Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Iron Maiden - Virtual XI

The solo album that Blaze put out after he left Maiden, Silicon Messiah, is actually far better than either of the albums he did with them. Faint praise, but it's still a decent album.

I think at the time, I was just happy that Maiden kept going after Bruce.
    Virtual XI is probably my least favorite of all their albums, but not without its merits. 'The Clansman' makes up for the rest of rest of the mostly forgettable bunch of songs on this album.
    It was around this time , or maybe starting with the X factor, that the song arrangements really lacked some creative twists and they would just repeat chorus after chorus over and over til you get the itch to push the skip button. This repetition works great in a live context, with the crowd singalongs and all, but bores me on a studio album.

Quote Originally Posted by SUDSY View Post
    I think at the time, I was just happy that Maiden kept going after Bruce.
    This repetition works great in a live context, with the crowd singalongs and all, but bores me on a studio album.
    Not if you're standing in a crushed crowd with no room to move, and unable to see the stage.

My last experience of Maiden live was a real physical endurance test - venue was far too packed, with people all piling on top of one another. No real 'safe area' to retreat to at the back of the auditorium, it was just a sea of bodies from the stage all the way to the rear exit.

Boy, I could have used a little less chorus repetition that night....