Thread: Tom Stoppard Radio Play Based on Dark Side of the Moon

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

Tom Stoppard Radio Play Based on Dark Side of the Moon

Amazed to see the second article in the NY Times today. Somehow I missed the first:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/20...?smid=pl-share

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/26/th...?smid=pl-share

(My son was watching me type this on PE. He said "Is DSOTM progressive rock? Isn't it classic rock?" Why I oughta...!

No, it's not progressive rock. It is classic rock with psych, blues and prog elements.

What were we talking about?

I actually gave him what I thought was a pretty good answer: that some prog rock albums can become classic rock albums. IMO whether or not an album is classic rock has to do with what kind of airplay it got. If there was no such thing as "classic rock radio," would there be such a thing as classic rock?

Anyway, I need to get the CD of this radio play - read the articles. Stoppard wrote new lyrics for the album, that comment on the philosophies behind the original lyrics. Sounds fascinating - Stoppard is pretty much a genius, and friends with the Floyds, especiallly Gilmour.

Exactly JKL, good answer.

Classic rock is what something becomes perceived as years later, it isn't a type of music per se. Lots of albums from way back will never be thought of as classic rock due to minimal airplay and minimal sales.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    It is classic rock
    There is no such thing as classic rock as a music style. If you think there is, then define it?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I actually gave him what I thought was a pretty good answer: that some prog rock albums can become classic rock albums. IMO whether or not an album is classic rock has to do with what kind of airplay it got. If there was no such thing as "classic rock radio," would there be such a thing as classic rock?

Anyway, I need to get the CD of this radio play - read the articles. Stoppard wrote new lyrics for the album, that comment on the philosophies behind the original lyrics. Sounds fascinating - Stoppard is pretty much a genius, and friends with the Floyds, especiallly Gilmour.
    There was never 'classic rock radio' in the UK, just a few radio rock shows. The term 'classic rock' was coined here in the eighties, as a derogatory term, rather like 'heavy metal'.
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ears View Post
    There was never 'classic rock radio' in the UK, just a few radio rock shows. The term 'classic rock' was coined here in the eighties, as a derogatory term, rather like 'heavy metal'.
    Are you saying the term "classic rock" was coined in UK? (I just don"t know if you're in the UK or not.) And are you saying "Heavy Metal" is a derogatory term?

He already wrote the seminal Rock & Roll about his native Plastic People of the Universe and the band's role in the Charta-77 movement (which embryonically charged the downfall of the eastern bloc concrete-communist regimes). Thankfully, PPU were never "classic rock".
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Are you saying the term "classic rock" was coined in UK? (I just don"t know if you're in the UK or not.) And are you saying "Heavy Metal" is a derogatory term?
    I am in the UK, but I am not claiming we first used the term 'classic rock'. It (classic rock) was a jokey term in the UK in the eighties, as if to imply it belonged to uncool mums and dads, but now seems more positive with the passing of time. 'Heavy metal' was a derogatory term for heavy and hard rock, although it now appears to have positive connotations for fans of a certain type of music. Indeed, they seem to draw a distinction between heavy rock and heavy metal. Ozzy Osbourne said he hated the expression, while Rob Halford uses it with pride.

I suppose you can take your pick. One of the problems with those who use jargon, is that they are reluctant to define their terms.

I always understood Pink Floyd and Dark Side of the Moon to be progressive (verb, noun or adjective), as they demonstrate a progression beyond the traditional guitar/drums or verse/chorus format. Another problem with the jargon users is their intention to rewrite history.

I noticed Stoppard's BBC Radio Two play, Darkside, is not available on iPlayer, but there are streams on other sites. I am uncertain of their availability overseas or their closing dates. There is a CD package, with Aardman animation and Hipgnosis artwork, so the BBC will want to capitalise on this as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Big Ears; 11-28-2013 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Overuse of the word 'seems'!
    Member since Wednesday 09.09.09

Bill Nighy is in it. Epic!!

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Saw his play "Rock & Roll" which featured Syd Barrett

I somehow neglected to go see Rock & Roll, which was stupid of me.

Rock & Roll was good, but some of Stoppard’s stuff is just over my head. I went to see Arcadia because a friend was acting in it, and I can’t tell you the last time a work of art made me feel so dumb. By the end, I was completely lost and frustrated.

-------------
    MIKE (a.k.a. "Progbear")

"Siento que debemos saber para el sueño de quién brillará esta luz
    o consagrar una propia estrella" --Alberto Felici

N.P.:“Heatwave”-Univers Zero