Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Featured CD - Secret Chiefs 3 : Book Of Horizons

Featured CD - Secret Chiefs 3 : Book Of Horizons

Another album with a PE presence in the lineup...

Per Allmusic:
    Secret Chiefs 3's first three studio albums were not exactly stripped-down affairs, but Book of Horizons is by far an ambitious release. The first volume of a planned three-part series of albums, Horizons is set up to resemble a compilation of bands, the catch being that all of these bands are headed by SC3 leader Trey Spruance. The six bands, which have two or three songs each on this album, encompass pretty much the full range of SC3's previous stylistic forays, including the funeral ballads and marches of the Forms; the orchestral, Persian-themed rock hybrids of Ishraqiyun; the time-traveling surf-rock of UR; the electro-acoustic collages of Electromagnetic Azoth; the extreme death metal band Holy Vehm; and the sweeping film music homages of Traditionalists. These "bands" are not physically separate entities so much as they are distinct concepts, since musicians overlap from one band to the next, and can change from song to song within each band. In any case, this separation of SC3's many diverse elements into distinct bands has led to more extreme song-to-song contrasts than on any earlier SC3 release. The two Holy Vehm songs are heavier than anything Spruance has ever released, while the more linear, melodic numbers (Traditionalists' Morricone-esque "The Exile," the Forms' "The End Times," UR's surf-tinged cover of the Exodus theme) rank as his most lavishly orchestrated productions. In between these extremes lies the Devo-esque surf-rock of UR's "Anthropomorphosis: Boxleitner" (a worthy sequel to "White As They Come" from First Grand Constitution and Bylaws), the reverb-drenched Afghani folk-metal of Ishraqiyun's "The 3," and Forms' stunning closer "Welcome to the Theatron Animatrique" -- which sounds like the sort of orchestral film music that should be coming out of Hollywood circa 2004. Remarkably, given the huge orchestrations on so many of the tracks, there are only two samples on the entire record; all of the string sections, choirs, and such were the result of marathon overdub sessions à la Mr. Bungle's California. Even so, the album doesn't sound like it was labored over or artificially assembled, with the exception of the intentionally cut-and-pasted tracks by Electromagnetic Azoth and a few of the harsher edits on Holy Vehm's "Hypostasis of the Archon." And unlike Book M, which felt stiff and mechanical in spots, and California, which occasionally lacked the songwriting material to match the lavish production, Horizons comes through with soulful performances and top-shelf material on nearly every track (Ishraqiyun's "The Four" doesn't quite get off the ground like the other songs). The jarring juxtapositions between a few of the songs here disrupt the flow of the album here and there, a side effect of the compilation approach. Minor quibbles aside, this is a frequently jaw-dropping album that should silence Spruance's anti-Bungle critics and, more importantly, challenge and entertain devoted fans of his past work.
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/book-o...s-mw0000477970

Regards,

Duncan

Never heard a note from this band until I saw them warm-up Goblin back in Oct. Since then, I have become a huge SC fan and have acquired most of their catalogue.....Still trying to digest it all.

Hands down the best, most inventive, music being created today. Love this album. Good show Duncan.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Meh....not edgy enough for me.

Sorry, couldn't resist...I got my first dose of these guys opening for Goblin and they were damned impressive. I've since bought this one and (I think) Book of Souls. The studio albums aren't hitting me as strongly as the live show did, but they are still really impressive. Well worth checking out, for the adventurous among us
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    Hands down the best, most inventive, music being created today. Love this album. Good show Duncan.
    yup

...I'm just gonna sneak in here and mention there's a Secret Chiefs 3 West Coast tour in the works, from February 2nd-15th (or 16th?). Vancouver to San Diego and everything in between. Atomic Ape (formerly the Orange Tulip Conspiracy) is opening the first half of shows up north, miRthkon the second half down south (double duty for me! *collapses*)...

Keep your eyes on http://www.webofmimicry.com for details.

- Matt

An excellent album indeed. In a conversation with Trey a few years ago, I compared it to Sgt. Pepper for its sheer breadth of sounds and ideas - which, fortunately, he took as the compliment I meant it as.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebofsky View Post
    ...I'm just gonna sneak in here and mention there's a Secret Chiefs 3 West Coast tour in the works, from February 2nd-15th (or 16th?). Vancouver to San Diego and everything in between. Atomic Ape (formerly the Orange Tulip Conspiracy) is opening the first half of shows up north, miRthkon the second half down south (double duty for me! *collapses*)...

- Matt
    Very good to hear. It'll be nice to see OTC/Atomic Ape again - I'd wondered what happened to them. As for miRthkon, at least you don't have to play the same instrument in both sets....
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 12-05-2013 at 05:31 PM.

- Matt
    Hey Matt, do you know who we'll get in the Bay Area, miRthkon or AA?

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Meh....not edgy enough for me.

Sorry, couldn't resist...I got my first dose of these guys opening for Goblin and they were damned impressive. I've since bought this one and (I think) Book of Souls. The studio albums aren't hitting me as strongly as the live show did, but they are still really impressive. Well worth checking out, for the adventurous among us
    Ha! Actually, SC3 are the Ginsu of music while someone like, say Ephemeral Sun are more like a butter knife. :P

Also couldn't resist.

But, to your point, I thought the set opening for Goblin was quite different from many of the others I've seen over the years, in fact I'd call it edgier for lack of a better term. The music on Book of Horizons is more representative of 5 years ago SC3, much more cinematic is how I'd describe it.

Now watch, John (Baritbozer) is going to reply with something nine thousands times more eloquent than what I just clumsily posted.

Hey Matt, do you know who we'll get in the Bay Area, miRthkon or AA?
    miRthkon. February 15th. The Chapel, SF.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Never heard them before the songs that Duncan posted here. Sounds very good.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Great band, really enjoyed their performance supporting Goblin.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

...I'm just gonna sneak in here...
    Hoped you'd check in, Matt.
    Regards,

Duncan

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar

An excellent album, by far SC3 best. (Though, I quite like most of their catalogue.)
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Thanks for the heads up w/the tour dates. Can't wait to catch at least one of em'!

Superb album that like others on here, I only discovered a few months back. Really would hope they come across to the UK at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by tallliman View Post
    Superb album that like others on here, I only discovered a few months back. Really would hope they come across to the UK at some point.
    They tour Europe every now and then.

I have been lobbying *heavily* for them to play at the RIO Fest and eventually had them in contact but alas it seems its not happening

Their show here in TLV a few years ago was one of the best gigs of my life - yes they were THAT good

Quote Originally Posted by Udi Koomran View Post
    Their show here in TLV a few years ago was one of the best gigs of my life - yes they were THAT good

Far and away, SC3 are the most impressive live band.

Far and away, SC3 are the most impressive live band.
    And hats off to Trey for turning SC3 into a live band
    I mean for many many years this was a studio project and when I heard he is forming a live band I honestly doubted if he could pull this stuff off in a live situation
    As we know the result surpasses all the expectations and the official DVD is a good example

Great stuff.

are those two tracks in the OP representative of what they usually do on their other albums as well???
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    are those two tracks in the OP representative of what they usually do on their other albums as well???
    Stylistically, they are all over the place. Usually middle-eastern, electronic and extreme metal influences are the most prominent. They are somewhat similar to Mr. Bungle except maybe a little more ethnic and experimental.
    The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off

Quote Originally Posted by zravkapt View Post
    Stylistically, they are all over the place. Usually middle-eastern, electronic and extreme metal influences are the most prominent. They are somewhat similar to Mr. Bungle except maybe a little more ethnic and experimental.
    Film music is also a big influence - specifically, Indian, Italian, and other European film music, but not Hollywood all that much.

Also, very unlike Bungle, they are mostly instrumental - completely so, live. Book of Horizons has one tune sung by Trey Spruance - he's not a great singer, but it works - plus a couple of extreme-metal tracks where the croaking, treated vocals might as well be another distorted guitar or trashy cymbal. Book of Souls, Folio A contains a reunion of Trey with Mike Patton for one cinematically corny Jacques Brel cover, with a typically over-the-top Patton vocal. Otherwise, both are entirely instrumental, and I think their earlier albums are as well.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 12-07-2013 at 09:08 AM.