Thread: The Black Codex - A Musical Series by Christiaan Bruin (SKY ARCHITECT)

The Black Codex - A Musical Series by Christiaan Bruin (SKY ARCHITECT)

Hi guys,

just want to inform you on a new project I'm about to launch:

THE BLACK CODEX is a 1-year musical series, made by Christiaan Bruin (SKY ARCHITECT, CHRIS, NINE STONES CLOSE), starting the 1st week of 2014.

Here's the idea: during the course of a whole year (2014), subscribers receive by email, a newly composed and recorded piece of music EVERY week, together with illustrated lyrics, drawings, and many other bonus features. These weekly episodes will culminate in one epic storyline, with many characters, intrigues, adventures and much more.

The Black Codex can be compared to a TV-series with weekly episodes, but in this case the story is told through music, lyrics and illustrations. There's certainly a very adventurous journey ahead, as this has never been attempted before in a similar way.. It's like a concept album-deluxe.

The trailer can be seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bE2Cm8WgpEQ

THE BLACK CODEX will take off on 5 January the 2014, and continue for the rest of 2014.

Membership costs are 4 euro each month.

For more information, visit:
    www.theblackcodex.com
    www.facebook.com/theblackcodex

Wish me luck, and join the ride!

cheers,

Christiaan

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Cool - I was just listening to Sky Architect's Excavations of the Mind and really digging the combination of influences. And I enjoyed Jay Tausig's project where you could a monthly piece of music for an upfront "membership."

A couple of questions:

- Not that you should bound to compositions of certain lengths, but do you have an idea of what the range of track lengths might be? Just a guess - I just want to make sure I'm not purchasing 51 one-minute-long compositons (not that I'd mind that much if the all linked together well).

- Can one join later in the year and still download all the 52 tracks by the end of the year? Is there an advantage to joining by a certain date?

Good luck. I'll go listen to the trailer.

I might as well try to answer them:

Q1: so far the two episodes where 7 minutes long forming a 14 minute overture. I reckon there will be shorter instalments as otherwise it would turn out to become the equivalent of seven 50 minute cd's in one year.

Q2: AFAIK you can join later (paying for a full year) and then receiving all the previous episodes. The big advantage of joining now is you get to enjoy it as it develops

Hi there!

- the way things are looking now, all the episodes will be between 6 and 8 minutes long.
    - yes, you can join later. As soon as you sign up for 52 weeks you'll receive all the earlier episodes that you've missed.

Hope this answers your questions!

cheers,
    Christiaan

I'm quite enjoying this after 5 episodes especially the way the tracks are moving into each other. It's quite interesting to not know where the music will go each week. Really strong music.

Is anyone else enjoying this?

I am. Curious to see where the story and the music leads us.

Although this is musically not completely my cuppa I like the idea and the ambition behind it.

Projects like this need support. I'm in.

It is indeed very ambitious and so far I am absolutely loving it. The track Flight Of Columbo so far has been my highlight.

This week 11 episode is pretty good. Poppy vocal tune (but in a good way) with a nice orchestral build up. Christiaan is starting to sing better, don't you think?

The black codex just need more guitars. It would benefit if it would get a lilttle rougher around the edges.

Hi guys,

Freia Music will also release The Black Codex as a box set, consisting 4 double CD's in digisleeves and a booklet.
    The first double album, Episodes 1 - 13, has been released this week.

More info on: http://www.freia-music.nl/c-2347119/christiaan-bruin/

Also, it's still possible to sign up later and receive the earlier episodes. Check out www.theblackcodex.com for lots of previews.

cheers,
    Christiaan