Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Featured CD - Jon Anderson : Olias Of Sunhillow

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    I wish that one of the quality reissue outfits could get a hold of this. This one really begs for a deluxe reissue.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Great album - loved it from the first time I heard it. Would love to hear a cleaned up re-master of it - some of the textures are a bit murky - but then again that adds to the hazy, ethereal quality of much of the album. This is the best Jon Anderson has ever sounded in his entire career.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I wish that one of the quality reissue outfits could get a hold of this. This one really begs for a deluxe reissue.
    If a remix were possible, then I'd be interested.
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

This is a STUNNING album. It must have come out from left or something. Completely unprecedented.

Incidentally, I love this guy's simple "Campfire song type" cover. Just proves how great the songs are on this record.

Quote Originally Posted by N_Singh View Post
    Incidentally, I love this guy's simple "Campfire song type" cover. Just proves how great the songs are on this record
    Jon proved again and again during the 70s how good he was at spinning spellbinding vocal lines over the simplest of chord changes. It's been a very long time since I've heard from that Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Jon proved again and again during the 70s how good he was at spinning spellbinding vocal lines over the simplest of chord changes. It's been a very long time since I've heard from that Jon.
    Completely agree. Man, "spellbinding vocal lines" is totally right. Sadly, at some point he completely lost that touch to create such magic and became mundane and cliched.

It's a great album but I'm surprised we're over 30 posts into this thread and the name 'Vangelis' hasn't come up.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    It's a great album but I'm surprised we're over 30 posts into this thread and the name 'Vangelis' hasn't come up.
    Actually there was a thread elsewhere not long ago that mined the "Jon was/wasn't influenced/guided/directly-helped by Vangelis for Olias" topic pretty exhaustively. Not that it's not relevant here, but maybe folks feel like it's been discussed already. I know I do.

I bought it and listened to the album at least twice, about 10 years ago...yet I must had been in very bad mood as I found it kind of annoying and as of now it still does not have my recommendations...I better revisit it…

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Who's Jon Anderson?
    He's the singer the band Yes abandoned when he was suffering from illness, and replaced with someone who impersonated him so fans would hopefully not notice that he wasn't there. Then they fired that guy and hired another impersonator.

That's who Jon Anderson is.

Here we go.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    He's the singer the band Yes abandoned when he was suffering from illness, and replaced with someone who impersonated him so fans would hopefully not notice that he wasn't there - And charged the same money as they would for the original real singer. Then they fired that guy and hired another impersonator.

Edited in the interests of historical accuracy.

Extended versions, songs left off the album, studio run thrus, interview w/Jon, toss in 'Making of' and a couple live songs on DVD...

I'm shocked nobody's milked a couple deluxe re-fabs out of this already....

Oh, boy! I'll probably get slagged for this, but I think this is a lightweight, amateurish record. It suffers from his inbility to really play any instrument well. The vocals are beautiful, but this thing really never did it for me. Nice cover, though! Anderson's best, IMHO, is Animation. Much more instrumental muscle. The dude is damn good in Glass Hammer though!

Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post
    Extended versions, songs left off the album, studio run thrus, interview w/Jon, toss in 'Making of' and a couple live songs on DVD...

Wasn't Jon having run-ins with folks at Atlantic over getting Animation reissued? Would those issues extend to Olias?

And surely it would be a no brainer to package a deluxe reissue with The Sky And His Shadow. Plus there's the OGWT footage. Boom -- money in the bank for Jon and the label.

I like this album. I do not love it no matter how hard I have tried. To give you a frame of reference, I believe that Tales is a singular artistic achievement of the last half-century.

But Olias? I am grading student presentations right now, so I couldn't resist...

Atmosphere A+
    Originality A
    Production A-
    Tunes C

That's the problem for me. Unlike Tales, there is not a single melody that every worms its way into my brain or makes me happy. Again, I do like putting on the record every now and then for the atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Oh, boy! I'll probably get slagged for this, but I think this is a lightweight, amateurish record. It suffers from his inbility to really play any instrument well. The vocals are beautiful, but this thing really never did it for me. Nice cover, though! Anderson's best, IMHO, is Animation. Much more instrumental muscle. The dude is damn good in Glass Hammer though!
    I love Animation (!!!), but don't think it's a fair comparison. I also don't think the instrumentation hurts the material at all. One doesn't have to be a prodigy to execute well.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Oh, boy! I'll probably get slagged for this, but I think this is a lightweight, amateurish record. It suffers from his inbility to really play any instrument well. The vocals are beautiful, but this thing really never did it for me. Nice cover, though! Anderson's best, IMHO, is Animation. Much more instrumental muscle.
    Hey, no slagging from me, that's a perfectly valid opinion. There are many cases where I'd agree with you, particularly about the lack of "muscle." What's funny for me is that I was actually surprised how well Anderson did play the instruments on this. I guess I expected much more of a train wreck, and feel that he did a pretty good job of giving the music some instrumental girth to back up the songs. Not as much as Yes proper, to be sure. But in this case, for what he was trying to do, I was satisfied. But I can see how some wouldn't be.

Animation never did a thing for me, but it's been years since I heard it, maybe I should try again.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    I like this album. I do not love it no matter how hard I have tried. To give you a frame of reference, I believe that Tales is a singular artistic achievement of the last half-century.

But Olias? I am grading student presentations right now, so I couldn't resist...

Atmosphere A+
    Originality A
    Production A-
    Tunes C

That's the problem for me. Unlike Tales, there is not a single melody that every worms its way into my brain or makes me happy. Again, I do like putting on the record every now and then for the atmosphere.
    Wow, totally the opposite for me. I can sing Olias from start to finish, and find the tunes to be particularly memorable, and often quite stirring (particularly Solid Space, which I think is one of the best things Anderson ever came up with). On the whole, I like Olias better than Tales, particularly in the "tunes" department. But you're certainly entitled to your opinion on it. I'm glad I'm not your student, though.

Bill

Loved it at the time of release, vinyl copy purchased at Esoteric Records in Sacramento CA, and now, ho-hum. Just didn't hold up well for me at all. Still love the artwork.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    He's the singer the band Yes abandoned when he was suffering from illness, and replaced with someone who impersonated him so fans would hopefully not notice that he wasn't there. Then they fired that guy and hired another impersonator.

You forgot to mention that Chris Squire is fat and Steve Howe is haggard.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave (in MA) View Post
    You forgot to mention that Chris Squire is fat and Steve Howe is haggard.
    Don't forget about the drunk behind the drum kit.

This album always takes me right back to my mid-teenage years, when Yes were pretty much the defining sound and guiding light of my personal musical cosmos. Five solo albums in a year seemed like a treasure trove when there was such space between proper band releases. Of the five, this and Squire's stand tall and for me have the power today that they had on release (I still have a lot of repeat for Moraz's too). Jon never really got that close to capturing the magic in his subsequent albums, and of course Chris never really tried to go the solo route again. I can listen through in my head to both albums, every nuance, so who needs Steven Wilson and 5.1?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    That's the way I feel plus i'm not a fan of either's solo work. Everytime a thread comes up like this though I play it again and again it confirms that I just can't appreciate it like most can. My loss.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tom unbound View Post

I'm thinking of restored/reconfigured art booklet and a remix, really.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

I'm thinking of restored/reconfigured art booklet and a remix, really.
    Change the artwork? Why would anyone do that? Only the original artist should have a say in that. I think it's perfect.