitt remasters In a couple of posts.

In December also Universal will show up with the complette GS-catalog, fully remastered plus . Plus a box with all 14 albums inside, together with a bilingual book.

The post below is an update to the above post:

Sorry to say, man - Universal will not be in time for Christmas with the releases. The project will be scheduled for Match or April next year. The good thing: now we've good much more time for carefully reviewing and correcting the artwork, which may take us days and weeks, because it's such a pile of work. Imagine: we sent nearly 1.000 fully "remastered" photos and newspaper-clippings over to them for use in the booklets and the box. And that only was the essence.

Another startling news especially for all those mastering and remastering nuts here in the forum: also next year we're scheduling a re-release of Solar Music Live, our signpiece-album from 1978. It will be available on Blue Ray Audio then. And the sensation - it will come in three (!) versions on this medium:

1. The original mix taken 1:1 from the original analog master-tape out of Conny Plank's Studio from 1978.
    2. A new remastered version from 2013, as it appears also on the CD release by Universal in spring.
    3. A digital remix from the original multitrack-tapes which I have to finish the upcoming weeks.

All of course in best quality in 24/192. So c'mon all you soundhogs here!!! This will be one of THE greatest releases in 2014...

- Eroc

This is good news. I will finally be able to get into this band without spending 40 bucks or more on each of their discs.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Just FYI, this info is already posted in the recent Rockpommel's Land thread, so you might not get much response here. However, this new thread could be useful for any further info on these new reissues. Looking forward to hear more about them, though I already have the Repertoire remasters of most of the Grobschnitt catalog. The box set sounds tempting though...

I'm interested to hear the three 80's albums that followed Razzia...they are the only ones I've not heard. Will probably go for the deluxe Solar Music as well.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Now some live video-stuff, at least the Rockpalast concert. (Although, I have that one)
    And I have a list from someone, who owned several other recordings on video, so I suppose some stuff must have been recorded and floating around.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Now some live video-stuff, at least the Rockpalast concert. (Although, I have that one)
    And I have a list from someone, who owned several other recordings on video, so I suppose some stuff must have been recorded and floating around.
    Would you mind sharing the list of what else exists on video?

Unfortunately the EROC remasters are the worst possible, lot of hellish compression. He destroyed thousands records remastering albums for SPV and REPERTOIRE

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    Unfortunately the EROC remasters are the worst possible, lot of hellish compression. He destroyed thousands records remastering albums for SPV and REPERTOIRE
    Don't hold back, please come clean on how you really feel!

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by Joe F. View Post
    Would you mind sharing the list of what else exists on video?
    This is the list that I got from someone, I think it is a certain Erik Bosman, at least the list is what he was selling
    Rockpalast - 8-12-1978 - 90m - TV - good
    ZDF Aspecte - 1978 - 5m - TV - good
    Musikladen - 1982 - 5m - TV - reasonable
    Düsseldorf - 23-4-1983 - 180m - CAM - reasonable
    Beatclub - 1984 - 45m - TV - good
    Loreley - 1985 - 50m - TV - reasonable
    München - 24-3-1986 - 25m - TV - good
    Bochum - 28-2-1989 - 180m - CAM - bad
    Bad Breisig - 11-3-1989 - 180m - CAM - bad
    Hagen - 4-12-1989 - 180m - CAM - good
    Hagen - 4-12-1989 - 240m - CAM - good
    Aktuelle Stunde - 1994 - 5m - TV - good

That is as far from the truth as you can get! Eroc's work is top notch your ears must have cotton in them!!!

I've heard worse but I've gone back to the original issues for Grobschnitt, they sound the best for me. Sometimes Eroc does add too much compression.

Quote Originally Posted by old school View Post
    That is as far from the truth as you can get! Eroc's work is top notch your ears must have cotton in them!!!
    Look, I adore the guy as a person and as a passionate musical soul but he often masters with tons of compression, lots of EQ and denoising.

I know he often has demands to work in this way. It's not easy being a mastering engineer and not everybody can afford to be a "purist" like Steve Hoffman.

But if you think his work is "top notch" you cannot possibly then rate very highly the work of people like Hoffman or Kevin Gray. These are polar opposite approaches.
    Last edited by JeffCarney; 12-08-2013 at 03:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I Will probably go for the deluxe Solar Music as well.
    I'd be intereste as well in SML ... and the debut... but that's pretty well it.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    Look, I adore the guy as a person and as a passionate musical soul but he often masters with tons of compression, lots of EQ and denoising.

I know he often has demands to work in this way. It's not easy being a mastering engineer and not everybody can afford to be a "purist" like Steve Hoffman.

But if you think his work is "top notch" you cannot possibly then rate very highly the work of people like Hoffman or Kevin Gray. These are polar opposite approaches.
    His mastering on SPV of five Grobschnitt albums were great. His Silver Mint Series is top notch. And his Gentle Giant remasters are good. Hoffman and Gray are the best so you are saying Eroc is in the gutter no way man .

I thought Eroc had supposedly improved as a mastering engineer over the years. I don't think I've heard any of his recent work so I really don't know. Those Grobschnitt remasters from 1998 should have come with coupons for Excedrin Migraine.

If i have cotton, you have feces...

His mastering on SPV of five Grobschnitt albums were great. His Silver Mint Series is top notch. And his Gentle Giant remasters are good. Hoffman and Gray are the best so you are saying Eroc is in the gutter no way man .
    I never said he was in the "gutter." That's your word.

He has a style. If you like that style, fine. He uses lots of compression and EQ. It's the way he likes music to sound and some people (and apparently you) enjoy that sound and there isn't a thing wrong with that. It doesn't happen to be my or some other people's cup of tea.

Are you talking about the Grobschnitt remasters from 1998 or the ones from 2008?

If i have cotton, you have feces...
    Why do have to go to the gutter dude? That quote is pure nasty and no reason for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    I never said he was in the "gutter." That's your word.

He has a style. If you like that style, fine. He uses lots of compression and EQ. It's the way he likes music to sound and some people (and apparently you) enjoy that sound and there isn't a thing wrong with that. It doesn't happen to be my or some other people's cup of tea.
    Yes some of his stuff he masters is not his fault Repertoire gives him bad tapes and rush's him. But his Silver Mint Series of live concerts are great as is some of his latest Grobschnitt remasters from 08. And I think the 2014 masters will be some of his finest work since the last time we talked.

Cookie Monster Guitarist Onomatopoeic's Avatar
    So... um... is there ANY recent scuttlebuttt on when these Grobschnitt reissues will begin flowing out of Universal / Brain?

Let's hope it ain't a wait like the Hawkwind Warriors On The Edge Of Time reissue was -- like years on end.

Looking like January now...

Quote Originally Posted by Dok View Post
    Looking like January now...

Unfortunately, "...in January" was what Eroc was sayin' back in December 2013.

Oh well, beggars can't be choosers.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    He's already remastering them AGAIN since then.

Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    He's already remastering them AGAIN since then.

Maybe...

I wonder if we will get both the 2013 and 2014 editions?