Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Featured CD - Jon Anderson : Olias Of Sunhillow

Olias SACD...Auto buy!!!

A cool and odd choice for SACD release. Sadly, stereo only - not 5.1.

J. D.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    Here's a site that an obsessed fan has put together: http://olias.wordpress.com/
    Thanks! (I do wonder why Roger “James” Dean didn’t create the Olias artwork – after all, the “Fragile” paintings were the initial inspiration for J.A.)

Anyway, I was listening to Olias on the way to work this morning. There’s a weightless bounce to the album that the Yes mothership occasionally aimed for, but rarely achieved. If you strip away the intricate layers, the songs themselves are indeed lightweight, as noted above. But how is that a bad thing? It’s a good thing! A very special album, this.
    "Dem Glücklichen legt auch der Hahn ein Ei."

Banned
    It's a great album (although sligthly underrated, methinks) and I even remember the day when I bought my copy at Soho in 1979.

I played this recently, one of my fave albums of all time but I still cant believe that Jon played and arranged it all - he must have had help.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    ...but I still cant believe that Jon played and arranged it all - he must have had help.
    I can believe it. If you break it all down the individual instrumental parts aren't that tricky. It's mostly all textural with very simple but potent melodies and harmonic lines. It sounds more complex than it really is because of how it's all layered.

I think the part that was outside of Jon's skill set was the editing and mixing, which caused it to be delivered months later than scheduled. THAT'S where he should have gotten more help.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by at least 100 dead View Post
    Thanks! (I do wonder why Roger “James” Dean didn’t create the Olias artwork – after all, the “Fragile” paintings were the initial inspiration for J.A.)
    Funny story: this past November I was on CTTE where I strolled in to Roger Dean's exhibit, not thinking about my Olias of Sunhillow shirt that I was wearing that day. When Roger saw the shirt, he says in a stoic, thick British accent, "Sweet mother of God, it's Olias...of...Sunhillow." From his tone, I took it that I had made some sort of prog gaffe as I remembered then in the recesses of my mind that another artist had done that cover, even though he gave Roger some credit. I tried to salvage it, with Roger just (only somewhat good-humoredly) saying, "Yes, he said some platitude like 'Thank you Roger for the seed of inspiration' or some such thing." I decided not to ask for my photo with Rog' in that moment.

Pure genius. Love every second of it.
    The Prog Corner

Quote Originally Posted by ScottAM View Post
    Funny story: this past November I was on CTTE where I strolled in to Roger Dean's exhibit, not thinking about my Olias of Sunhillow shirt that I was wearing that day. When Roger saw the shirt, he says in a stoic, thick British accent, "Sweet mother of God, it's Olias...of...Sunhillow." From his tone, I took it that I had made some sort of prog gaffe as I remembered then in the recesses of my mind that another artist had done that cover, even though he gave Roger some credit. I tried to salvage it, with Roger just (only somewhat good-humoredly) saying, "Yes, he said some platitude like 'Thank you Roger for the seed of inspiration' or some such thing." I decided not to ask for my photo with Rog' in that moment.
    Makes you wonder how many Oliases he was asked to sign in his career.

Not as many as the 90125s Howe has been asked to sign.

"Hey! A Frisbee! Go fetch! Idiot!" - SH

^^ Tough love. Customer retention is for losers.

If I remember correctly (it was along time ago) Jon's wife at the time was of Indian descent and a Hindu. I hear many Indian musical influences in this album and, of course, Tales used the Hindu shastras as the basis of its four movements. I wonder if Jon has every talked about those influences and whether his relationship inspired his music? Maybe a question for Henry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Not as many as the 90125s Howe has been asked to sign.
    NOW I have a reason for a meet-and-greet !!

"Please do not touch Mr. Howe."
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Please don't squeeze the guitarman.

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    Please don't squeeze the guitarman.
    Just laughed at the thought of Steve Howe as the new face of Charmin!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

The lad done well with this one, I for one would love to hear a Steven Wilson 5.1 mix of this, assuming the master tapes are available and in good condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    "Please do not touch Mr. Howe."
    That's exactly what they told us at the Meet And Greet in Dayton last August.

Hilarious because he actually did shake my hand.
    The Prog Corner