Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RIP Progressive Ears 2.0

I'm not crazy about it - but its better than going from Windows 7 to 8.

Yves buddy, I hope you'll just eventually realize that the skin is different, but it's all pretty much the same place. It just takes a bit of getting used to.

Personally, I have plenty of small gripes. As a mod here, there's a lot more to digest than your average user. But I think this was the best move in the end because it just had to happen. We couldn't spend much more time patching together the old forum.

While some things about the interface won't change, we're always open to improving the site (sorry to speak for Sean and Duncan here). Since we've started just a few weeks ago, there have already been many small changes. I have a list I'm accumulating as well that may help with navigation and the experience, etc.

Overall I'm enjoying the change. It just needs to be broken in a bit, like a new pair of shoes or an 18-year old virgin.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    While some things about the interface won't change, we're always open to improving the site (sorry to speak for Sean and Duncan here).
    NP - as you know, the 3 of us are on the same page.

It just needs to be broken in a bit, like a new pair of shoes or an 18-year old virgin.
    There are 18-year-old v--

(never mind)
    Regards,

Duncan

BTW, we're at almost 10,000 posts on the forum (not including the groups) - and that's in just over 3 weeks and takes into account the migration of everyone. Most forums would die for that kind of traffic.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Now that we see all the new options open to us without going private, I think the mindset of many may change and private group discussions may not proliferate as much.
    To some, that's a great thing!

Cozy,

I'm fine with PE 3.0. The point I was making is that it does not have the same feel. It is more difficult to overview the entire board like one would on the 2.0 version. I have to keep trying to remember which threads are in which forums. Now, I simply use the "New Posts" feature and this place looks a lot like the old place did.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

BTW, we're at almost 10,000 posts on the forum (not including the groups) - and that's in just over 3 weeks and takes into account the migration of everyone. Most forums would die for that kind of traffic.
    That is great. I think this is going to be something special. I am liking so much about this new forum and I'm still discovering things. Great job guys.

Yeah, I pretty much keep it on "new posts" after checking my groups. That seems to work the best. Waiting for the archives to cross over now.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Waiting for the archives to cross over now.
    Which ones?

there are a few threads we'll be bringing over in the next few days. Not many. Are there any specific ones you had in mind?
    Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 11-25-2012 at 01:23 PM.
    Regards,

Duncan

The Nektar thread and the reviews.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Cozy,

I'm fine with PE 3.0. The point I was making is that it does not have the same feel. It is more difficult to overview the entire board like one would on the 2.0 version. I have to keep trying to remember which threads are in which forums. Now, I simply use the "New Posts" feature and this place looks a lot like the old place did.
    I've just made my setting such that any thread I post in gets subscribed to. That way I just click on Settings when I first get here and it shows all the threads I posted in that have new posts. I then go to New Posts for the ones I haven't posted in.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    For me, it's all too much - I really don't want to dig through multiple forums, so when I visit I just use the "new posts" button route and that suits me perfectly
    BG
    That's what I've been doing too. It's the most like the PEv2 experience. I know I'm missing some stuff that way. But I've never had, and never wanted, my finger in every pie anyway.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The Nektar thread and the reviews.
    Definitely being brought over...
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    To mis-quote Lincoln: "You can't please all of the people all of the time".

I can't tell you how many requests, demands, pleas we got for an extra forum on PEv2. They were always for something different - some wanted an extra forum for birthdays and RIPs, some for vendors to openly announce new releases, some wanted a way-off-topic forum ... the list went on and on, and the demands went on and on.

The demands for extra forums were so strong that I spent an entire f***ing week at one point re-working the old system to create a new forum. I wasn't able to deliver it because the old system was so committed to the 2-forum system, and because we never had a test environment - all development was done on the live system, and if I broke anything during my tests, the system would be down. So I stopped. But the requests for an extra forum continued to come in.

And you know what? There's already been a strong (well-reasoned) request for another forum here on PEv3.

Now, we've accommodated those many, many requests and provided a few extra forums ... and some people hate it.

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

The forum selection here was not random. It was the culmination of what the mods need, the requests received over many years, and what simply makes sense. And - as an FYI - the forums here are fluid, and can be changed. The mods are discussing them constantly. We will eventually settle on a structure that will cause the fewest gripes.

But even then, there will still be gripes.

My advice: Go with the flow. You'll get used to it. Let us work on refining it as we experience the new system. It will eventually be better than the old - if it isn't already.

FWIW, I've been a big, big advocate of the "New Posts" function for those who just cannot (or refuse to)adjust to the new forum, and I've found that it's where I'm most comfortable.

My major complaint about the old PE was that it was so strict in the types of discussions allowed. I've championed the idea of private threads, but it wasn't the privacy aspect - it was the OT aspect. Too many of us are interested in many other things besides music, and there has been some very enjoyable discussions over the years. So, now with the new forums, we can have those discussions, more people can participate, and new members (or those who don't come here often) can still participate.

Frankly, I really don't understand most of the criticisms on V3. For me, it's better in just about every conceivable way.

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Which ones?

there are a few threads we'll be bringing over in the next few days. Not many. Are there any specific ones you had in mind?
    Unless I missed it, I'd love to see the "Prog Memes" thread migrated. There's some great stuff on there.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'm starting to like this forum, though I'm not always sure where to start a thread. What I like is the possibility to jump to the first new post and the possibility to jump back to a cited post.

Yves buddy, I hope you'll just eventually realize that the skin is different, but it's all pretty much the same place. It just takes a bit of getting used to.

Personally, I have plenty of small gripes. As a mod here, there's a lot more to digest than your average user. But I think this was the best move in the end because it just had to happen. We couldn't spend much more time patching together the old forum.

While some things about the interface won't change, we're always open to improving the site (sorry to speak for Sean and Duncan here). Since we've started just a few weeks ago, there have already been many small changes. I have a list I'm accumulating as well that may help with navigation and the experience, etc.

Overall I'm enjoying the change. It just needs to be broken in a bit, like a new pair of shoes or an 18-year old virgin.
    Coz...

outside you "fixing" the 18y-o Virgin (instead of me, you bastard ), I just want to make sure that despite our bitching and moaning and "regretting the old days", we actually really appreciate your (Admins in general) efforts and thank you greatly for them... I am amazed Duncan has blown the lid of his blood pressure with our constant bickering... I just wish that both your and Dunc's avatar would be smiling instead of pouting

============================

But yeah, I also understand Yves' feelings about the new not being the same as the old... Yeah, we're a bunch of old geezer moaning about how today is not as good as yesterday...

But I'm definitely not convinced that the "new post" feature is supposed to replace the "all-in-two-glances" of the 2.0... Unless some threads get blocked from this feature, it's kind of useless, because a third of the post are in the Now-Listening or Whatever Happened To threads...
    For ex: ProgArchives blocked the Just For Fun threads from polluting the recent posts features >> i used that feature to discover some threads I wouldn't have known existed otherwise, because I simply don't check out all the multiple forums there...

Sooooo, my idea is that if the new post feature is to work correctly, a lot of these WOT and some OT threads should be excluded from appearing...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

Sooooo, my idea is that if the new post feature is to work correctly, a lot of these WOT and some OT threads should be excluded from appearing...
    That's a pretty good idea, if you could select which forums would appear in "New Posts" in your settings you could customize that feed to meet your tastes.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just introduce them to Scott Bails then.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    ...I'd love to see the "Prog Memes" thread migrated. There's some great stuff on there.
    It's on the list.
    Regards,

Duncan