Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Yes-Close To The Edge goes to SACD Finally! :)

Quote Originally Posted by tullman View Post
    Thanks for info.

So you were banned for the Amazon review or was it the thread about Rumors? Did you post on that thread? I missed the show. I am sorry you were banned. You do have passion for music/recordings. I like that, even though I don't always agree with you.

I've had plenty of posts deleted over there. I really don't mind. It is SH's website, so he can do whatever he wants. I really don't blame him for not wanting negative posts about his work. It's kind of like going over to someone's house for dinner and insulting the cooking. Ego is sometimes a double edged sword. Ego can drive one to excellence and give one confidence. Most pro athletes have huge egos. Ego can also piss people off.
    I actually agree with much of what you're saying, but keep in mind that posts of mine were being deleted and I hadn't said anything negative about Hoffman's version. I remember clearly that I hadn't even heard it yet when they zapped a post of mine simply mentioning that I had decided to play the "other" version and it sounded really good.

Something smelled funny about that whole situation. One theory I've seen is that the so called "EU" version might well have beem taken from a "flat" transfer done by Hoffman and Gray that was later decided would be redone with some EQing. This certainly seems possible as the idea that Warner would cut two separate 45RPM 2LP versions targeted at audiophiles and release them at the same time seems suspicious. It's as if they already had a version ready to go and didn't want to waste it ...

Hoffman sometimes brings more speculation about than he needs to by making mountains out of molehills, IMO. People are going to have questions and want to compare recent releases to other versions that are released. This is especially true when another release takes place within a similar time frame!

These "worship me or be banished for life" sites really bug me. When you censor honest opinion you create a false sense of perfection in an imperfect world. It's just wrong which is why I no longer go to S.H.

I got the Diament Close To The Edge today in a used shop for $6. Listened to it once. I find it to be less bright than my other version, but over-all a good listen. This version benefits the most on Siberian Khatru which sounds brilliant to me. And You and I sounds great, but I prefer my vinyl transer of Close To The Edge more.

Rick