Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sgt P's LHCB

Sgt P's LHCB

I've never been a big Beatles fan, so believe it or not I've just finished listening to LHCB for the very first time EVER...I saw a cheap CD of it yesterday & went for it, only 4 euros.

You may find it even harder to believe that there were FIVE songs on there that I'd never EVER heard before.

Getting Better
    Fixing a Hole
    Lovely Rita
    Good Morning Good Morning
    Sgt P's LHCB - Reprise

I think it's a good album, I like all the songs...but I still prefer Rubber Soul, Revolver and Abbey Road.

Views?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    You're a freak.

Greatest album ever!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It was the very first non-kids album I listened to, and I nearly wore my cassette out. You're not really a freak (well, not just because of this, anyway), but it's pretty hard to imagine any prog fan or future prog fan not being pretty familiar with this album. I have a feeling "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite" is what initially set me on the road to being receptive to full on progressive rock.

A conceptual and production milestone but too many weak songs for so exhalted an album. Revolver is better, imo, and I prefer MMT to it.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    You're a freak.
    Yep, now tell me something I don't know

MMT and Sgt. Pepper should've been a double LP...I prefer these two over all they've ever done together.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    but too many weak songs for so exhalted an album.
    Yes, I agree. Having heard all the hype about it for decades I was expecting much better songs. Like I said, I like them all, but some of them really are either very weak or drenched in music hall comedy antics.

I think the reason I've never bothered with it before is because I knew all the main songs on it & liked them, but not enough to buy the album, but more importantly it has always been an expensive album on vinyl and CD both new and secondhand, but this was so cheap that I had to go for it.
    Last edited by PeterG; 11-27-2013 at 05:38 PM.

In mono is the only way to listen to it

There's a special spirit on Sgt. Pepper album, that makes it a masterpiece. It's like a fairy tale, a facsinating journey.

Revolver (UK version) is better. MMT isn't even an album and is not superior.

Listening to Pepper in mono- just as the reprise begins you can hear George's voice and at the end you can hear Paul yelling his lungs out. I like to hear the differences.

Has anyone compared the White Album mono?

I remember my brother's friend had the LP and brought it over. They took it into the bedroom and shut the door. I sat by the door listening through the crack, just to be able to experience it. The radio played some of it. One station played the whole thing- That was the only time I really heard it until my parents bought it for me for Christmas.

Wow.

I really have to agree though- it's an important album, and an influential album, and when it's good it's great, but it's not their best and not my favorite. I actually prefer most of MMT to it myself; the American album that is (though the low points on MMT are much lower than those on SP, Pepper is more consistent.) But to never even have heard it- that blows my mind *lol*

I consider it the most important Pop Rock album in terms of production values for the development of Progressive Rock.There were a LOT of hippies wearing out the grooves of this album in the Summer of 67.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Wow. :P But to never even have heard it- that blows my mind *lol*
    I know, right? I thought it might give someone a kick.

I suppose really it's a classic case of "well, I just never got round to it"

I've noticed in recent years it's been cool for hipster bloggers & rag writers to take this album down several notches from it's long lofty position. I call bullshit on this "backlash". It's too damn easy, esp. for those who weren't "there", to shoot down & humble this album & its impact to a generation. It wasn't everyone's thing, but it sure was for many others & from everything I've read, turned rock music upside-down.

I remember crying to "She's Leaving Home" when I was about 7.
    Last edited by Rickenbacker; 11-27-2013 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    there were FIVE songs on there that I'd never EVER heard before.
    That explains a lot.

Let us know when your mom lets you back on the internet.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I've never been a big Beatles fan, so believe it or not I've just finished listening to LHCB for the very first time EVER...I saw a cheap CD of it yesterday & went for it, only 4 euros.

You may find it even harder to believe that there were FIVE songs on there that I'd never EVER heard before.

Getting Better
    Fixing a Hole
    Lovely Rita
    Good Morning Good Morning
    Sgt P's LHCB - Reprise

I think it's a good album, I like all the songs...but I still prefer Rubber Soul, Revolver and Abbey Road.

Views?
    And you have the audacity to argue the origins of Glam and Grunge. Unfuckingbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    In mono is the only way to listen to it
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Has anyone compared the White Album mono?
    Yep, it's great. Many differences, most notably in "Helter Skelter." I like it a bit more, because it's seems a bit heavier. I can't say it's superior to the stereo; it's just as good. Not like "Pepper," where, like "Revolver," the proper version is the mono.

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    A conceptual and production milestone but too many weak songs for so exhalted an album. Revolver is better, imo, and I prefer MMT to it.
    You're missing the point:

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    I've noticed in recent years it's been cool for hipster bloggers & rag writers to take this album down several notches from it's long lofty position. I call bullshit on this "backlash". It's too damn easy, esp. for those who weren't "there", shoot down & humble this album & its impact to a generation. It wasn't everyone's thing, but it sure was for many others & from everything I've read, turned rock music upside-down.
    ^^+1. Yes, it was exhaulted not as much for the material (which I love), but for the walls it tore down. The release of "Pepper" was an event like no other before or since. It's all people talked about. There's are books and college courses written about it.

The aura of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," far and above transcends the material within. And, it just happens to be my all-time favorite album.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The record was an event. I remember Johnny Carson talking about it and holding the album up on his show. Grownups talked about it, validated it. For once they had something that they could take seriously in rock. The album was not a 'concept' but it kept you rapt in its bubble for the duration that it was on. ONce tripping, the middle section with the strings in Within You and Without You impressed itself upon me as one of the most momentous musical moments in my life. The changer on my portable GE record player always lifted the needle before the end groove; it was years before I heard it.

so believe it or not I've just finished listening to LHCB for the very first time EVER..
    That surprises me but I'm not shocked. There's lots of classic/rock that I didn't hear when it was contemporary and I didn't hear/buy any of those classics until within the last 7-10 years. So let 'em roll their eyes. Fuck 'em. The beauty of recorded music is that it's always there to be discovered and re-discovered decades, and decades later.

Anyway ... I didn't own Sgt. Pepper (the CD) until maybe 10 years ago. It was a gift from my little girl. The last time I remember actually hearing the whole album was probably 30 some odd years before that (not counting the overplayed songs on oldies and classic/rock radio). I don't think I heard it in 1967 completely. But anyway I think it is a great album. It deserves all the praise it gets. I think Strawberry Fields should've been on the album but whatever. The only track I don't like is Good Morning. Favorite tracks have always been Lovely Rita, Getting Better, Mr. Kite, Sgt. Pepper. Is it better than anything before this album? No, I still prefer the Hard Day's Night/HELP era myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    You're missing the point:
    Not at all. It's an important but flawed album, imo.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

I think sometimes to get the full significance of a thing, it helps to have witnessed it in its time. 60's am radio and the general feel of the music of the time was very different than today. Some top songs of 1966 (Sgt. Pepper's was being recorded) were The Ballad of the Green Berets, Cherish and These Boots Are Made for Walkin'. Although albums existed, they were considered secondary to such 45 singles. Sgt. Peppers took us from the black and white climate of 60's doo wop music, to the full color world of Oz. There was nothing like it up to that point. You didn't have the option listen to a Tales From Topographic Oceans or a Brain Salad Surgery. Someone who now considers this work, but out of context doesn't realize how this album blazed a new path, a new vision for the musicians of that day. This was now the goal to aim for. Popular music changed forever the day it was released.

Not my favorite Beatles album, but as others have mentioned, given the context of when it was released it was one of the most important albums in the history of rock n roll. I was too young to even be aware of it when it was released as I never really delved into the Beatles until long after they broke up, but this thing had to have been completely ground breaking at the time it was released. It still amazes me what the Beatles accomplished in the span of less than a decade and this one was one of their milestones.

Steve Sly

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post

The aura of "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," far and above transcends the material within. And, it just happens to be my all-time favorite album.
    It's not my all time favorite album, but there has been no album before it or since it, that had the same effect on my mind. I was a young (12.5 year old) when it came out and things really got interesting in the musical world after it. Those looking back at it who didn't live thru those times, are looking with musical experiences that possibly wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for the musical experiment this was.