Thread: Maria Callas - 90th Anniversary

Maria Callas - 90th Anniversary

Hard to think of more appropriate listen than this white-hot performance of Tosca Act II which displays the unique chemistry between two great artists and singers - Tito Gobbi and Maria Calls. Truly progressive (in a sense) and very dramatic score by Giacomo Puccini.

"The world will soon be right again,
    Innocence and undying love will reign."
    - Transatlantic

Coincidentally I just received this in the mail today

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00005QHVY

3 CD/1 DVD set; I grabbed it off the Amazon UK site where it was under $10 with shipping (ZOverstocks). Not sure when I'll get around to listening/watching. I did watch Passolini's Medea earlier this year and enjoyed that and the long documentary on Callas that was the bonus...come to think of it, I watched the docu-drama Callas this year as well.

Peter

I have tried to understand opera's appeal. I'm afraid I have so far failed. Professional wrestling does the same plots better.

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    Coincidentally I just received this in the mail today
    And I got this several days ago

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JC16LM
    - Transatlantic

I have most of the EMI complete operas but none of the recitals. I just in general lost interest in recital recordings. I know am probably missing something. One day I will check her recitals and realize what a fool I was not to look into them sooner. There has never been an equal to La Divina Maria. Her bravery in sacrificing beauty for dramatic truth has left us a legacy which will probably always be in print. It also shortened her career by the demands it made upon her instrument. The classic Tosca with Gobi and Di Stefano under De Sabata is unbeatable. I would also recommend Divina Records, a supplier who issues rare live Callas recordings in superlative sound quality. I have a Norma with Mario del Monaco and Giullietta Simionato live from La Scala on Dec 7, 1955, which makes you wish you were born decades earlier. Oh to have been there. I think of Callas' career like that that of Charlie Parker's. A bright super nova that burned intensely but briefly. Nice to see Callas discussed on the board. Check out divinarecords.com and window shop...

In deference to the anniversary I prioritized the DVD - it was the television broadcast from her first performance in Paris. Ninety minutes long - the first fifty minutes were highlights, the last portion was given over to a staged scene from Tosca. Very impressive material. I've never been a big fan of listening to operas, but seeing them is something else entirely. --Peter

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I have tried to understand opera's appeal. I'm afraid I have so far failed. Professional wrestling does the same plots better.
    I get that, but when it's done well there's no denying the appeal, much like a good symphony orchestra. Or a good ballet company. We're hoping some day to get to see the SF Opera.

In deference to the anniversary I prioritized the DVD - it was the television broadcast from her first performance in Paris. Ninety minutes long - the first fifty minutes were highlights, the last portion was given over to a staged scene from Tosca. Very impressive material. I've never been a big fan of listening to operas, but seeing them is something else entirely. --Peter
    I understand re referencing the dvd. I have a few opera dvds but many, many audio recordings. The dvds are mainly historic productions like the Chereau Ring. Same with rock music, I have no dvds. Never got into it for some reason. I am a huge fan of live music of all sorts but watching it on the screen leaves me cold. I wish it weren't so. Nevertheless, Callas was very dramatic and really comes across well on the screen.

Aside from seeing the action, DVD's and blu-ray's have subtitles so I can UNDERSTAND the action. BTW, the clip from the first post has the same actor playing the bad guy as the Paris performance I watched. --Peter

BTW, the clip from the first post has the same actor playing the bad guy as the Paris performance I watched. --Peter
    Tito Gobbi.

I tend to get the DVD version of the operas where possible, but only if:
    a. I like the cast or it's the only one available and I really love this opera, and
    b. the production is closer to "classical", "traditional" - yeah, yeah, can't help it - I'll be voting with my wallet.

In case of Maria Callas there are very few video recordings available which is very sad, as her dramatic talent simply cannot be praised highly enough; so I got "Callas in Covent Garden 62-64" DVD which contains also the second act of Tosca I linked in my original post.
    Last edited by Azol; 12-07-2013 at 03:31 PM.
    - Transatlantic