Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: New Asia album has a name

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    There's also a Red Lobster moment he uses way too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthNY Mark View Post
    I can't tell whether or not you're kidding, but I haven't noticed this if you're not. What music are you thinking of?
    Yeah, I was kidding.

...at least two different people on two different fora have commented independently that the intro to "Subway Walls" makes them want to buy jewelry
    Definitely one song I will *not* be playing for my wife anytime soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Downes has done this sort of thing very often with Asia, throughout the years.
    If you mean during the later Payne years, that could be, as I never heard anything after Arena--I just couldn't stomach JP's vocal mannerisms. But if you are also referring to any Asia album with Wetton other than what I mentioned, I would respectfully disagree. While he has always played with classical-style pastiche, the ones I mentioned on those three tracks have a very specific, recognizable sound that is very different from, say, the codas to "Cutting it Fine" or "Alibis." As far as I can recall, no one ever talked about feeling the need to buy engagement rings when describing those. Have you listened to the three tracks I mentioned back-to-back?

"The diamond heart pendant, show her your love on Mother's Day..."

^^^^ I really like the intro to Subway Walls. When I first heard it, it took me back to Drama & the 2nd Buggles album - it's Downes doing the one-man orchestra thing.

If you mean during the later Payne years, that could be, as I never heard anything after Arena--I just couldn't stomach JP's vocal mannerisms. But if you are also referring to any Asia album with Wetton other than what I mentioned, I would respectfully disagree. While he has always played with classical-style pastiche, the ones I mentioned on those three tracks have a very specific, recognizable sound that is very different from, say, the codas to "Cutting it Fine" or "Alibis." As far as I can recall, no one ever talked about feeling the need to buy engagement rings when describing those. Have you listened to the three tracks I mentioned back-to-back?
    well, I'm not exactly sure of what you're talking about here, as I find Gravitas to be completely horrible, but I'm talking about the intros to things like "Daylight" and "The Smile Has Left Your Eyes," to name just a couple. But I don't know if that's exactly in line with your examples.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    well, I'm not exactly sure of what you're talking about here, as I find Gravitas to be completely horrible, but I'm talking about the intros to things like "Daylight" and "The Smile Has Left Your Eyes," to name just a couple. But I don't know if that's exactly in line with your examples.
    No, those are not even close. These are all much longer passages, and they all involve what sounds like somewhat quick, almost swirling, contrapuntal playing by a string orchestra. It is very distinct, and he never used it before "Anna's Kiss," as far as I know, but seems to be using on almost every album since. Of course, it is very reminiscent of the music used on certain popular jewelry commercials (which has nothing in common with stuff like the organ intro to "Daylight.")

EDIT: I never noticed until you pointed it out how melodically similar the intros to "Daylight" and TSHLYE are, though--very interesting, given that TSHLYE is a Wetton solo composition. I guess the different instrumentation disguised the similarity for me. In these later cases, the sections are far longer--like self-contained songs--and use pretty much the same string sound.
    Last edited by NorthNY Mark; 07-02-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akustika View Post
    ^^^^ I really like the intro to Subway Walls. When I first heard it, it took me back to Drama & the 2nd Buggles album - it's Downes doing the one-man orchestra thing.
    I like it too--but have you heard "Anna's Kiss" or the intro to "Heaven Help Me Now?" Just curious as to whether you find them as remarkably similar to the "Subway Walls" intro as I do.

I wouldn't mind hearing him use more of that melancholy oboe or bassoon sound he used a lot in the Buggles/Drama/early Asia days. He had this way of evoking individual instruments, while still having a certain sonic signature of his own--the string orchestra sounds seem a bit more generic to me, but I almost always ejioy his playing.

I'm starting to think I may be the only one to have heard all three of these recent albums, so maybe he just wants to really make sure everyone gets a chance to hear this particular composition.

I like it too--but have you heard "Anna's Kiss" or the intro to "Heaven Help Me Now?" Just curious as to whether you find them as remarkably similar to the "Subway Walls" intro as I do.

I wouldn't mind hearing him use more of that melancholy oboe or bassoon sound he used a lot in the Buggles/Drama/early Asia days. He had this way of evoking individual instruments, while still having a certain sonic signature of his own--the string orchestra sounds seem a bit more generic to me, but I almost always ejioy his playing.

I'm starting to think I may be the only one to have heard all three of these recent albums, so maybe he just wants to really make sure everyone gets a chance to hear this particular composition.
    I revisited “Anna’s Kiss” (from Icon-3) on the way to work this morning. I do agree that all 3 songs have a similar sound…but Anna’s Kiss never made a big impact on me. “Prelude” (from Gravitas) left me wanting for more; it also has drums which distinguishes it from the others.