Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Asia album has a name

New Asia album has a name

Asia have announced the title for their next studio album - 'GRAVITAS'. It should be released on Spring 2014.

Nice. By the way, does anyone know if the John Payne Asia will ever be releasing an album? (I like both outfits). Wasn't that in the works for a long time now? Or has JP moved on from that project?

Quote Originally Posted by Reach View Post
    Nice. By the way, does anyone know if the John Payne Asia will ever be releasing an album? (I like both outfits). Wasn't that in the works for a long time now? Or has JP moved on from that project?
    As far as I know, 'Americana' was delayed again.

Hmmm...I thought they had already decided to call it Valkyrie before Howe was replaced by Sam Coulson. Never really understood that, anyway - how can you name it before you've even recorded it?

I've given up on Payne's Asia.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

IIRC they've been in the studio for some time now recording it or have they been demoing tracks???

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Hmmm...I thought they had already decided to call it Valkyrie before Howe was replaced by Sam Coulson.
    Wetton, in an interview, said they were having second thoughts about the name.

Sad to say, I have too. I'd so love for a second GPS album to pop into existence, but that won't happen either, it looks like.

I talked briefly to Erik Norlander at the NorCal Progressive Festival a couple weeks ago and asked him if the Payne Asia CD would ever see the light of day. He offered to give me his cell phone to call John Payne direct and ask him. For what it is worth, Erik would like to see the CD released as well, but it is apparantly all up to Mr Payne. So, we shall see....

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Wetton, in an interview, said they were having second thoughts about the name.
    Don't worry, they're still calling the band/website Original Asia, even with the new, unoriginal guitarist.
    "Henry Cow always wanted to push itself, so sometimes we would write music that we couldn't actually play – I found that very encouraging." - Lindsay Cooper, 1998
    "I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip." - Roger Waters, 2014
    "I'm a collector. And I've always just seemed to collect personalities." - David Bowie, 1973

I do hope the Payne version of Asia does get around to releasing the CD.

I did enjoy a significant amount of the Payne / Downes era Asia, and really enjoyed the GPS CD they did for InsideOut.

I would just assume there be 2 bands I truly enjoy than one I love.

Hmmm...I thought they had already decided to call it Valkyrie before Howe was replaced by Sam Coulson. Never really understood that, anyway - how can you name it before you've even recorded it?
    They wanted some positive news showing they had concrete plans when they announced the line-up change, so I think they kinda rushed announcing an album name early.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy View Post
    IIRC they've been in the studio for some time now recording it or have they been demoing tracks???
    They have been in the studio recording for some time now. Indeed, I presume they've nearly finished (and Downes will be busy working on the Yes album soon).

Coming towards 8 years since they began working on their album.

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

What do you guys think of Sam?

after Phoenix the albums haves gone downhill, i think i'll pass on the next one..... also gave up on JP Asia- too many promises no deliveries!

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post
    What do you guys think of Sam?
    Haven't really heard anything from him yet.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

anyway - how can you name it before you've even recorded it?
    hm, why not?

This album will be different:

1 - No Howe. Sam in
    2 - No Max Paxman. Self-produced this time
    3 - Mix by John Mitchell (Arena, It Bites)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    No Max Paxman. Self-produced this time

Getting Rob Aubrey on board for the new CD speaks volumes about its highest quality and, needless to say, the production will be excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
    Getting Rob Aubrey on board for the new CD speaks volumes about its highest quality and, needless to say, the production will be excellent.
    Rob co-producing or just engineering?

I still can't believe Asia has never issued an album titled Areola.

Banned
    Has anyone seen the album cover? It's all over the web.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    Has anyone seen the album cover? It's all over the web.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Roth View Post
    Thanks, Dan. I think that's a cool cover. I put that right up there with Asia's classic albums covers, which doesn't include Phoenix or Omega.

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Maybe they need one called "Amnesia," because these newer Asia albums are pretty (and unfortunately) forgettable.
    Chad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldfire Nexus View Post
    Maybe they need one called "Amnesia," because these newer Asia albums are pretty (and unfortunately) forgettable.
    Are you even a fan? I have never heard Phoenix, but I like Omega and love XXX. Give this one a chance before you shoot it down. This one may be a little different, because of the new guy(Sam Coulson). On paper, this one seems to be different. John Mitchell from Arena is a contributor, and there is a guest cellist. There is an interview with Wetton online where he talks about the songs. There is a prelude, and seems to be some classical influence. Could this new one be a concept album?

^Yeah, I thought Phoenix was pretty good. I can't speak for the others though.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    ^Yeah, I thought Phoenix was pretty good. I can't speak for the others though.
    Speaking of which, I have never heard Phoenix, but I heard that it was Asia's most progressive album. Is that true? If so, this new new one seems to be along the lines of that one(judging by the interview that I read from Wetton online). Sorry to jump all over Cold Nexus, but to me, Omega seemed like a cousin to Alpha and XXX a cousin to the debut. So, what's not to like? Unless he liked the John Payne era more.