Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Phil Collins: New music/tour/Genesis shows 'possible'

Phil Collins: New music/tour/Genesis shows 'possible'

http://www.genesis-news.com/news-Phi...ible-n381.html

Collins may write new songs and play live again

Phil Collins 2010Yesterday (21/11/2013), the Tarzan-musical was premiered in Stuttgart, Germany. Phil Collins attended the show and made himself available for interviews. Collins spoke about the musical, but also about his life as a father and, surprisingly, about a possible comeback. Collins said that his sons want him to return to work and also to go on tour again. He said he wouldn't care if his manager asked him that, but now that his sons want him to return, he is more motivated and takes it rather seriously. Collins may also be writing new songs ("I have started thinking about doing new stuff"). No further details nor time-frame were mentioned. It is the first time that Phil Collins has publically expressed interest to write new songs or to play live again since he retired after his last album Going Back. Collins is still suffering from an verteba-injury, which makes it impossible for him to play drums these days.

You can see a short interview in German on German TV station ZDF (click here and choose the right film on the right side), and there are also several reports in newspapers and news-websites today in Germany (click here to see an example).

UPDATE 24/11/2013: The german boulevard newspaper "Bild" quotes Phil: "I'm thinking about doing some shows again, even with Genesis. Everything is possible. We could tour in Australia and South America. We haven't been there yet". Click here to see the whole article (in German!). The "Hamburger Abendblatt" has published a similar article here.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Please please please get together and write something with Tony and Mike!

Quote Originally Posted by progfan915 View Post
    Please please please get together and write something with Tony and Mike!
    I'd like to see them write together again. I'm not that interested in a tour, to be honest (I skipped the '07 reunion) but I'd love some new music. The three of them writing from scratch as they used to, with no preconceptions of what it should or shouldn't be.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

After what Steve Hackett has done with Genesis Revisited, maybe the actual reunion of the prog-five could happen? I'm not holding my breath, but it seems that even Robert Fripp is playing follow the leader, and his new version of King Crimson may be a trip into nostalgia? We shall see. Fingers crossed!
    Day dawns dark...it now numbers infinity.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I'd like to see them write together again. I'm not that interested in a tour, to be honest (I skipped the '07 reunion) but I'd love some new music. The three of them writing from scratch as they used to, with no preconceptions of what it should or shouldn't be.
    Ditto. New music. Don't worry about a show. If anyone wants to see later-day Genesis perform, they can get the "When In Rome" DVD.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I always suspected his "retirement" wasn't carved in stone. He'd be smart to return to something in the vein of his first solo album, not the later Motown, feelgood, and maudlin stuff of his later solo career. Try to sound like you used to be in Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I always suspected his "retirement" wasn't carved in stone. He'd be smart to return to something in the vein of his first solo album, not the later Motown, feelgood, and maudlin stuff of his later solo career. Try to sound like you used to be in Genesis.
    Yeah, if he's thinking of another solo album, I'd really hope for something like Face Value or Hello I Must Be Going. My own personal favourite is Both Sides, but I don't necessarily want that style repeated. He needs to break out something like "I Missed Again" or "Do You Know Do You Care".... the problem, though, is I don't think he can drum anymore - and if he can, it certainly wouldn't be with the ferocity of his heyday.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Yeah, if he's thinking of another solo album, I'd really hope for something like Face Value or Hello I Must Be Going. My own personal favourite is Both Sides, but I don't necessarily want that style repeated. He needs to break out something like "I Missed Again" or "Do You Know Do You Care".... the problem, though, is I don't think he can drum anymore - and if he can, it certainly wouldn't be with the ferocity of his heyday.
    Ah, he can drum.

Actually, the album I was thinking of was his second, Hello, I Must Be Going - I always liked the song "Like China."

I don't think I've ever heard anything from Both Sides.

I'm assuming some new box set is right around the corner -- perhaps the Genesis Collection: Original Mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    I'm assuming some new box set is right around the corner -- perhaps the Genesis Collection: Original Mixes.
    ...by Steve Wilson, for sure....:-)

I've heard talk that Tony and Mike are eyeing the success of Hackett's tour and are kinda itching to go out and play again themselves. It would hold a lot more water with Phil on board....

Ah, he can drum.

Actually, the album I was thinking of was his second, Hello, I Must Be Going - I always liked the song "Like China."

I don't think I've ever heard anything from Both Sides.
    He had surgery on his neck a few years back which led to his retirement, as well as wanting to spend some time with his kids after he got divorced from Orianne Collins....The surgery, if memory serves me- was kept low key.

As much as I wouldn't mind new material from him but I am not holding my breath either. If anyone thinks a 5 man lineup of Classic Genesis is going to happen I don't that it will. The 35th Anniversary of The Lamb came and went, and the 40th Anniversary is next year. I doubt that Peter, Mike, and Steve are going to drop any of their 2014 touring plans to create a new live tour for The Lamb. As much as it would be cool to see, it's not going to happen.

You mentioned you haven't heard anything from Both Sides- Does the Song, "Everyday" ring a bell? Or even the title track?

The problem with the album Both Sides is that it was Phil playing everything on the album with no input from anyone else. Kind of a low point for music output in my opinion.

Just my thoughts
    Bryan B.
    Host, "The Aisle of Plenty"
    The Best in Progressive Rock from the past 40 years
    Saturdays, 6AM-8AM Eastern
    classxradio.com

Encore Broadcasts
    Fridays 4PM-6PM Eastern, DeliciousAgony.com
    Saturdays 8PM-10PM Eastern, CrossStreetRadio.com

Ah, he can drum.

Not a huge fan of Collins solo, but agree "Like China" is a great song. As for a re-union, if there was a tour I would go regardless of the lineup. I really enjoyed the 07 tour.

Steve Sly

Well, this thread should reach 78 pages.

No interest at all in a tour, as I can't stand when a band has to tune down/slow the tempo for their singer. But a new recorded work, that paid homage some to their more proggy roots, would be welcome. But don't give me any of that "Hold on My Heart" or "Jesus He Knows Me" crap. Use "Fading Lights" as your model, and you might be onto something.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Well, this thread should reach 78 pages.

No interest at all in a tour, as I can't stand when a band has to tune down/slow the tempo for their singer. But a new recorded work, that paid homage some to their more proggy roots, would be welcome. But don't give me any of that "Hold on My Heart" or "Jesus He Knows Me" crap. Use "Fading Lights" as your model, and you might be onto something.
    That's why I skipped the '07 tour - and we're talking about my favourite band of all time here! But many people enjoyed it, which is great. They did throw the audience a few choice bones too, what with "Ripples", "Duke's Travels" and "Carpet Crawlers" in the sets. It just wasn't something I personally needed to attend. I found the documentary about that tour fascinating though. Fully agreed about a new recording - do it while you're still capable, fellas! A couple of rockers would be nice... something proggy (since that's not the dirty word it was back in '91)... let Tony stretch out and have another go at composing a keyboard solo. For god's sake, I was 18 years old the last time those three made an album together - I'm *40* now.

Oh, and I love "Jesus He Knows Me".

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    That's why I skipped the '07 tour - and we're talking about my favourite band of all time here! But many people enjoyed it, which is great. They did throw the audience a few choice bones too, what with "Ripples", "Duke's Travels" and "Carpet Crawlers" in the sets. It just wasn't something I personally needed to attend. I found the documentary about that tour fascinating though. Fully agreed about a new recording - do it while you're still capable, fellas! A couple of rockers would be nice... something proggy (since that's not the dirty word it was back in '91)... let Tony stretch out and have another go at composing a keyboard solo. For god's sake, I was 18 years old the last time those three made an album together - I'm *40* now.

Oh, and I love "Jesus He Knows Me".
    I paid $270 for just okay seats (each). Ripples was not enough to overcome literally one of the worst concert experiences of my life. I should have just left the memories of the 70s show. Nothing against those who enjoyed the show - all the power to you.

On the thread topic, not too excited about new mediocre music, likelihood of progressive rock is very close to zero.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I paid $270 for just okay seats (each). Ripples was not enough to overcome literally one of the worst concert experiences of my life. I should have just left the memories of the 70s show. Nothing against those who enjoyed the show - all the power to you.
    Ouch! I don't remember if I've heard that story. Was that the Toronto gig?

Ouch! I don't remember if I've heard that story. Was that the Toronto gig?
    At the Big O and not even that close to the stage.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Well PG has had almost 40 years of "well maybe", but I think PC just might do it. Chester Thompson can handle the drums. Note to Genesis: If you the three man group decides to get together, please invite Mr Hackett regardless of whether Gabriel shows up or not. He and Tony Banks are magic. Fingers crossed!

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Well PG has had almost 40 years of "well maybe", but I think PC just might do it. Chester Thompson can handle the drums. Note to Genesis: If you the three man group decides to get together, please invite Mr Hackett regardless of whether Gabriel shows up or not. He and Tony Banks are magic. Fingers crossed!
    Not to mention, Hackett is a well-oiled machine at the moment, having played so much of this stuff in recent times. And I suspect Banks hones his chops from time to time, and would be unlikely to argue including that material. The problem is, would Collins and Rutherford want to play much of it?

I found the documentary about that tour fascinating though.
    Really enjoyed the documentary - very cool how under-the-gun they were about the various effects, etc.

Fully agreed about a new recording - do it while you're still capable, fellas! A couple of rockers would be nice... something proggy (since that's not the dirty word it was back in '91)... let Tony stretch out and have another go at composing a keyboard solo. For god's sake, I was 18 years old the last time those three made an album together - I'm *40* now.
    At this point, they shouldn't be trying for a "hit single," anyway. Just make music that you'd enjoy playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Agreed - if you're going to do it, and if Hackett is an inspiration for doing it at all, include him, fer Chrissake!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Really enjoying the Hackett DVD-- only cut I really wanted to hear was Inside and Out. He really put together a thoughtful well performed set and tour.

Absolutely no interest in a 3 man Invisible Touch plus lame In the Cage medley.

No way they go to the 4 man lineup with Hackett. This seems to be a business proposal so why split the money 4 ways.

Now the 5 man HOF line up would be a financial gold mine . That's the only way Hackett gets involved .

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    At this point, they shouldn't be trying for a "hit single," anyway. Just make music that you'd enjoy playing
    What if they aren't trying for a hit single, but the music that they want to make and play is similar to their "Invisible Touch" album?

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    What if they aren't trying for a hit single, but the music that they want to make and play is similar to their "Invisible Touch" album?
    The whole discussion amazes me. They are going to play the music that made them famous. Stretching back 40 years is unlikely. The trio never showed any respect to Steve, including ignoring him on the reunion tour. They keep there 80s/90s band intact for this tour.